OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
Jul 9, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #316 of 991
Just recieved the PM-3s, iPhone>Norne SolvX Cable>Apex Glacier>Regular long cable (sounds slightly better than iPhone cable>PM-3s. So far, very nice, Richard Thompson sounds very good. These have a very good soundstage for closed cans, more later.....

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #318 of 991
PM-3 Unit #6 arrived!
You may not see me here for a little while 
beyersmile.png

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #319 of 991
PM-3 Unit #7 arrived at my house. I want to thank OPPO for the awesome program and amazing headphones.

Although the program rules should include sending a PM or email tracking number to the next participant. I came home during a rainstorm to find USPS had left the package on my porch. The box was damp and damaged from the rain, but the main contents were dry.

Now to the headphones, they are the best closed back headphones I have ever heard.

Comparing them to my other planar the HE-500, they don't have as much air, bass bloom, separation or soundstage.... mostly a restriction of a closed back and smaller membrane. I would have also like the treble *slightly* less rolled off. However I also find them to be more accurate and (in a few ways) more resolving than the HE-500 (especially around 1-3K) and almost as textured. There is absolutely no exaggeration to them.

The PM-3 confirm the Harman target curve (beyond 200Hz) as almost the ideal. I hear the recording noise floor better than just about any headphone ever. I can see wearing them for long periods without a hint of fatigue, very comfortable. 

I hope to be adding some more observations after my week. I'm going to avoid reading any reviews as to not cloud my observations.

I am just so darned impressed with what OPPO has accomplished on their third try. They have really raised the bar; and I for one am grateful for the added marketplace excitement. I might even miss these enough to purchase them. I can confirm they also work great right out of my Sansa Clip Zip. :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #320 of 991
I am interested in the loaner program. I have read and agree to the terms and conditions.

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #321 of 991
I received loaner #8 today and have spent most of the day checking them over. I had a think about what to compare them to, and what to use as source, and finally decided on the following:

Headphones:

1. NAD Viso HP50 (My current mobile headphone that goes with my Earwerkz Legend -r) - plus point for this test - the HP50 and PM'3 use the same connector
2. Hifiman HE-560
3. PM-3

I've decided to stick with an iPhone6 either on it's own or with an Oppo HA-2 to test with the HP50, a MacPro -> Matrix X-Sabre -> Little Dot MKIV SE with CV4015 tubes with the HE-560's.

Tracks I have used so far:

1. Holst: The Planets - Jupiter - Karajan recording
2. Beverley Craven - I listen to the Rain
3. Martin Garrix - Animals
4. Johnny Cash - The Legend - various tracks
5. London Grammar - If You Wait

I found that spending much time with the HE-560 and the PM-3's to be a little pointless, as I found the PM-3's to be generally outclassed, but they did still sound quite good on the home set up - when I compared the HP50's to the PM-3's on the home set up, there was a noticeable difference.

Initial thoughts:

1. The HP50 sounds better than the PM-3 direct from the iPhone
2. The PM-3 sounds better from the HA-2 than the HP50
3. When comparing, the PM-3 has more of a scoop in the mids than the HP50. The consequence is that the PM3 has more clarity, and the HP50's sound more lush
4. With certain tracks I found the treble to be a bit harsh on the PM-3's (high strings, and when female vocals step on the gas in the high register)
5. Piano and acoustic guitar sound excellent with the PM-3's, but rather woolly in comparison on the HP50's.

Overall, I am finding as I am on my musical journey that I prefer a bit of treble boost, but around 4k bothers me (I have a bit of hearing loss/tinnitus in that range). I did find the PM-3's to sound a little empty, but that was specifically directly from the iPhone - with the HA-2 that emptiness disappeared.

I really found the HP50's sound very musical, but cannot handle the complexity of a full orchestra without getting muddy. But, Beverley Craven's voice is incredibly good! On the other hand, Martin Garrix had more energy, as the bass on the PM-3 was more precise, and overall the soundstage of the PM-3 sounded more open. HP50 = listening to an artist in a club, PM-3 = listening to an artist in a hall.

Now, I had put my HA-2 up for sale today, but I am seriously considering keeping it, and getting the PM-3's with the HP50's as back ups.

So, that's 7 hours listening in with 6 more days to go :) Although, I'm off to Orlando for a couple of days - I think the PM-3's may accompany for the ride...

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #322 of 991
  Headphones:

1. NAD Viso HP50 (My current mobile headphone that goes with my Earwerkz Legend -r) - plus point for this test - the HP50 and PM'3 use the same connector
2. Hifiman HE-560
3. PM-3

I truly appreciate your comparison of these headphones!

