OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Jul 2, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #571 of 743
Anyone have suggestions on where to buy these headphones NEW on a discount? They've been out for almost two years and was wondering if anyone knew a good website to buy them. Thanks. Or any alternatives to these headphones that sound better?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_106817_Fostex-TH500RP.html?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Sonic has had them as low as $280.
Better than Oppo Pm-2? No.
Better bang for your buck? For Sure.
I own them both.

If you are set on the Pm-2 Oppo sells refurbished units at times.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #572 of 743
The PM2 started me on my way to be the cable guy. I am a rookie in the Hifi world, green. I was still just listening to AKG 550 plug into my Mac early this year. The somehow I got a hold of a Dragonfly 1.2. My first WOW moment, all my music sounded different. Even Youtube sounded great!!! So I got the Grado 500e to go with the 1.2 DF. Then the RED came out, so I got that too. So I decided to try another headphone so the PM2 landed at my Hifi green world. The PM2 was my first phone that came with 2 cables but only the small one can be use with my 2 Dragonflies. I didn't think anything of it. I have read many seasoned reviewers that said the cables all sound the SAME!!! Okok, who am I to argue? After 4 days with the PM2 I can tell you the sound is just Ok, not great, not nearly as involving as the Grado. So one morning here in Vietnam I just went back to the shop and I picked up an adopter just so I can try the long and thick cable that has the 1/4 inch plug at the end. This is my first WOW moment with cables. The sound improvement was unreal. Night and day. So good in fact I kept reading different threads on this site and low and behold 3 days later I landed the Mojo. Another notch upwards in sound, blew away both Flies. A week later in Taiwan I picked up the Nighthawk, all from reading what people post up on the Head Fi site. Of course, it comes with 2 cables and both sounded very different. This is when I went to the cable threads and just like that I bought the Moon Silver Dragon. At first really for the Nighthawk since the PM2 the thick stock cable was sounding great, to my green ears. The S Dragon landed on the 29th of June. I tried it on the Hawk and it just didn't sound good, not yet. So I plug it into the PM2. Wow, so that's what all the fuss about these aftermarket cable is all about. I went to songs from my high school days in the 1975 era and all sounded like something I have never heard before. It was so good I signed up for all the HD sites and started to buy music online and gotten away from Youtube music. Since then I have taken delivery on a $926 USD cable from Effect Audio of Singapore just 2 days ago and I am awaiting delivery on another cable from LabKable in HKG that is on Fed Ex watch right now as we speak. I am a rookie, I don't  know what I am doing, my hearing is not that good. But I can tell you two things: Burn in is all good, Stock cables are all not so good. PM2 is great with both of the new cables. I will see about LabKable in 2 days.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #573 of 743

Thank you
I book marked it and will be looking through it as I consider getting the Oppo PM-1/PM-2.  I bought the blue PM-3 for my daughter and only got to listen to it for the first week, but really enjoyed it.  I think I'd like open back even more... when I listen to my stereo system I like a window/door open.

Can the Oppo PM-1 be modded in the same way as the PM-2 through this mod?  Besides the differences Oppo states.... it sounds like there's some internal material/damping differences?  Maybe metal sounds different than plastic... judging by what I"ve read maybe plastic presents better... hehe but i digress again.

Sorry I haven't had the time to post mod over here as been busy , but I will.
Regardless of the increase or decrease in the internal damping (shown in tyll innerfidelity review),
The modding is the same.
It should bE noted however, that modding for a linear response is incredibly difficult and only the PMX2 has most linear response /signature.
Edit: (redacted)
"TMI" (too much info)
Will save graph when able to show better.
:)

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #574 of 743
Anyone looking for an adapter to use the boompro mic with their Oppos? I am selling mine that I bought from PETEREK a little while back.

It also works with more traditional single ended 3.5mm cables. Thought I'd let Oppo owners in here know since the cable section in the classifieds often gets overlooked. PM me if interested

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #576 of 743
PM2 is my second headphone I bought after I got hooked into HeadFi. Since then I bought a whole lots of gear. I can tell you it's a great buy, bar none. When I travel it's the only thing I take with me, PM2 and the AQ Dragonfly RED. I don't even need the Mojo or the Sony I have. I just bought the toxic cable and the sound synergy with the PM2 is amazing. It will scale up, Woo or my Violectric both sounds great with it. Now burn in? 200 hour IMO is great!!! Cheers.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #577 of 743
I know this must have been asked a lot and I have read some posts regarding this issue but maybe after a certain period of time things may have gone different. I am in love with the PM 3 for while now, it is being used when commuting and when at home as I already sold the HD650 to fund a new open pair cans, which may be either HD700 or PM-2 (sure) or any other suggestion that fits in the case.

Given the fact that many owners of PM 3 also own the PM2 or auditioned/owned it, how does it sound compare to the PM 2 and the HD700 or even the HD800? Is it really twice as good as the PM 3 in terms of clarity, refinement and soundstage as it is in price?

(Copied from the PM 3 thread)

Thanks,
Linh

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #578 of 743
I have honestly been eyeing these for 10 months and just on a whim I saw them on Amazon prime, which never happens because you usually have to buy directly from OPPO, so I took the plunge. I have the HD800, EL-8, Sine, HD 600, and PM-3.....I have always wanted an Open Planar. I'm hoping they sound similar to the pm3 with a little more air. If so, I will be in heaven 

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #579 of 743
@HasturTheYellow, are you planning to release a new version of the PM-2 or another new HP in 2017 ? 
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #583 of 743
  I have honestly been eyeing these for 10 months and just on a whim I saw them on Amazon prime, which never happens because you usually have to buy directly from OPPO, so I took the plunge. I have the HD800, EL-8, Sine, HD 600, and PM-3.....I have always wanted an Open Planar. I'm hoping they sound similar to the pm3 with a little more air. If so, I will be in heaven 

I have EL-8 which I hardly listen to now ... and PM2 + PM3.  The PM2 is my preferred headphone along with Grado GS1000e (totally different I know).  

The PM2 is like a better version of the PM3.  

An open version with the attributes for being open you would expect but basically a better headphone than the PM3.  Same superb build quality though.  

I reach for the PM2 more than anything.  It may not be as detailed as the Grado GS1000e but they are a more relaxed listen and still superb.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #584 of 743
I am new to Head Fi just spring of last year. Since then I bought a lots of gear. The PM2 was one of my first phones. Now I have just about all I can handle. This phone is what I use when I go on the road. I take either the Mojo or the Sony PHA3 and it's as good as anything out there. I am still thinking though if I should have bough the PM1? In the back of my mind I am thinking about that. Any thoughts guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back