OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Feb 17, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #376 of 743
Oh geez, I never thought of that. :)

I can clear up some space on my kitchen then if I replaced my PM-2 with EL-8... :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #377 of 743
Darko's impression of EL-8 with comparison with PM-2 & HD650
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/02/audeze-el-8-headphones-first-impressions-and-comparisons/

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #378 of 743
Hi all,

I have been looking into a new set of headphones with laid-back treble and full mids, so the oppos popped up on my radar. 

I have a question though, how do these fit on smaller heads?  For reference, I own the HE-400s and ATH-M50s.  The M50s fit fine, but the HE-400s they are a bit too big for my head.  I have to be fairly still while wearing the 400s, and I would like to avoid this in my next set of headphones.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #379 of 743
  Hi all,

I have been looking into a new set of headphones with laid-back treble and full mids, so the oppos popped up on my radar. 

I have a question though, how do these fit on smaller heads?  For reference, I own the HE-400s and ATH-M50s.  The M50s fit fine, but the HE-400s they are a bit too big for my head.  I have to be fairly still while wearing the 400s, and I would like to avoid this in my next set of headphones.

I own the HE-400 and have to wear it on the absolute smallest setting in order for it to fit right. For the Oppo PM-2, which I demoed for a week, I wore it with 4-5 clicks of length extension on each side. I briefly demoed the M50 at a Head-Fi meet and I think the sizing for me was 2 clicks on each side, but take this one with a grain of salt because that was a while ago.

I very highly doubt that you will have an issue with the PM-2 being too large for your head. But they currently are doing a loaner program through the forum and that is the best way to find out if you like them.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I really enjoy my HE-400 and I enjoyed the PM-2, but they are different sounding headphones indeed.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #380 of 743
will probably suit you better. I have small head as well and I prefer the comfort of PM-2 compared to HD800 which is opposite with many...

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #381 of 743
just signed up for the loaner program since my local dealer will only bring in the PM-1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #382 of 743
Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like the oppos check another box for me.

Originally Posted by Pwn3r4Life /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let me know if you have any other questions! I really enjoy my HE-400 and I enjoyed the PM-2, but they are different sounding headphones indeed.

I like the HE-400s too, but the treble just kills me.  Vocals also feel distant on it, and I really only use it for bass heavy stuff nowadays. With that said, I am looking for a different sound signature.  The full-bodied and laid-back nature of the PM-2 appeals to me.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #383 of 743
  I like the HE-400s too, but the treble just kills me.  Vocals also feel distant on it, and I really only use it for bass heavy stuff nowadays. With that said, I am looking for a different sound signature.  The full-bodied and laid-back nature of the PM-2 appeals to me.

The treble is awful for me as well, with the velour pads on. As soon as I put the pleathers on, the treble becomes acceptable and the bass really fills in. Have you tried pad rolling and/or modding? All of Hifiman's stuff is very responsive to small tweaks.

I'd try the "fuzzor" mod by Jerg, which will decrease backwave response, thus improving clarity, and tame the treble. While taming the backwaves is the primary focus of this mod, if you smush the foam less, you can absorb some of the treble. As a bonus, you don't need to open the headphones, it is fully reversible, and is really cheap.

I never found the mids to be distant on the HE-400, and I'm usually sensitive to that. That said, the Oppo's mids are so intimate, full, and lush. I think that you'll love them.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #384 of 743
  The treble is awful for me as well, with the velour pads on. As soon as I put the pleathers on, the treble becomes acceptable and the bass really fills in. Have you tried pad rolling and/or modding? All of Hifiman's stuff is very responsive to small tweaks.

I'd try the "fuzzor" mod by Jerg, which will decrease backwave response, thus improving clarity, and tame the treble. While taming the backwaves is the primary focus of this mod, if you smush the foam less, you can absorb some of the treble. As a bonus, you don't need to open the headphones, it is fully reversible, and is really cheap.

I never found the mids to be distant on the HE-400, and I'm usually sensitive to that. That said, the Oppo's mids are so intimate, full, and lush. I think that you'll love them.

I tried some small mods, but part of the problem is the type of music I have been listening to lately, mostly punk/hardcore/emo stuff.  A lot of it is treble heavy, and some of the recordings are not the best quality.  I think the other part of the problem is that my ears are just drawn to the bass.

I don't expect the PM-2 to all of a sudden make everything better, but I do hope they tame some of the problem treble.  I also would like to use them with certain styles such as Bossa Nova where there is a focus on soft vocals and guitar.

Likely, I will be buying the PM-2 soon.  I am just waiting out the release/review of the EL-8 and PM-3 to see if they also sound appealing to me before I pull the trigger.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #385 of 743
Can someone please let me know if the HD700 connectors work with the PM-1/PM-2s.

I know the Oppo's have a groove in the connecter that helps them "lock" into the the headphone, but the HD700 connectors don't have this groove.  Does this cause them to unplug easily?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #387 of 743
  Can someone please let me know if the HD700 connectors work with the PM-1/PM-2s.

I know the Oppo's have a groove in the connecter that helps them "lock" into the the headphone, but the HD700 connectors don't have this groove.  Does this cause them to unplug easily?

Thanks

I've used my HD700 cable with my PM-2 with no issue. I don't move around a lot with them on though.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #388 of 743
Ok, I'm in 'the club' now. Just purchased a pair of PM-2s. Using them with my iFi Micro DSD connected to my 6 plus. 

Also have a custom built USB cable A male to A female by http://www.elijahaudio.com using Audience OCC cryo treated copper wrapped in a red cotton sleeve, quad braid design. This allows me to get rid of iFi's USB dongle thing. The cable needs about 100 hrs to break in so I'm a ways from that as I just got it. Still, TiDAL and FLAC files sound great.

How long do the Oppos need, if any to break in? As an owner of 40 year old Yamaha planar/orthos, I am looking forward to the natual sound of the PM-2s. They sound great out of the box!

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #389 of 743
Could someone comment on the pm-2's sound leakage for me please?

I have read that the pm-1's and pm-2's do not leak as much as some other open headphones but they are still open.

If I was to be listening to the headphones at a moderate volume in my living room, how likely would I be to disturb my wife sleeping in the next room?

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #390 of 743
I doubt your wife would hear you in the next room.  I find that at moderate listening levels, I can barely hear them more than a few feet away. I think you would need them to be quite loud before someone in the next room could hear what you are listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back