I have heard the HE-560, at a store that was too loud and at a headphone meet that was also too loud. Both times I still drooled over the sound I heard 
biggrin.gif

I too am currently borrowing the PM-3 and use my HP50 regularly. But regardless of having heard a planar magnet headphone at a headphone meet (Audeze EL-8, Audeze LCD-X, HiFiMan HE-400i - no drool, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2, and the HiFiMan HE-560 - drool) this is my first opportunity to hear a planar at a home setting. For the first two hours, my ears were overwhelmed by the depth of sound. I appreciate your comparison of all three headphones, which have been on my target radar.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #323 of 991
Great impressions on PM-3 and HP50. When I first put on PM-3, my immediate thought was NAD Viso HP50 as well. Among all the headphones I have tried, HP50, PM-3, and Fischer's FA-003 are the three headphones that impressed me the most in human vocals performance.

Unfortunately I sold my HP50 a while back so I couldn't do a direct comparison between HP50 and PM-3. So I really appreciate the comments here about these two wonderful headphones. Based on memory I would agree with most of the comments about HP50.

I also found a common issue between HP50 and PM-3, and that is they both clamp tight for people with larger head. Comfort was the main reason that I sold my HP50, and the same reason I am putting off purchasing the PM-3. I would love to get the PM-3 if OPPO could make it more comfortable for people with larger head.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #324 of 991
I'm interested in the loaner program and agree to terms and conditions.
I did not see any expiration date posted by OP. So, I assume this program is still on.

Update: Please cancel my request. I pulled the trigger, placed an order on the refurbished unit from OPPO Digital

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #325 of 991
Go to the very first post in the thread and you will see the list of people scheduled to receive the PM-3s.  There has been no announcement the program was terminating but there is list to wait through.

I've had my turn with PM-2s and PM-3s. The loan program helped me decide to buy some PM-3s later this summer.  I think they are very very good.

Hope it helps you decide.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #327 of 991
  I truly appreciate your comparison of these headphones!

I have heard the HE-560, at a store that was too loud and at a headphone meet that was also too loud. Both times I still drooled over the sound I heard 
biggrin.gif

I too am currently borrowing the PM-3 and use my HP50 regularly. But regardless of having heard a planar magnet headphone at a headphone meet (Audeze EL-8, Audeze LCD-X, HiFiMan HE-400i - no drool, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2, and the HiFiMan HE-560 - drool) this is my first opportunity to hear a planar at a home setting. For the first two hours, my ears were overwhelmed by the depth of sound. I appreciate your comparison of all three headphones, which have been on my target radar.

Great impressions on PM-3 and HP50. When I first put on PM-3, my immediate thought was NAD Viso HP50 as well. Among all the headphones I have tried, HP50, PM-3, and Fischer's FA-003 are the three headphones that impressed me the most in human vocals performance.

Unfortunately I sold my HP50 a while back so I couldn't do a direct comparison between HP50 and PM-3. So I really appreciate the comments here about these two wonderful headphones. Based on memory I would agree with most of the comments about HP50.

I also found a common issue between HP50 and PM-3, and that is they both clamp tight for people with larger head. Comfort was the main reason that I sold my HP50, and the same reason I am putting off purchasing the PM-3. I would love to get the PM-3 if OPPO could make it more comfortable for people with larger head.

Thanks for the kind words. It seemed to me that I needed to do something to give back some value to the community. 

Sheldaze - there is definitely something about planar headphones. I jumped in with the HE-560's having never heard them (used here), and I was really surprised. I am currently upgrading the cable on them to a silver dragon to get a little more clarity.

jim123 - I have a larger head, and I found that having the cups of the PM-3's a little lower than I normally do helped a lot. Interestingly, I also wear glasses, and I found that the clamping was fine with my glasses both on the HP50's and the PM-3's. Also, I had a trip down to Orlando from Atlanta yesterday, and I wore the PM-3's for 3 straight hours with no problems. I then took a break an wore them again for an hour, and still felt nothing bad. 

A few other comments after the trip:

1. There is mention of the size of the pads for larger ears. I do not have small ears, and had no discomfort. My ears are sensitive, and yet, it seems that the inside of the pads are softer enabling the outside to seal well, but the inside to mould lightly to the ears. I did notice (as mentioned above to jim123) that lowering the pads more than usual, just a little made all the difference
2. Noise isolation is really quite good for an over ear headphone (vs IEM). In the car, I could feel the road a little, but not hear it much at all. I also could not hear anyone talking to me (my wife kept having to tap me on the arm :) )

More updates to come. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back