Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 19, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #376 of 6,302
  Quick question for those that have the PM-3 with the iPhone cable version.

Does the iPhone/iPod cable controls also control volume adjustments or is it just for play/pause/skip and phone functions?

If this question has been asked and answered previously, my apologies for asking again.I checked the Oppo website and saw no mention of volume adjustment control in the cable.

Thanks

Hopefully that answers your question.  You do have a choice though, they do make both cables, a single button and a triple.  

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #377 of 6,302
Maybe you could just marry her. Then you'd technically own both.

That's a high price to pay for a pair of headphones...

...for an SR-009, maybe...but not for a PM3. 
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #378 of 6,302
Tough call, right before buying the PM-3 I found some guy on the web that ranked the portables and he ranked the H6 first and PM-3 second. It nearly changed my mind on buying the PM-3.

I definitely want to hear them, but the PM-3 is better than all the others in this category that I've heard, and I've heard most of the usual suspects.

Maybe you could just marry her. Then you'd technically own both.

I bought one of each thinking I'd return one of them  Trouble is, now I don't want to part with either one.  I am a drum-aholic, and The H6 is so clean sounding when I want to hear great hi-hat work for example.  But, I'm preferring the PM-3 at work due to the better isolation and because I recently realized I prefer a warmer sound in louder and more stressful environments.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #379 of 6,302

I bought one of each thinking I'd return one of them  Trouble is, now I don't want to part with either one.  I am a drum-aholic, and The H6 is so clean sounding when I want to hear great hi-hat work for example.  But, I'm preferring the PM-3 at work due to the better isolation and because that I like a warmer sound in a louder and more stressful environment.

You are not making this any easier for me.  Just lie to me and tell me that the PM3 is better. 
mad.gif

So how does the sub-bass compare between these two models?   How about the highs? 

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #381 of 6,302
The pm-3 is better, but I still like my h6 a lot. Feel better now, ha.

Jim

Yes...feeling better.   Now where is my wallet?
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #383 of 6,302

Thanks Tinyman392,

I appreciate the photo as well :)

That's the first photo that definitively showed the iPhone cable with controls. I think all other photos I've seen must have been for Android devices with just the one click button remote.

I think that photo (and everything else I've been reading about the PM-3) has just pushed me over to the "Buy" button.

I'm a big fan of Oppo gear---have the BDP-105, BDP-93, BDP 83, PM-!, HA-!, just got the HA-2 last week. It's almost getting to be like an Oppo showroom in my house now...lol

Cheers

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #384 of 6,302
I would agree that the PM-3 is an all-around "better" HP.  The H6 sounds like it must have a hole in the upper bass frequencies.  You get decent thud of a bass drum, but the upper bass must be recessed for the mids and treble to stand out like they do. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #386 of 6,302

Thanks Tinyman392,

I appreciate the photo as well :)

That's the first photo that definitively showed the iPhone cable with controls. I think all other photos I've seen must have been for Android devices with just the one click button remote.

I think that photo (and everything else I've been reading about the PM-3) has just pushed me over to the "Buy" button.

I'm a big fan of Oppo gear---have the BDP-105, BDP-93, BDP 83, PM-!, HA-!, just got the HA-2 last week. It's almost getting to be like an Oppo showroom in my house now...lol

Cheers

No problem.  Hope you enjoy the PM-3.  It's a fun headphone for sure :)  The 3-button remote comes in handy too.  

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #387 of 6,302
The pm-3 is better, but I still like my h6 a lot. Feel better now, ha.

Jim

This is my exact dilemma ATM. Had a listen to the PM3 and H6 today - liked both!! Comfort of the H6 may win out in the end but its so damn close its a difficult choice. Someone who has heard both for a longer period may be able to give a better insight but I liked both and really cant choose between them......

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #389 of 6,302
The p7 is very comparable to the pm-3 in regards to detailed sound. The p7 is a more v shaped, forward, closed in sounding headphone even though it does have more bass. The pm-3 is more balanced, laid back, and wider sounding, and very much more comfortable. I like headphones that fold flat as opposed to fold on themselves, I think they are easier to pack.

Jim

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #390 of 6,302
Did anybody compare the PM-3s to the B&W P7? They sounded slightly more revealing compared to the H6

reallyy? was this a direct comparison? i personally thought the b&w p7 was overpriced for its sonics & sound sig (totally subjective opinion, ymmv). heard great things about the h6 so excited to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back