Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 5, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,941 of 6,302
Im not the best on cable, i dont have enough experience to say that this cable is better than that.  The cable i just ordered from Dyson will be the first ive paid more than £10/$15 for.  All i know i was a little dissapointed with the short stock cable to the point i was going to send them back.  At the time i thought it may be my player was the problem so i tried switching source to my home system and used the long cable with the adapter they sounded so much better so after a bit of testing and switching it turned out to be to my ears the long cable was better.  

there is a cable called supertech cable that fits http://www.amazon.com/Supertech-Compatible-Samsung-Smartphones-Computers/dp/B00PLTXJIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449374978&sr=1-1&keywords=supertech but to me it was not any better just shorter.  I now use this with a 2.5mm adapter on my Cayin N5 and have stopped using my amp.

maybe worth a look

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #2,942 of 6,302

I just ordered a custom cable for use with Cayin N5 from Dyson after seeing you mention them.  I was looking for a decently priced cable i couldn't bring myself to pay a lot for a cable.  Hopefully will be good.

I'm flattered.  Thank you for the compliment!

Dyson was really easy to work with and produced a really nice cable.  I purchased quite a few cables from them.  A rsa terminated cable for my Audeze LCD-2F, an RSA to 6.3 adapter, RSA to 3.5 adapter, an RSA to 4 pin XLR adapter, and a PM-3 balanced cable.  I purchased this cable for the PM-3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-SPOCC-Oppo-PM-3-Balanced-Cable-2-Meter-RSA-ALO-TRRS-/351456772442?hash=item51d474c15a.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,943 of 6,302
Just signed up for the loaner program.  Gonna give them a try and compare with my hd650 and 400i. I'll have a mini impressions/review on them.

Pretty excited to try them, as I am currently considering purchasing them in the near future.  The unfortunate reality that there is no high end audio stores around me to demo headphones pains me.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #2,944 of 6,302
  Just signed up for the loaner program.  Gonna give them a try and compare with my hd650 and 400i. I'll have a mini impressions/review on them.

Pretty excited to try them, as I am currently considering purchasing them in the near future.  The unfortunate reality that there is no high end audio stores around me to demo headphones pains me.

I have the PM3 as well as the 400i, and the 400i is a more balanced sound signature to my ears. The PM3 is warm and very easy to listen to so it will be quite forgiving. That said, the 400i has a more energetic approach and I think the lower end on the 400i is more accurate and better controlled. Now, I will have to say that these impressions are not as solid as I would normally like as I do only hear the PM3 from my phone so with my main rig where I use the 400i if it was possible to use the PM3 they may clean up down low and completely change my perspective. Still, the 400i is an awesome headphone, and I think the same about the PM3. Owning both where possible is great as the PM3 is my portable where the 400i waves goodbye as I walk out the door.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #2,945 of 6,302
I have the PM3 as well as the 400i, and the 400i is a more balanced sound signature to my ears. The PM3 is warm and very easy to listen to so it will be quite forgiving. That said, the 400i has a more energetic approach and I think the lower end on the 400i is more accurate and better controlled. Now, I will have to say that these impressions are not as solid as I would normally like as I do only hear the PM3 from my phone so with my main rig where I use the 400i if it was possible to use the PM3 they may clean up down low and completely change my perspective. Still, the 400i is an awesome headphone, and I think the same about the PM3. Owning both where possible is great as the PM3 is my portable where the 400i waves goodbye as I walk out the door.

I tend to like warm leaning headphones, so I suspect I will like these. Hopefully I get accepted for the loaner program and I can a/b all three.

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #2,946 of 6,302
Got to say I am delighted, relieved, amazed at how much the awful bass  has been tamed after a 24 hour burn in.
They are really starting to sound like I have always envisioned Planers 'should' sound
Now Im REALLY excited to hear them post 100 / 150 hour burn in
Ive never heard such a transformation in headphones before. Mighty relieved!  
They are still warm but no longer noticably warm - some albums just sound . . . as they should - Gloriously 'normal' :wink:
A new iBasso dx80 incoming as well so Im looking forward how they pair. From what I heart they should fit well
Ps: Also, thanks to the above tip - using the longer cable now as well :d

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #2,947 of 6,302
  A quick question - Ive just received the PM3's and am a bit confused with some aspects of the HP with certain music. I listen to 24/96/192 - Digital and Vinyl rip mostly
On some albums the music sounds like it as been badly mixed with aspects of the mix being muted or placed in the background. To put it another way,
some music sounds quite noticebly unbalanced in the soundstage. 
For example Santana - Caravanesi 
Other music sounds great, occasionaly sounds brilliant but it seems very dependant on the particular mixing / mastering of the album.
>The variation is enormous<
They seem really pickey and not balanced at all?
Im just starting burn in...
Sometimes, I could almost cry at the treble roll off - These could have been world class headphones - now they are...still great BUT only for specific tastes...warm
and as well, IF you like to always notice the bass in music then they seem to do this...Im not an expert with Planers but the HiFiman 400s seemed to do this as well ):

Im listening on the dx90 so i would expect a somewhat dark, heavy, bass (in general) feel with these headphones...DX80 on the way...should be interesting

Anyway - any thoughts?

