OPPO PM-3 Closed Back Planar Mangnetic Headphones Now Available in Cherry Red and Steel Blue
Oct 8, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #16 of 29
I actually love the looks of the white, it just gets dirty too fast. I'd have to have the headband in black as well.

seconded. hope the black replacement earcup option available for $39 will include a replacement headband as well. white headband w/ black earcups seems silly, as the white would wear quickly with the oils on my head. 

would love to give Oppo my money for a cherry red PM-3 with black earcups as well as a black headband!

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #17 of 29

seconded. hope the black replacement earcup option available for $39 will include a replacement headband as well. white headband w/ black earcups seems silly, as the white would wear quickly with the oils on my head. 

would love to give Oppo my money for a cherry red PM-3 with black earcups as well as a black headband!

I think that white just isn't a great choice for headphones, for the reasons mentioned. It also makes headphones look more like a toy than stylish. I would say using a different neutral shade for contrast with the colour bands and cups would be better. I suggest slate grey. Slate grey is a neutral shade and looks really classy.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 29

You can always replace just the earpads with the standard black ones. We designed the earpads to be replaceable for maintenance, and in order to "maintain your preference", it would be possible to install black earpads on the Cherry Red and Steel Blue headphones. Replacement earpads (sold in pairs) are $39.00 for the PM-3.

The Oppo Digital website still doesn't list replacement earpads for PM-3; only the PM-1 and PM-2. Any chance it'll be updated soon? Also, what's the likelihood of seeing velour replacement ear pads for the PM-3? Reason I'm asking is my ears do tend to get toasty after 30-45 minutes of continuous use.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 29
That is because we are looking at only allowing the earpads to be purchased for maintenance, and customers should not have really used the PM-3s enough to need a replacement earpad.

Second, as others have said, it is possible to permanently damage the earcups on the PM-3 if you do not remove and install the earpads correctly. So we want to limit the sale of the earpads only as a means of maintenance.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 29
  Will these be made available to people outside North America?

You will see the headphones released in other regions, but we are the first region to carry them. You can purchase direct and have them shipped anywhere, but the headphones will not have a warranty if you have it shipped international.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 29
Woah, woah, wooooah... A removable pads version of the PM-3? My one and only quibble of the PM-3 fixed? I'm so tempted on buying it full price now. I'd really like a red/white/black colour scheme headphones.

The earpads have always been replaceable. We just do not recommend it as you can permanently damage the earcups, not the pads, if you remove or install the pads correctly. This is why we are only encouraging people to replace the earpads due to things like damage and ware. But that also does not preclude a customer from say, purchasing the black earpads, and installing it themselves, or shipping the headphones back to us for professional installation.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #24 of 29
OK Hastur the deed is done...
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #25 of 29
i posted below text in the 'official' sq Oppo pm-3 thread, but I'd like to post this here too

I have audiophile leanings and over the years have built up a nice music room.  I've never worn head phones much, but decided to buy a pair of good closed back HPs for my daughter.  After a couple weeks of research and reading here I've just ordered the Oppo PM-3.  She's going to UCLA so I've chosen the blue model.  So, after all my reading I must have missed this tidbit in the specs...

320 g (Black/White), 310 g (Cherry Red/Steel Blue)

There's a difference in weight? Because of the color?

I hope that doesn't affect the sound quality (lol but if there's one thing I"ve learned in all these years of audionervocia... everything makes a difference.)

Also,
What's a good limited space college student headphone stand for the pm-3.
What's a good hardcase carrying case for the pm-3... dunno if that canvas bag is going to protect it well.
Got her the OPPO PM-3 1.2 meter cable with mic and control option...
What is a decent inexpensive 1.2 meter wire I can order on line without mic/vol stuff?

Well at least I have gifts covered for a year or so as we change out the wire and get her an dac/amp...

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #26 of 29

320 g (Black/White), 310 g (Cherry Red/Steel Blue)

There's a difference in weight? Because of the color?

Also,
What's a good limited space college student headphone stand for the pm-3.
What's a good hardcase carrying case for the pm-3... dunno if that canvas bag is going to protect it well.
Got her the OPPO PM-3 1.2 meter cable with mic and control option...
What is a decent inexpensive 1.2 meter wire I can order on line without mic/vol stuff?

I'd guess the difference is the plastics used maybe because of color.  In pictures at least it looks like it's different.  
I think for college kids the best thing is the canvas bag as it's not too heavy to carry around.  You won't want a large one that protects well but is hard to transport.  
I'd probably save your money on the cable too LOL.  It'll get destroyed in no time.  Lots of crazy things can happen at UCLA.  

That's a nice headphone for college anyway!  Very nice sound and easy to carry around.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #27 of 29
I see, there is a difference in the headbands between the red/blu & blk/wht models.

I hope there is no quality difference, but 
Bear in mind I have just ordered these and haven't gotten a listen yet; they get here tomorrow yea.
Reasons I went for the Oppo PM-3 as a gift for my daughter at UCLA.
- semi-portable and they stay on a persons head
- closed back (a must to not bother others dorm/studying/public transit/walking)
- audiophile sound quality (many good reviews so far... www.headfi.org ; good past history with other models)
- style - they look good and blue is her school color
- she has small round ears and from reviews that's a good thing for this model
- removable cord & single sided

I think style for daughter was the big reason for picking this color.  Older man self would have picked the black with the cushy stuff all around the headband.

I showed the picture to my daughter last night and all the other quality sound headphones I was considering.  She absolutely loves the look of the Steel Blue and is so glad I went ahead and ordered them.  Compared to the other headphones it was clear which pair would attract my 20 year old daughter.

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #28 of 29
EDIT
I would be remiss if I didn't edit this post and say the OPPO Steel Blue are again available on Amazon.  So 

[strike]I just noticed they ran out of the blue model on Amazon.  Good for you Oppo.  I just went straight to Oppo's website to order the Steel Blue; that was yesterday morning.[/strike]

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #29 of 29
We received the blue/white PM-3 on Wednesday.  After Oppo clued us in about fully inserting jack,
"...Ensure that you are connecting the cable all the way into the inlet of the earcup. We have a recessed 3.5mm inlet that uses a rubber grommet to hold the cable in place, so the cable needs to be pushed in very far into the earcup to make a proper connection. If you do not have it completely plugged in, then you may get no to intermittent audio from the one of the drivers or the audio may be lower in one driver when compared to the other..."
we finally realized how great these headphones sound.

Anyway, just wanted to mention about the headband difference between blk/wht & blu/red beside the color.  I have not gotten to wear the black/white version, but here's what I know from the few days I've had with the blue version.  We checked over the leatherette very carefully and everything looked great.  Brand new they look beautiful on my daughter's head.  They fit both of us comfortably well, but the pm-3s left today for college with her.  I miss her already.   The fit and finish of the leatherette into the plastic on top of the headband seems to be secure, but that's the part that I fear will start to wear out... we'll see.  Personally I like the way the pictures of the way the black/white headband appear...(leatherette/padding going all the way around the band as opposed to the plastic on top), both for the way it appears to look and would feel in my hand.  This blue version when you hold it in your hand ,,, well you feel the plastic band... oh well.

Most importantly, this is the one my daughter says looks the best to her and they feel great and they sound awesome and ....

We're happy campers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back