Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 5, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #2,131 of 6,302
  I think it has a lot to do with what you are using to drive them . As I said in a previous post, with my X5 I find the PM-3 a little light in the bass, I'm talking about level not extension. With my Opp-BDP 105 and the same recording, not at all.

The same experience for me using my vmoda m100 with Ibasso DX90 vs htc m8 + fiio e6 (no eq) + viper4android dynamic bass system. So yes definitely the source is the most important point. I have been impressed by even cheap earphones or headphones to see what they could provide with a good source.......

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #2,132 of 6,302

@flashmp3,

just a note for your own personal reference. The V-Moda M100 has a significant bass boost (~10dB) and a relatively recessed midrange (15dB difference between the bass & mids). You are not getting "music the way it was recorded" with those headphones as there is quite a bit of coloration on the M100. That being said, the M100 are quite nice headphones and you will hear more sub-bass on those compared to a lot of other headphones. The M100 are very enjoyable & fun to listen to. However, in relative comparison, the majority of more reference-tuned headphones (even the ones that people positively rate the bass quality) will not have that much sub-bass quantity.

for you, I would recommend staying away from the HD600. Go with the HD650 or old HE-400 instead as those have a darker feel to their sound signature that I think you would prefer with your M100 background. Hard to say if you will like the PM-3 has they do present the sub-bass well, but they will not have that sort of 15dB boost of the sub-bass over the mids.

Hope this information is helpful.

Vmoda M100: measurement info: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bassheads-delight-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-measurements#7M6iohEOA244lHum.97

Thanks for your feedback. It's true i definitely love big bass. I'm a dj. I listen to different kind of music (reggaeton, deep house, house, soulful,funk, top40, haitian music, etc..) but i listen mainly to hip-hop music. There is a famous producer called dj Mustard. This man creates songs truly toward bass. He plays in its instrumental with the different frequencies. Hip-hop music nowadays is a lot about bass. So yes my vmoda m100 give me the good bass but as you say the midrange is recessed so this results in reducing voice definition and globally all the midrange instruments precision. Cause when the instrumentals are made through FL Studio for example, the sample is true and is meant to reproduce the instrument perfectly. The problem of HD650 and HE400 is that from what i read they are open headphones. I listen to music a lot outside and at work (i'm not only dj) so i don't want to disturb people around me. I saw many posts of people going from VMODA M100 to OPPO PM-3 that is why i thought this could make it. I'm going to call a shop back in Paris that didn't have the PM3 for testing last time i went, to see if now it's possible to test it. As you said best way to know is to test myself.

Thank you guys i really appreciate your help advices and experiences :)

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #2,133 of 6,302
Any opinion on Denon D600 vs Oppo PM-3? Can't seem to find any comparisons online. I have the D600 right now and somewhat leaning towards upgrading to something more portable. but still have the same or better bass quality as my D600.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #2,134 of 6,302
  Any opinion on Denon D600 vs Oppo PM-3? Can't seem to find any comparisons online. I have the D600 right now and somewhat leaning towards upgrading to something more portable. but still have the same or better bass quality as my D600.

Denon is just fun headphones to listen to, but nothing to rave about when we're talking about resolution. Oppo has less bass but quality is better. I would say that Oppo is about mids, however everything else is there

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #2,138 of 6,302
Just received my loaner pair today and I'm putting them through their paces....very impressive. Very balanced and clean sounding headphones with no frequency range standing out more than it should. I'll proceed to burn them in and get to know them better and then update my thoughts on my comparative thread. But so far, things are quite promising!

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,139 of 6,302
I like my pm-3 for gaming too. Only question is if the housing on the pm-3 is big enough to fit the headphone jack on the boom mic, it's possible but probably not that likely, though I'm sure there is an adapter to be had out there that would work. If you take a chance on it, post your results...
biggrin.gif

The v-moda boompro microphone just arrived. It fits and works perfectly with the PM-3.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,141 of 6,302
This is great news! Are you using it through your PC? Or through a game console? I intend to try and use them through the new Xbox controller (more powerful amp than the original). I'd love to hear your thoughts on that application.

I'm using them with an Astro Mixamp Pro connected to a PS4. It works perfectly. The connector on the boompro mic has a trrs connection which will work with Astro Mixamps, PS4 controllers, and smart phones. V-moda supplies a Y-adapter, which is compatible with the pc, thats splits the mic and headphone. This mic sounds very similar to the ModMic 4.0.

Hopefully the new xbone controller will function just like the PS4 controller.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #2,143 of 6,302
  Just received my loaner pair today and I'm putting them through their paces....very impressive. Very balanced and clean sounding headphones with no frequency range standing out more than it should. I'll proceed to burn them in and get to know them better and then update my thoughts on my comparative thread. But so far, things are quite promising!

I have mine with a Silver Dragon cable and it helped opening the sound a bit. IMO they can't be beat for the money. I love them out of my AK240.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,144 of 6,302
The v-moda boompro microphone just arrived. It fits and works perfectly with the PM-3.

With that then these are most likely the very best versatile closed headphones out there.

Now the question is, Where on the Interwebz can I purchase them, with international shipping (to Chile)? For some reason Oppo's site does not offer it, and they aren't in Amazon US.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,145 of 6,302
  I'm using them with an Astro Mixamp Pro connected to a PS4. It works perfectly. The connector on the boompro mic has a trrs connection which will work with Astro Mixamps, PS4 controllers, and smart phones. V-moda supplies a Y-adapter, which is compatible with the pc, thats splits the mic and headphone. This mic sounds very similar to the ModMic 4.0.

Hopefully the new xbone controller will function just like the PS4 controller.

Planning on picking up the new xbox1 controller. Looks like i'll grab a boom mic at the same time. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back