Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Oct 16, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,611 of 6,302
The more I listen to the PM-3's I am finding them a bit bright, especially compared to my PM-2's ... I like them but am now not as impressed as I was :frowning2:  They seem to me ideally suited to the HA-2 though :)

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,612 of 6,302
  The more I listen to the PM-3's I am finding them a bit bright, especially compared to my PM-2's ... I like them but am now not as impressed as I was :frowning2:  They seem to me ideally suited to the HA-2 though :)

If you have access to some EQ, try pulling down the 4khz frequency by about a decibel or so. It should take care of that excess brightness for you. There's some extra stored energy around that range that can be a little fatiguing.  

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,613 of 6,302
I have the HD600 and I would like to know between them and the pm3, which one has more quantity bass and treble of the 2.

I understand these are apples and oranges. They are 2 different headphones, however since I've never heard the oppos, I need some kind of reference point. I am not trying to replace my hd600. I just want a good pair of portable headphones that I could use when traveling.

Some people refer to the pm3 as having not enough bass and treble, but not enough compared with what other headphones?

Your help is very much appreciated.

against the hd600, the pm3 shld have more subbass presence. both headphones midbass extend very evenly into the mids so its not like there should be a perceived bass boost switching between these headphones if volume matched based on the midrange or midbass. the hd600s bass rolls off much earlier (as typical of dynamic dricers) while the pm3 has a pretty linear extension all the way down. some users can find that to be different than what they are used to so can be 'bassier' but the pm3 does not have any large bass boost or mid recession, so not really bassier in that sense.

the hd600 should extend up a bit higher in the treble for a slightly airier sensation.

soundstage the hd600 will be noticeably larger. notes on the pm3 should have a bit wider spacing and sound "faster" while the hd600 is a bit more laid-back and relaxed in its presentation. imaging is solid for both.

clarity and detail resolution are excellent on both. overall frequency response balance is solid on both. the pm3 may sound a touch 'warmer' in relative comparision. the pm1/pm2 will be warmer than both the hd600 and pm3.

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,614 of 6,302
Thank you for taking your time. According to your description, I think I'll be very satisfied with the pm-3 bass. I am not a bass head. I am planning to order the oppo pm-3 today. I hope the treble doesn't disappoint me. I currently use the focal spirit pro as my portable headphones. I enjoy its sound very much, but they are very uncomfortable. That's why I am considering the pm-3.

Thanks again.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2,615 of 6,302
Thank you for taking your time. According to your description, I think I'll be very satisfied with the pm-3 bass. I am not a bass head. I am planning to order the oppo pm-3 today. I hope the treble doesn't disappoint me. I currently use the focal spirit pro as my portable headphones. I enjoy its sound very much, but they are very uncomfortable. That's why I am considering the pm-3.

Thanks again.

you're welcome.

if you are looking for an idea of how their FR curves differ, here is some helpful links.

PM-3 FR curve
HD600 FR curve

credit Tyll Hertsens at innerfidelity.com

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #2,616 of 6,302
I auditionned these yesterday and was initially considering buying them based on all the feedbacks, but I am now a bit underwhelmed after this first encounter. It's definitely a very good headphone technically speaking. I think it's a notch above all portable dynamic headphones that I've heard (to be honest even the TH900 didn't impress me much), but I found them brighter than expected. Even after equalizing my source I still found them bland and not really involving. Maybe it has something to do with the soundstage rather than the frequency response. I was expecting a more intimate presentation, especially in the mids (more like my old Sony CD900ST).
I'm wondering how the PM-3 improve with an amp? I only listened to them out of my smartphone, is that fair?

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,617 of 6,302
I auditionned these yesterday and was initially considering buying them based on all the feedbacks, but I am now a bit underwhelmed after this first encounter. It's definitely a very good headphone technically speaking. I think it's a notch above all portable dynamic headphones that I've heard (to be honest even the TH900 didn't impress me much), but I found them brighter than expected. Even after equalizing my source I still found them bland and not really involving. Maybe it has something to do with the soundstage rather than the frequency response. I was expecting a more intimate presentation, especially in the mids (more like my old Sony CD900ST).
I'm wondering how the PM-3 improve with an amp? I only listened to them out of my smartphone, is that fair?

I have found the PM-3's to sound considerably better using an amp over directly from my iPhone.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,621 of 6,302
Oct 21, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2,622 of 6,302
Absolutely, but the PM-3 doesn't need more than about 300mW into 26 Ohms to reach its full potential (judging with the amps I've tried.)

The Oppo HA-2 delivers about 250 mW into 26 Ohms - a great match.

I liked the HA-2 / PM-3 combo, but the HA-2 didn't work with my IEM's. I have a Picollo amp right now that works well and am getting. Chrlord Mojo that I think will be optimum.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,623 of 6,302

Absolutely, but the PM-3 doesn't need more than about 300mW into 26 Ohms to reach its full potential (judging with the amps I've tried.)

The Oppo HA-2 delivers about 250 mW into 26 Ohms - a great match.

HA-2 and PM-3 works great for me too.

I have a Pioneer U-05 amp and don't like the PM-3's through that ... HA-2 is enough to manage these headphones IMO.   I love the Pioneer with my PM-2's though.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #2,624 of 6,302
I am at a Paul McCartney concert.nthey have a DJ mixing before Paul coming out and he is using the PM-3 :smiley:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back