Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #5,356 of 6,302
I have the AKG Q701 and definitely prefer the sound of the Oppo PM3. The bass has more impact and the treble has clarity without being fatiguing. The AKG semi open design does give a sense of room space whereas the PM3 are more intimate. For cool jazz or chamber music I will turn to the AKG but otherwise select the PM3 when it’s time to rock out, swing to big band or immerse in full orchestra. The PM3 are more comfortable and will play louder and with more authority from a smartphone or tablet, although I more often use them with the Oppo HA2 portable DAC Amp.

I also have the Momentum on ear and those have a boost in mid bass and in treble that I’ve learned many folks on this site will call a “fun” tuning. In comparison the PM3 is more sedate. I like that for indoor listening but choose the Momentum for walking about, when the Momentum pop helps move my feet.

In short, if I can have only one, then the PM3. But the fun of this part of the audio hobby is how different HP provide different yet satisfying experiences for less cash than buying different speakers. Enjoy!

Hi, thank you for your answer.
I don't know about the Q701, I have the K701 and these Headphones are the best I've ever heard in my life for alle musical genres. I did the reversible bass mod, look here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod.660408/
In addition I am using the FiiO A5 AMP. Unfortunately I can't hear them on the go but only at home.

Hi itman,

Don't have the other two headphones you mentioned but have done demos enough to know while good for classical & this is highly subjective & personal, those headphones aren't for me.

The PM3 has no problem with classical or any genre for that matter, just depends on your taste.

Keep in mind, if you want to be technical, which is why it's tricky to compare, Momentum 1 & 701 have dynamic drivers, wheres PM3 are planar magnetic, hence the name.
Main difference being one has a driver which moves as well as vibrates more than the other, think a small speaker driver vs a flat sheet which has less physical movement caused by an electric current &/or signal going through it.
In most cases, Dynamic driver (the small speakers) generally not only need more signal to move &/or vibrate but also takes a bit more to stop.
Whereas, a Planar Magnetic Driver can move & stop with more speed and precision.
This is also where tuning and impedence rating comes in as the latter is defined by how little electric resistance it needs to be efficient. (lower is generally better)
Imagine controlling waterflow through a tap, the more you turn, obviously the more water comes through. This is where volume & audio level comes in by turning the volume knob on your gear to where you can hear comfortably and clearly the details from your source (music, speech, etc) not how necessarily how loud it is.
This is subjective but impedence can be seen as how little you need that tap or knob to turn to enjoy it.
A good way to test equipment & gear to see how good it is, by seeing how low the you can consistently make it to enjoy it without being too loud.
If something is just loud, doesn't mean the detail is always good &/or clear either but that's another topic.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information!
I am thinking also about SRH 1540. Did you compare them before you bought the PM3?

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #5,357 of 6,302
Hi itman,

Yes, I did demo the SRH 1540 extensively before I settled on PM3, at the time, it was more than I wanted to spend at the time & being outside the US, that usually means much more than average retail.

Another reason for choosing the PM3 as value wise, it was still more worth it though it took a little while to get it.
Before I forget, look into the balanced cable which is available as an option as there is an obvious difference between the stock & balanced but then is highly subjective as this comes down to personal preference on how you listen to music.

Differences are as follows :
Stock : Slightly thin sound at really low volume, narrower head space sound which seems front facing approximately angled at 25 degrees
Balanced : Stronger consistent signal at all volumes, subjectively just right head space with sound coming from rear sides also approximately angled at 25 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #5,359 of 6,302
Hi itman,

Apologies, no, PM3 is definitely cheaper overall than 1540, just at purchase time, PM3 was more in my budget & I wanted to have a good planar magnetic headphone.

I like both PM3 & 1540 but still first choice would be PM3.

Hope this helps

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #5,362 of 6,302
Hi again, please, does anybody of you know where I can get replacement ear pads for the PM3´s in Europe (or elsewhere)?
Oppo UK sold me some, pretty expensive though. Not on their site anymore I see. But if you email them they might offer some.
Now that I have 2 frames from the old ones, I'll buy some pads from aliexpress next time and fabricate something myself.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #5,364 of 6,302
Clean and spacious with those pads, but the mids and bass are with less body IMG_20171127_191645.jpg

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #5,367 of 6,302
Nov 30, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #5,369 of 6,302
with those pads and a little bit of EQ ( i hate mid bass) they sound sweet, very clean and spacious, with those pads they absolutely destroyed my modded T50rp, i made long comparison last night, when the pm3 was with stock pads i thought that the modded t50rp sound cleaner but now is other way around, pads can make a huge difference, iv learn that when i start experimenting with the Audioquest NightHawk

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #5,370 of 6,302
Hey folks,
I just got the oppo pm3 a few days ago for some audition.
my question, does it scale well with a good amp/dac? because like this it sounds very flat and boring to me...
like not engaging at all. I must say I like rock and a warmer sound signature. So I guess its just a bad match-up as well...but I am seriously having a hard time to be impressed by this can...
any experiences will amps/dacs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back