Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 9, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #991 of 6,302
  I bought these headphones, haven't listened to em much but thinking of returning; i like the neutral sh tone, comfort, and portability, but....
a) the isolation isn't as good as i hoped...and B) i barely have it loud at all and there's so much sound leakage i feel i can't listen to them in quiet situations....
anyone else experience this ?? really nice looking headphones though...

Doesn't sound right to me. If i put my pm-3s around my thigh so the pads are sealed and play music at normal listening levels i have to strain to hear anything at all. It must be a bad seal or something imo. Isolation is pretty good for me too, not the best i have experienced but above average imo.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #992 of 6,302
lol the he560 has pretty sick sound stage for an open pair of headphones. kinda unfair comparision. opwn headphones almost always have a larger soundstage. the pm3s have great sound stage for a closed pair of headphones but not best in its class like the primes or k550 (those two have the best soundstage of all closed headphones ive heard). th900 also supposedly has great sound stage but i havent heard them. note of three of those are nonportable. if just talking abt portable closed, the pm3s sound stage is quite competitive, but not going to be as good as an open

Yeah, I don't expect them to be as open as a open headphone. I just don't want them to sound too closed.  I do want these as strictly a portable/work solution, which means it has to be closed.  For home I'm keeping the he 560s.  I can't find anywhere that has them in stock online though, which kind of sucks.  Oppo only has the white ones.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #993 of 6,302
  How do these compare to the Hifiman HE-560s in terms of soundstage?  I know the 560s are like twice the price.  I don't intend on replacing them, just want them as my portable/work headphones.  I don't want something that feels like it's generating audio inside my ear.  That's just painful.  It's the reason I got rid of my Audeze LCD-2s and replaced them with the HE-560s, which were a massive improvement for me.  I'd be using them with a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc amp.

Its not even comparable imo, if you're looking for a closed back with that type of soundstage you might be looking for a long time. Pretty much all closed backs give you that inside your head sensation and the ones that dont typically do not seal very well. There are some that can give you a better sense of space like the sony mdr-1r/1a, b&o h6, shure 1540, beyer t70/t5p, ultrasone sig dj but you'll never mistake them for open headphones.
Like others have said the pm-3 has very good imagaing and seperation for its size but the overall soundstage is average for a closed can.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #994 of 6,302

Its not even comparable imo, if you're looking for a closed back with that type of soundstage you might be looking for a long time. Pretty much all closed backs give you that inside your head sensation and the ones that dont typically do not seal very well. There are some that can give you a better sense of space like the the sony mdr-1r/1a, b&o h6, shure 1540, beyer t70/t5p, ultrasone sig dj but you'll never mistake them for open headphones.

Perhaps a better comparison would be the DT 770 Pro 250 ohm headphones.  Those are what I currently use for work and I'm pretty ok with their soundstage.  The main thing I don't like is the massive amount of sound leakage they have.  It's pretty terrible for a closed back headphone.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #995 of 6,302
  Perhaps a better comparison would be the DT 770 Pro 250 ohm headphones.  Those are what I currently use for work and I'm pretty ok with their soundstage.  The main thing I don't like is the massive amount of sound leakage they have.  It's pretty terrible for a closed back headphone.

Its been a while since i had the dt770 but i don't recall experiencing much leakage from them. Currently i have the pm-3 and custom one pro as my portables. The COP seals better than the pm-3 so it has better isolation and less leakage and the bigger earcups give a more spacious sound. However they don't sound quite as good as the pm-3 and are not as easy to carry round.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #996 of 6,302
Demo units of both the HA-2 and PM-3 are now in the store here in Taipei. Will head down for a listen after work.

HA-2: NT$12,500 = US$402
PM-3: NT$15,500 = US$498

Pretty competitive pricing compared to US domestic prices at the current exchange rate.

