Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 4, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,926 of 6,302
The hp50 sounds the best to my ears straight from an iPad, it's just a shame it's comfort isn't the best. I felt the pm-3 required a dedicated amp in order to really sound good.

Agreed. PM-3 sounds very good from iPhone 6s but sounds much better from Chord Mojo.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #2,927 of 6,302
Mojo and PM3 are made for each other and that's why I ordered one today. The base almost blew the headphones off my head and there was no distortions while doing so. The Mojo sound is simply astonishing, there's no other way to describe it. Mine arriving mid next week.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #2,929 of 6,302
I really like the silver plated OCC litz cables for the PM-3. They seem to enhance the sound more than other cables I've used. ELA audio on Ebay makes some really nice custom cables of this type. You can get one from Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017DNC59U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449292727&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=oppo+pm-3+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=511-DTP0UBL&ref=plSrch

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #2,932 of 6,302
Mojo and PM3 are made for each other and that's why I ordered one today. The base almost blew the headphones off my head and there was no distortions while doing so. The Mojo sound is simply astonishing, there's no other way to describe it. Mine arriving mid next week.

Yes, Mojo makes so much difference... Bass extension and slam is far superior to iDSD Micro.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #2,933 of 6,302
I really like the silver plated OCC litz cables for the PM-3. They seem to enhance the sound more than other cables I've used. ELA audio on Ebay makes some really nice custom cables of this type. You can get one from Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017DNC59U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449292727&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=oppo+pm-3+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=511-DTP0UBL&ref=plSrch

I bought practically the same cable, from the same seller. The only difference is that I asked him to make me a trrs (balanced) version to use with my hifiman. hm901s. I am very happy with my purchase. I never liked the stock cable any way. The pm-3 sounds much better with this new silver cable.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #2,934 of 6,302
PM3 and Soundblaster e5 are a great together. This DAC is driving them really well and sort of getting more detail out of the headphones than my X3 II. love the looks, portability and the sound. I was thinking buying Alfa Dogs but glad I settled for the Oppos.

Thanks for your input. I've been happy with the SB e5 partly because it's EQ can compensate the roll off treble on my NAD Viso. I want a planar and the PM-3 are ticking my boxes. I'm expecting the PM-3 will replace the NAD as the complement I need to my bright desk-bound Grados.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,935 of 6,302

I bought practically the same cable, from the same seller. The only difference is that I asked him to make me a trrs (balanced) version to use with my hifiman. hm901s. I am very happy with my purchase. I never liked the stock cable any way. The pm-3 sounds much better with this new silver cable.

I had Dyson Audio on Ebay build one like this for me. It's my favorite cable for the PM-3.  I really like cotton sleeving on my cables though.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #2,936 of 6,302
A quick question - Ive just received the PM3's and am a bit confused with some aspects of the HP with certain music. I listen to 24/96/192 - Digital and Vinyl rip mostly
On some albums the music sounds like it as been badly mixed with aspects of the mix being muted or placed in the background. To put it another way,
some music sounds quite noticebly unbalanced in the soundstage. 
For example Santana - Caravanesi 
Other music sounds great, occasionaly sounds brilliant but it seems very dependant on the particular mixing / mastering of the album.
>The variation is enormous<
They seem really pickey and not balanced at all?
Im just starting burn in...
Sometimes, I could almost cry at the treble roll off - These could have been world class headphones - now they are...still great BUT only for specific tastes...warm
and as well, IF you like to always notice the bass in music then they seem to do this...Im not an expert with Planers but the HiFiman 400s seemed to do this as well ):

Im listening on the dx90 so i would expect a somewhat dark, heavy, bass (in general) feel with these headphones...DX80 on the way...should be interesting

Anyway - any thoughts?

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #2,939 of 6,302
thanks - for the replys. appreciate it :)
@howdy
@michaelgordon 

I can hear there is a great potential there... will keep at it :)

I saw these earlier:  Are there cheaper ones [but still worthy of the price/ratio/upgrade] ?

http://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Silver-Plated-Headphone-Upgrade/dp/B017DNC59U/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&dpID=511-DTP0UBL&dpPl=1&keywords=oppo%20pm-3%20cable&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1449292727&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,940 of 6,302

I had Dyson Audio on Ebay build one like this for me. It's my favorite cable for the PM-3.  I really like cotton sleeving on my cables though.

I just ordered a custom cable for use with Cayin N5 from Dyson after seeing you mention them.  I was looking for a decently priced cable i couldn't bring myself to pay a lot for a cable.  Hopefully will be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back