Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,366 of 6,313
Mon ordered from oppo (status back ordered) default shipping
Tues back ordered status disappeared from oppo website
Wednesday received pm-3's

hmmm. oppo efficiency... I like it! :beerchug:

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #1,369 of 6,313
I just bought the centrance hifi-skyn. I am quite surprised no one thought of the concept before (amp/dac attached to iphone). It was a no brainer. Added the extreme amp option just to future proof it. 

The V-MODA Metallo and VAMP VERZA were actually released two years ago and it's a similar concept.
VERZA_screen_metallo_records_color.png

It kind of died out though because new smartphones came out too quickly and it became obsolete, essentially.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,370 of 6,313
The V-MODA Metallo and VAMP VERZA were actually released two years ago and it's a similar concept.

It kind of died out though because new smartphones came out too quickly and it became obsolete, essentially.

I think it died more because of its outrageous price tag. audiophiles would probably be willing to purchase a case that clips to a dac/amp combo, but the pricing can't that ridiculous... $600 for the dac/amp and $100 for a smart phone case??? let's be real... no one is going to buy that. price an inexpensive $30 or less case that can clip to your amplifier and smart phone, I can see a lot of interest. After playing around with rubber bands for the past few weeks, I can safely say that rubber bands are an extremely poor way to attach your dac/amp to your phone. I think some sort of velcro would be a lot better, but that is more reasonable to do on a DAP rather than a phone that will be unattached for the majority of the time.

edit: hell if oppo made a $30 case and clip for the ha-2 with the galaxy s5, I would buy it today.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,371 of 6,313
  I think it died more because of its outrageous price tag. audiophiles would probably be willing to purchase a case that clips to a dac/amp combo, but the pricing can't that ridiculous... $600 for the dac/amp and $100 for a smart phone case??? let's be real... no one is going to buy that. price an inexpensive $30 or less case that can clip to your amplifier and smart phone, I can see a lot of interest. After playing around with rubber bands for the past few weeks, I can safely say that rubber bands are an extremely poor way to attach your dac/amp to your phone. I think some sort of velcro would be a lot better, but that is more reasonable to do on a DAP rather than a phone that will be unattached for the majority of the time.

edit: hell if oppo made a $30 case and clip for the ha-2 with the galaxy s5, I would buy it today.

I'm not a fan of rubber bands either. Each time I've tried using them with a Fiio E17 and now the iDSD Micro, the bands get in the way and having to undo them every time the amp is not needed is a chore.

I've used velcro but recently, instead of "sticking" adhesive velcro strips to everything as I normally would do, I got a case just large enough to fit the Micro and my Note3 (though it was tough finding a very short otg usb cable to fit). They fit snuggly enough that no rubber bands are needed and they don't move once inserted. The case can be strapped to a belt or bag and I plan to use the combo with the PM-3 once I get a right angle 3.5mm cable or adapter.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #1,372 of 6,313
Just thought I would post some of my impressions of the PM-3. I thought the sound was very nice and smooth, however the upper treble seemed a bit rolled off which meant that it was lacking a bit of air and detail. With certain tracks this plays very nice and can smooth out harsh or piercing treble however on other tracks while it didn't sound bad the treble just didn't quite have the air that I would have liked. You could still hear everything in the treble but it wasn't as present and airy and detailed. Compared to my NAD Viso HP50 I found myself preferring the sound of the HP50 because they were very close in the bass and mids and the HP50 had an airier treble that while not at all harsh had better detail. The bass of the PM-3 was superior to that of the HP50 it was tighter, more controlled and more even. The bass on the HP50 by comparison sounded a little boomy and seemed to go a little too far into the midrange but the difference was not huge and both were very good. The midrange on the PM-3 was also great and sounded very smooth yet detailed however the lack of air in the upper treble did seem to affect certain things in the midrange at times.

As far as comfort is concerned I am sure most will find these headphones very comfortable. They are a bit heavy for a portable but not bad and the construction is very nice and solid. The headband is well padded and the shape is very good at conforming to the head and not having hot spots. The ear pads are very soft and comfortable and are of about average depth. On my ears however the earpads were not deep enough, they were fine for about an hour and quite comfortable but after that because my ear was touching the driver and being pushed in my ears would get sore. The problem is not as bad with these as it is with the stock HP50 or Shure SRH440 for me but there is one big difference. With the Shure I was able to get 840 pads and put coax wire under the back of the pad to raise it up a bit and make it quite comfortable. On the HP50 I was also able to put coax cable under the outside of the pad to raise it up and push my ear further from the driver, not super comfortable but better. Unfortunately because of the way the pads are on the PM-3 you cannot get underneath the edge to put anything. Ultimately this combined with the rolled off treble and the fact that I prefer the sound of my HP50s was a deal breaker for me.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #1,376 of 6,313
  About 5 or 6 days.

Recommend giving them some more time (if possible) before making a decision. The PM-3, for some reason, takes a little longer than others to really be heard.

After the 1st week, I was also ready to return my PM-3s due to too much clamping force but ended up unpacking them again and cancelling the return rma.

I couldn't go without their sound. The PM-3 was simply more accurate and much more revealing than any of my other headphones. Also found they're more comfy after fully extending the both sides (based on recommendation from another head-fier).

I've also read no less than 3 posts in this thread (2 of them a page or two back) of people who re-ordered the PM-3 after fully returning them.

I don't work for Oppo. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on mine (and maybe a few others') experience.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,379 of 6,313
Could anyone describe the soundstage on these things? I know it's no open headphone, but relative to similarly-priced closed cans?

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #1,380 of 6,313

Recommend giving them some more time (if possible) before making a decision. The PM-3, for some reason, takes a little longer than others to really be heard.

After the 1st week, I was also ready to return my PM-3s due to too much clamping force but ended up unpacking them again and cancelling the return rma.

I couldn't go without their sound. The PM-3 was simply more accurate and much more revealing than any of my other headphones. Also found they're more comfy after fully extending the both sides (based on recommendation from another head-fier).

I've also read no less than 3 posts in this thread (2 of them a page or two back) of people who re-ordered the PM-3 after fully returning them.

I don't work for Oppo. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on mine (and maybe a few others') experience.

I'm one of those idiots 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back