Edit: Actually, I just realized the HA-2 is not priced competitively. Duty on "active" electronics is high in Taiwan. The headphones are "passive" and so don't suffer the increase.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #997 of 6,302
Has anyone in this forum compared model PM-3 and Solo 2? Frequency response curve from Hans030390 appears to be similar. Regarding wearing comfort: Solo 2 in my personal opinion has a high ear pressure (clamping force) and I get hot ears and discomfort after about an hour of wearing. How is the PM-3 when it comes to wearing comfort? Thanks a lot for your opinions!

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #998 of 6,302
  Has anyone in this forum compared model PM-3 and Solo 2? Frequency response curve from Hans030390 appears to be similar. Regarding wearing comfort: Solo 2 in my personal opinion has a high ear pressure (clamping force) and I get hot ears and discomfort after about an hour of wearing. How is the PM-3 when it comes to wearing comfort? Thanks a lot for your opinions!

The Solo 2 is on ear and PM-3 is around ear. The solo 2 is decent at $199 and the Oppos are $599? Seems like a strange comparison if you ask me.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #999 of 6,302
I've gotta say, it's a real bummer that these don't come with a 1.2m or 1.5m audio only cable along with the 3m cable. In australia it seems the retailers aren't including the 1.2m android or iphone cable so now I basically have to go out and buy another cable to use these PORTABLE headphones portably... The hard case and cable bag are a nice touch though. 

Anyway, does anyone know of any nice 1.2m or so audio only cables that will fit the pm-3? I can use the cables from my pm-3 but they're flimsy and I want to get a replacement for them too anyways...

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,000 of 6,302
  I've gotta say, it's a real bummer that these don't come with a 1.2m or 1.5m audio only cable along with the 3m cable. In australia it seems the retailers aren't including the 1.2m android or iphone cable so now I basically have to go out and buy another cable to use these PORTABLE headphones portably... The hard case and cable bag are a nice touch though. 

Anyway, does anyone know of any nice 1.2m or so audio only cables that will fit the pm-3? I can use the cables from my pm-3 but they're flimsy and I want to get a replacement for them too anyways...

Oppo USA sells the straight (no mic) 1.2m cable separately for $19.
http://oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=40

Scroll down towards the bottom and see the buy link next to it. I believe they ship internationally using an order form mentioned earlier in the thread.

Even better, if you have a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable that's narrow enough on one end, just use that. I've accumulated tons of cables over the years and had a few cables of different lengths that fit and work well with the PM-3.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,002 of 6,302
could i have gotten a defective set? the android cable only works out of one ear as well...the longer cable works...i bought directly from oppo.

I've already mentioned earlier that my Android cable works properly only when connected to an Android phone and not on my DAPs.
Try this - press the function button of the cable whilst listening. Do you hear now the sound in both ears?
I've raise this "issue" with Oppo and said they will try to replicate my problem. Then, I haven't heard back and I didn't care after since I can use my other cable I have for the M100.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,003 of 6,302

Try contacting your retailer or the Oppo distributor in AU. Oppo offered free 1.2M cables for their early adopters in NZ. Hopefully they are still doing it. 

Failing that, I have used the extra cable from my V-Moda-M80 successfully with no discernable difference in audio quality. They sell them separately here:

http://v-moda.com/accessories/cables

or just buy the original from Oppo. The V-Moda cables look hella cool, are extremely tough and come with a 45-degree jack that is an improvement over the Oppo cable. Ymmv.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #1,005 of 6,302
Just pulled the trigger on a pair for the office from A2A. Should be here tomorrow, will give comparisons from my HE400s and Mad Dog Pros. Keen :)

Still not sure whether I will get a dac/amp for the office, will give it a go out of my iPhone and PC, see how it goes. I was thinking of just going for the Dragonfly though, it's pretty cheap and seems to be very highly regarded. Won't need all that much power for the office, and it's mainly about the DAC in my PC at work being terrible haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Snarly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting, bit of a bummer. Might have to give Oppo a bell and see what they can do, as suggested above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back