Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #466 of 6,302

I got my Z7's yesterday, and while they are comfortable, the beyerdynamic DT-770's are more more comfortable to me. While I have med to small ears, I prefer the larder cups of the 770s. Also, the velour is cooler on the head. But, to each his own.

Never tried the 770s (hard to imagine larger earcups than the Z7) but I agree velour on my HD598s stays cooler after a while. Perhaps we need an official comfort checklist on head-fi. Guess heat retention or breathability should be on the list too.

I can tell from the very first instant of putting them on if I can wear a headphone for more than a few minutes. Like trying on a hat thats a bit too tight vs. one that you could forget your wearing.

My Denon D1001s are extremely comfy but they weigh almost nothing sitting on your head. In comparison, the much larger (and all metal) Z7s cover your head and shouldn't be as comfy as they really are.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #467 of 6,302
I hear a lot of people say that, but for me they just sound more like I'm in a theater. Vocals center stage and slightly back, instruments wrapped around and off to the sides. Like a big semi circle. It puts you second row up and in the middle.

It's not only about presence but also about details, resolution
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #468 of 6,302
Had mine for 6 days now and while I'm quite happy with the SQ I'm less pleased about the clamping pressure. I have tried some gentle bending of the head band and that has helped a little but at this stage half an hour is about tops for me before things get uncomfortable.
The PM-3 was going to replace the PM-1 in my bedroom system but there in no comparison over comfort, the big boys winning hands down.
At this stage I'm finding the PM-3 worse than the HD650 and Philips X1 as far as clamping pressure.

I'll give them another week or so but if things don't improve then sadly I may have to sell them and possibly look at a PM-2 for the bedroom(or bring the RS1s out of retirement).

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #471 of 6,302
Hi,
Can someone compare pm-3 to Sony mdr7520 and dt770. I would like to buy one of them. It would be great, if you can compere them to some of these I heard pm-1, shure 1540, mdr-1r.
Thanks

@igelitka: pm-3 vs pm-1 (from memory, not direct comparison) - pm-1 has an warmer overall texture, both share similar smooth presentation of treble & sound stage should be quite similar (pm-1 may have a slight edge d/t semi-open design, but the pm-1 did not really have a truly expansive open headphone sound stage from my experience with them, so probs very close). i personally thought the pm-3's overall presentation was more neutral & clear to my ears as the pm-1 have that extra warmth (though that extra warmth was quite enjoyable).

pm-3 vs mdr-1r (from memory, not direct comparison) - mdr-1r was a mid-centric pair of headphones to my ears with an unique coloration. I remember that the mdr-1r had a mid-bass boost. mdr-1r was very enjoyable to listen to, but definitely not neutral-oriented. resolution was not as good in direct comparison against the k550 and momentum over-ears gen1. I think the pm-3 would offer an appreciate sonic upgrade to the mdr-1r in terms of detail retrieval, speed, and clarity (said think b/c did not direct compare, but pretty confident that is an accurate statement). pm-3 also have a more natural & well-balanced sound signature (to my ears).

not enough headtime on the others to make any helpful comments. please check out my review in my sig if you want further details :)

Had mine for 6 days now and while I'm quite happy with the SQ I'm less pleased about the clamping pressure. I have tried some gentle bending of the head band and that has helped a little but at this stage half an hour is about tops for me before things get uncomfortable.
The PM-3 was going to replace the PM-1 in my bedroom system but there in no comparison over comfort, the big boys winning hands down.
At this stage I'm finding the PM-3 worse than the HD650 and Philips X1 as far as clamping pressure.

I'll give them another week or so but if things don't improve then sadly I may have to sell them and possibly look at a PM-2 for the bedroom(or bring the RS1s out of retirement).

@tuatara, also try adjusting the headband larger! I found that I was actually wearing my pair of pm3s too tightly and it turned out to be much more comfortable for me at 3 notches up than my original setting of 2 notches up.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #473 of 6,302

tuatara, try putting PM-3 on some box (from headphones for examle) for a night. This could help

Go back a page or two in this thread; I have similar issue with the clamping pressure.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #475 of 6,302
You forgetting one thing!

The EL-8 are not portable!!! Half of kilo of weight -  you must be kidding!!!
Same weight as the LCD-2 Bamboo.

So the only truely portable planar magnetic to go for is the PM-3.

They are heavy in the hand but once on my head felt quite good and balanced. I had no trouble walking around with them. Yeh they're not the most portable around but are still up to the task.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #476 of 6,302
I'm super torn between these, the EL8 and ATH M70X, any recommendations?
My favorite headphones right now is the HD700 (I know, you think they suck but I like them and I just wanted to give you guys some form of guideline of my preference in sound signature.)

I didnt think the m70 was anything special, typical AT house sound and a little bright up top for my tastes. You may actually like them if the hd700 is your taste. The Pm-3 and el-8 are far smoother and more musical imo.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #477 of 6,302
Hi,
Can someone compare pm-3 to Sony mdr7520 and dt770. I would like to buy one of them. It would be great, if you can compere them to some of these I heard pm-1, shure 1540, mdr-1r.
Thanks

If you liked the pm-1 youll like the pm-3 as they are quite similar. Dt770 is more V shaped with recessed mids. 7520 has a stronger bass response, mids not as forward or as smooth and being a studio monitor its quite revealing and unforgiving of poor recordings. It really depends what you plan to use the headphones for.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #478 of 6,302

Never tried the 770s (hard to imagine larger earcups than the Z7) but I agree velour on my HD598s stays cooler after a while. Perhaps we need an official comfort checklist on head-fi. Guess heat retention or breathability should be on the list too.

I can tell from the very first instant of putting them on if I can wear a headphone for more than a few minutes. Like trying on a hat thats a bit too tight vs. one that you could forget your wearing.

My Denon D1001s are extremely comfy but they weigh almost nothing sitting on your head. In comparison, the much larger (and all metal) Z7s cover your head and shouldn't be as comfy as they really are.

Here they are side by side. The Z7s are about 2.75" long, but oblong shaped. The Beyers are 2.25 round. So, it all comes down to what touches your head and ear. The beyers feel bigger.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #479 of 6,302
  hahah... i personally agree with you & matt about that, but hey... I do think it is actually doable to be on-the-go with the el-8. i've seen people with mad dogs used as "portables," akg k550 as "portables," and th600s as "portables." none of those I personally think are actually portable, but some people definitely try! hahah.

Yeah it's crazy what some people are willing to do for music on the go. :wink:

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #480 of 6,302
I once tried using my Alpha Dogs as portable. I felt very out of place, and I am use to that by being bald and a beard, that Brian Johnson, from AC/DC, says is outrageous. The oppo pm-3 looks just what I had in mind, for a portable orthodynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back