Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Sep 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #2,506 of 6,302
Has anyone got PM-2 and PM-3 or compared both to comment ?

I am thinking of adding the PM-2 to my PM-3 if it is going to be more open and improved ... but not if people think it is too similar - or, dare I say it, inferior to the PM-3 ...

Comments welcome.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,507 of 6,302
I am using both PM-1 and PM-3. In short, PM-1 sounds much natural and open than PM-3 with deeper bass, but the most significant difference is on the scale of soundstage. Overall speaking I love the sound of PM-1 much more than PM-3 but as it is open back, noise isolation is an issue and PM-1 is also a bit heavy for prolonged using.

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #2,509 of 6,302
  Has anyone got PM-2 and PM-3 or compared both to comment ?

I am thinking of adding the PM-2 to my PM-3 if it is going to be more open and improved ... but not if people think it is too similar - or, dare I say it, inferior to the PM-3 ...

Comments welcome.

You can find the answer right on the first page of this thread.

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2,510 of 6,302

You can find the answer right on the first page of this thread.

D'oh !!   Cheers 
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #2,513 of 6,302
  Are AlphaPrimes neutral? I mean I was under the impression that other than the Ether they were more bass-heavy. Well I'll probably end up with the PM-3 since the Alpha-Prime is too expensive and not portable at all anyway. I figure the PM-3 with the Fulla will be an awesome "go anywhere and have great audio with you always" combination. Edit: By the way, who sells better cables? I mean.. do they really make a difference? Is there a company I should look into for a cable that makes better ones or something? I also ask about the cables because I plan on getting the Monoprice 8323 for my dad since he's gonna be flying and doesn't have a headphone. The least I can do in return. However I'm aware that I should buy the other earpads for it, and the cable is wayyyy too long so I'll want to replace that. Surprisingly the 8323 is on sale right now for 17.99 and free shipping. **** man.

@-Alexander-,

I would say the Alpha Primes are quite close to neutral. Can be a subtle touch bassier than open headphones simply due to the additional bass reverb you get with closed earcups, but the Primes are by no means a bass-boosted pair of headphones. More mid-centric to my ears.

For the cables, they may or may not make a sonic difference... but typically, you can get much more sonic return spending that money on upgrading headphones. also, the dac/amp will have a greater impact than things like cables. I personally estimate the headphones to contribute to 70-95% of the overall sound quality and frequency balance of what you hear. dac/amp may help that remaining 5-20% percent. Things like interconnects will have an even more subtle overall impact, while their price point often surpasses some very nice mid-tier headphones.

I would say just get a cheap cable from monoprice as well since you are getting the headphones from there was well and call it a day.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,514 of 6,302
  Now available in red and blue in the UK at least.

Oh man, I just picked up a black pair at the end of July, and I really wanted the red/white pair but it wasn't on the menu.  Dang.  

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,515 of 6,302
I also bought a black pair but I'm not sad because I would want black pads with blue PM-3. I don't like white pads.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2,517 of 6,302
I'd be worried about white pads looking dirty after a while. Just like a white interior of a car... As beautiful as they are... Seems like a bad idea long term.

That's one of the reasons I don't like them... I once had white Sennheiser IEMs and they had turned yellowish after a couple of years. I just threw them away. I wouldn't want to do that to PM-3.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #2,518 of 6,302
This headphone just continues to surprise... Had my ipod on shuffle so the songs were random... and On The Couch from Prince's Musicology album came on and the bassline struck. ..... my my my.... was so unexpected I got a surprise. But its not just the bass.

In doing a comparison with the 7520, I was listenong to a song and the sony was basically neck and neck with the oppo with its bass advantage butbwith the oppo itvqasbjust better. It qas more holographic and realistic. The sony was two dimensional in comparison. And the midrange is just right for me most of the time. There are times when I hear some shoutyness... but its rare.

Its just a great sound. When u think its bass light. A track or a song comes along and reminds u....." I got the cajones"... and makes u realise... its not the headphone is lacking... its the source material.

D

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #2,520 of 6,302
I miss the green ones I tried out earlier this year, this white finish just looks cheap and tacky.

So bottom line, is it yet another on ear with boosted bass? Will we ever have flat sounding on ear ? These tick many boxes but I can't stand boosted bass. Please tell me I am wrong :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back