OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Mar 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #407 of 743
  i still thnik OPPO is not good at make headphones after hear PM1 PM2 PM3 HA1 HA2 last week..
the reason is they sound not fun!(compare to LCD2 LCD3 and also HE6 HE560)

Hey, maybe you just don't like the Oppo sound signature that much and that is just fine.  It is worth noting that you are comparing to some stiff competition.  I own the Oppo PM-2 but probably slightly prefer the LCD-2 but for the issue of its weight, but it is still a close call for me. I would definitely take the LCD-3 over any of the Oppos, but c'mon they are $2,000 cans.  I think the HE-560 are probably technically superior overall, but I either don't love their sound signature or they just need careful matching with upstream gear not to be shrill/harsh at times.  In fairness though, the Oppos are fairly linear, but a little soft in their (well extended) bass, so it may not be a "fun" phone compared to some other sound signatures. In my mind, the LCD line does seem more "epic" in sound but they do have other negatives compared to my PM-2, which I get tons of use out of.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #408 of 743
i still thnik OPPO is not good at make headphones after hear PM1 PM2 PM3 HA1 HA2 last week..
the reason is they sound not fun!(compare to LCD2 LCD3 and also HE6 HE560)

On the contrary, I find the PM-2 musical. In fact, when I just want to relax and listen to my favourite songs whilst I'm on my sofa, I reach for my PM-2.
I've actually purchased another Oppo headphones, the PM-3 that replaced my Vmoda M100. Can't be happier with this purchase.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #409 of 743
I got to mess around with my friend's OPPO PM-2 today.  The treble is rolled off, but easily fixed with an EQ.  I'm really impressed with the sub-bass it can produce.  Even the owner was impressed, since he never really listens to bass heavy music.  Sound production is kinda like my speaker setup at home.  Nice, airy, deep and being pushed by E12A.  I'm eyeballin' the PM-3 for now though.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #410 of 743
I just received my PM-2s on the OPPO PM-2 loaner program.  I listened to them for a few minutes at CanJam over the weekend, but now I have a week to put them through their paces.

I'm really looking forward to the next week. 
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #411 of 743
  I got to mess around with my friend's OPPO PM-2 today.  The treble is rolled off, but easily fixed with an EQ.  I'm really impressed with the sub-bass it can produce.  Even the owner was impressed, since he never really listens to bass heavy music.  Sound production is kinda like my speaker setup at home.  Nice, airy, deep and being pushed by E12A.  I'm eyeballin' the PM-3 for now though.

I finally got to hear these at the SoCal CanJam and I couldn't agree more!  And don't forget that the treble can be tuned by using the different pad types.

I have been on a quest to find an open-back headphone that is at least as good in overall SQ as my HD 650's but that also has the sub-bass power of my ATH-M50's, all for a reasonable price. 

I know I was asking for a lot, and for a long time, I was afraid that they might not exist.  Every good sounding headphone I tried sounded great at low-to-medium SPLs, but they were all brought to their knees whenever I played back tracks with clean, powerful bass at high SPLs.  The bass would either begin to audibly modulate the higher frequencies or cause the driver to reach its excursion limits and begin to physically (and very audibly) distort.

The only headphones that have passed this test (that I've heard so far, and I've heard most of them) are the HD 800, but they are $1500, and aren't really an option right now.

So it put a huge smile on my face when I was able to play the first track of The Dark Knight OST (which at 3:27 contains significant amounts of subsonic bass) and as I turned up the track louder and louder, I heard absolutely zero audible distortion while the bass was literally fluttering my earlobes!

The PM-2 will definitely be my next reference headphone purchase.

Thank you, OPPO!!! 
L3000.gif

Also, I was able to do a direct A-B comparison with the Audeze EL-8 open-backs at the OPPO booth, and to my ears, the PM-2's were better in every way.  I have nothing against the EL-8's.  I actually was really hoping they would sound at least as good as the PM-2's, but the EL-8's were completely outclassed.  So its the PM-2 for me!!!

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #412 of 743
My Oppo PM2 have now had 250 hours burn in. These really really need burn in. The difference is vast.

Anyway. These are so wow. More soon.

GTK... I have maybe 50 plus hrs on mine. Keep sounding better each day..

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #413 of 743
  Also, I was able to do a direct A-B comparison with the Audeze EL-8 open-backs at the OPPO booth, and to my ears, the PM-2's were better in every way.  I have nothing against the EL-8's.  I actually was really hoping they would sound at least as good as the PM-2's, but the EL-8's were completely outclassed.  So its the PM-2 for me!!!

Thanks for the comparison. I was also curious to hear a comparison of the EL-8 with the Oppo PM1/2.

I had a chance to compare them as well and felt that PM-2 was better in almost all aspects except for maybe the high trebles (Oppo has more trailing off treble vs. EL-8 IMO)

I have to agree with your assessment that PM1/2 outclassed the EL-8. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #414 of 743
On the contrary, I find the PM-2 musical. In fact, when I just want to relax and listen to my favourite songs whilst I'm on my sofa, I reach for my PM-2.
I've actually purchased another Oppo headphones, the PM-3 that replaced my Vmoda M100. Can't be happier with this purchase.

I just got the PM3 too, my first planar and am completely hooked on them. Not been using my other headphones at all so am now interested in upgrading my open headphones to PM2's. 

How much do these differ from the PM3 SQ? Are they a significant upgrade in detail and sound quality to justify having both? Thanks for your help.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #415 of 743
I just got the PM3 too, my first planar and am completely hooked on them. Not been using my other headphones at all so am now interested in upgrading my open headphones to PM2's. 

How much do these differ from the PM3 SQ? Are they a significant upgrade in detail and sound quality to justify having both? Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't call the SQ difference as significant. The PM-2 has more syrupy mids and more resolution. They are more comfortable to me and soundstage seems a bit bigger. At home, I would use PM-2 more than PM-3. I suggest you try another hp with different sound signature.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #416 of 743
Spent the last 20 minutes looking for somewhere that sells to Australia with earpads for these on sale. Can anyone point out some online stores that ship internationally with the Oppo earpads at all? I need to buy a pair of Velours and Lambskin pads - but Oppo Australia does not sell the earpads from what I could see and the US store doesn't ship to here. A2A and Minidisc do not offer them either. How frustrating!

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #417 of 743
See this link => http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/825#post_11463823
to use Oppo Digital's offline order form and to buy from outside of North America.

First though, I would call or email the Australian distributor and make sure they don't have the pads for sale
before you go ordering from the US, and even if they don't have them, I would still advise ordering the actual
headphones from Australia so you have local warranty coverage if you need it.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #418 of 743
Thanks for the link, but it seems the earpads are not on the order list once you proceed. I already own the PM-2 and brought it locally, but I need the other pads. The Aus store definitely don't have them as I've inquired.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #419 of 743
I decided to order a pair of PM-2's based in part on the great impressions in this thread. I'm hoping they arrive tomorrow. Have a few different Audeze cans on hand for comparison, but most interested to see how they stack up against the LCD-2F's. Thanks guys! 

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #420 of 743
  Thanks for the link, but it seems the earpads are not on the order list once you proceed. I already own the PM-2 and brought it locally, but I need the other pads. The Aus store definitely don't have them as I've inquired.

Just contact Oppo directly and ask them about purchasing.
They have great customer service, so they will take care of your needs if they can.
http://www.oppodigital.com/Support_Store.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back