Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,126 of 6,302
  This^

Though there are a lot of portable headphones kicking around in the full size headphones too... 

This.

I don't get why the Oppo PM-3 is on this forum. This has been happening a lot lately. Iems (custom, universal, and earphones) should be their own thing, while traditional Headphones (Over-ear and On-ear) should be it's own thing as well. It's just confusing is all. The term portable is pretty subjective most of the time anyway, except when it comes to iems.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,128 of 6,302
Still, the Sennheiser Momentum 1, Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6, NAD Viso HP50, Bowers and Wilkins P series, Sony MDR series are all portable and have mic controls, yet they are on the full-size forum. Even among discussions in the Audeze EL-8 thread, the Oppo PM-3 is often mentioned and compared. I don't know. Guess I'm nitpicking. I just want more people to be exposed to these among it's contemporaries so we can hopefully get more purchase/testing comparisons and reviews. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,129 of 6,302
  Still, the Sennheiser Momentum 1, Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6, NAD Viso HP50, Bowers and Wilkins P series, Sony MDR series are all portable and have mic controls, yet they are on the full-size forum. Even among discussions in the Audeze EL-8 thread, the Oppo PM-3 is often mentioned and compared. I don't know. Guess I'm nitpicking. I just want more people to be exposed to these among it's contemporaries so we can hopefully get more purchase/testing comparisons and reviews. 

Actually you make a fair point. I tend not to notice which forum threads are in once I have subscribed to them.  It does seem inconsistant.  Perhaps a division between HPs and earphones/iems would make more sense.  

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,130 of 6,302
Yea, they should define the sections a bit more. They could have over ear headphones and on ears + iems since there aren't many on ear headphones and as far as I know, all on ears are really intended to be portable. Either that or split it into iems/earbuds and then just all headphones which makes the most sense personally.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,131 of 6,302
How do the PM3s compare to something like the SE846. I know, apples and oranges. But if I wanted one headphone for portable use, with sound quality being a priority, followed by isolation (don't want to disturb the rest of the office, fellow passengers, etc), what's going to sound better? The cheaper closed back or the more expensive IEM?

Cheers.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,132 of 6,302
  How do the PM3s compare to something like the SE846. I know, apples and oranges. But if I wanted one headphone for portable use, with sound quality being a priority, followed by isolation (don't want to disturb the rest of the office, fellow passengers, etc), what's going to sound better? The cheaper closed back or the more expensive IEM?

Cheers.

Well obviously the iems are going to be more portable, and depending on the tips they will probably have equal or more isolation. Personally for comfort I've never liked iems which is why I go for portable headphones when I'm on the go.

As for sound, can't say I've ever heard the se846's but most people seem to think they're excellent. Would probably be better than the pm-3 (and at over double the cost I should hope so!)

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,133 of 6,302
  Well obviously the iems are going to be more portable, and depending on the tips they will probably have equal or more isolation. Personally for comfort I've never liked iems which is why I go for portable headphones when I'm on the go.

As for sound, can't say I've ever heard the se846's but most people seem to think they're excellent. Would probably be better than the pm-3 (and at over double the cost I should hope so!)

No, SE846 is boring (I had it and sold it). I would recommend Earsonics Velvet, I don't know how it compares to PM-3 though as I have not heard PM-3 yet. The clarity and bass quantity/quality of the Velvet is amazing. I also didn't like IEMs prior to trying Earsonics products but now I can't leave the house without my Velvets, I miss them so much if I don't take them with me.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,134 of 6,302
  No, SE846 is boring (I had it and sold it). I would recommend Earsonics Velvet, I don't know how it compares to PM-3 though as I have not heard PM-3 yet. The clarity and bass quantity/quality of the Velvet is amazing. I also didn't like IEMs prior to trying Earsonics products but now I can't leave the house without my Velvets, I miss them so much if I don't take them with me.

Huh, interesting... 

I kinda wanna try delving into iems again, I didn't really check out if there was a certain type of tips that I actually found comfortable...

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,135 of 6,302

Don't think of price as a linear progression. Certain companies throw things out happy to make a penny on every pound, some prefer to take care of their image, others have amazing mass production skills that net savings down the line and they thrive on that model. The only time it is fair to compare price is between two equally set up competitors, or better yet, between models in a company's own line. Otherwise, it is pointless. 

The PM-3 is a bargain on all fronts: well made, easy to use, great machine quality, attention to detail that goes far beyond everything on the market, great branding, and good-to-great sound. The SE846 isn't as strong on the branding, but on the engineering front it is one of the most appealing products I've ever tested. You can read my thoughts here. Of course, if its sound isn't to your liking, it won't tickle you. I tend to prefer a more exciting sound, so getting used to the SE846 (and the PM-3, which I reviewed here) took time. But love both I do. And, in the end, I purchased a PM-3. The SE846 has one problem that kept me from purchase: comfort, which is only good but not great. Comfort for me is the most important thing, followed by ease of use. It's a given that hi-end headphones from reliable manufacturers and sold to audiophiles are going to sound good. So that is a given, and is last in importance to me. I expect it to sound good. If it doesn't even do that, chances are that it is great on other fronts are nill.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,136 of 6,302
  Huh, interesting... 

I kinda wanna try delving into iems again, I didn't really check out if there was a certain type of tips that I actually found comfortable...

I could not get a good fit with regular silicone tips of any size, result was lousy bass. Foam tips were uncomfortable and painful to wear. Earsonics Velvet comes with 3 pairs of double flange (all same size, one size fits all I guess) silicone tips which fit and isolate perfectly. From now on, it's only double flange for me, they're great.

By the way how does this sound with PM-3?

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,140 of 6,302
Also noted in the DAR review (factory/PM-3)

Also dropped into the audience’s lap was news of planned colour variations. The PM-3 are currently available in black or white. The red, blue and green variations slated for release later this year are likely to divide opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back