This has also been my exact experience, as well. The PM-3s sound FANTASTIC with the right source material and a good amp, but there is no getting around the crippled treble. On certain material, it's not a big deal; but on other material, it is glaringly obvious. I use the PM-3s for listening at work and they are more than adequate for that task. To me, they would not be serviceable for reference-quality critical listening sessions at home. For that I continue to use my Sennheiser HD-600s with a Cardas cable upgrade.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I do love the speed and accuracy of planars, but apparently getting the response curve right is a very difficult thing to do for the manufacturers at this price point. (i.e. too much bass, too little treble, 7Khz peaks, etc)

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,948 of 6,302
This has also been my exact experience, as well. The PM-3s sound FANTASTIC with the right source material and a good amp, but there is no getting around the crippled treble. On certain material, it's not a big deal; but on other material, it is glaringly obvious. I use the PM-3s for listening at work and they are more than adequate for that task. To me, they would not be serviceable for reference-quality critical listening sessions at home. For that I continue to use my Sennheiser HD-600s with a Cardas cable upgrade.  :)

I do love the speed and accuracy of planars, but apparently getting the response curve right is a very difficult thing to do for the manufacturers at this price point. (i.e. too much bass, too little treble, 7Khz peaks, etc)

That's what makes the hd600 such a bargain. They Have excellent sound and you can get them cheaper than the pm-3. If the hd600 didn't come out more than 20 years ago, but let's say in 2015, I bet the price would be around $800 (US dollars)

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #2,949 of 6,302
I'm flattered.  Thank you for the compliment!

Dyson was really easy to work with and produced a really nice cable.  I purchased quite a few cables from them.  A rsa terminated cable for my Audeze LCD-2F, an RSA to 6.3 adapter, RSA to 3.5 adapter, an RSA to 4 pin XLR adapter, and a PM-3 balanced cable.  I purchased this cable for the PM-3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-SPOCC-Oppo-PM-3-Balanced-Cable-2-Meter-RSA-ALO-TRRS-/351456772442?hash=item51d474c15a.

Just wondering whether silver plated cable may help brighten up the slightly rolled off treble. So how do you find this SPOCC cable so far? Thanks in advance.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,950 of 6,302
Just wondering whether silver plated cable may help brighten up the slightly rolled off treble. So how do you find this SPOCC cable so far? Thanks in advance.

It won't totally fix the treble.  I EQ to fix that.  It does brighten up the headphone though.

The SPOCC cable is my go to cable now.  I have the 4 core cable.  I'm looking at getting the 8 core.  I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I want to try it.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,951 of 6,302

Micropixel,

I know this question is not for me, but let me give you my personal opinion. When I purchased my Oppo pm-3 less than 2 months ago, I was on the fence about whether or not returning them. The silver plated cable I am using, made me keep the headphones. Oppo pm-3 and silver plated cable are a great pairing. The treble sounds a bit brighter and the bass sounds tighter. The only downside is that my cable doesn't have a sleeve and it creates very annoying microphonics. I just ordered a sleeve and I am going to try and put it myself. If I were you, I would ask Dyson if they can have the cable sleeved for you. I don't know if they offer that option, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,952 of 6,302
Oppo PM-3 is Frank I's writer's choice award at headphone.guru
http://headphone.guru/headphone-guru-2015-awards-best-of-the-best/

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #2,953 of 6,302
That's what makes the hd600 such a bargain. They Have excellent sound and you can get them cheaper than the pm-3. If the hd600 didn't come out more than 20 years ago, but let's say in 2015, I bet the price would be around $800 (US dollars)

I agree 100%!   Now if only someone would make a $700 planar magnetic that is tonally similar to the HD600s but has the faster transients and awesome bass that planars are known for.....  
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,954 of 6,302

I agree 100%!   Now if only someone would make a $700 planar magnetic that is tonally similar to the HD600s but has the faster transients and awesome bass that planars are known for.....  :bigsmile_face:

A used pair of Hifiman 560's? Lol

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,955 of 6,302
^ The HE 400i is the better value compared with the 560. I owned a 560 for over a year and now own a 400i and I have to say the 400i brings the majority of the 560 experience for quite a bit less money. If that extra bit of finesse is very important to somebody, and you don't mind tendency toward brighter treble than the 560 may be worth the extra money. I find what the 400i gives up in performance to the 560 is compensated for by a smoother treble which seems to be the only part of the 560 signature that ever bothered people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back