Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 31, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #557 of 2,563
  Any sound impressions from the Tokyo show?

And did they reveal any more details to the attendees?

At their press event, OPPO trotted out a closer-to-production-voiced sample of the PM-1, and, in direct comparison back-and-forth comparison to a unit that would be more consistent with the version I've got, it was substantially better. To my ears, the bass was more controlled, less emphasized--same could be said for lower mids. The changes opened up and sped up the presentation considerably. It was an impressive improvement from the prototype that I have here that is only a couple of weeks older than the improved version they'd overnighted to Tokyo...and that's saying something, as I really like the prototype I've got here, which several of us were having quite a bit of fun listening to in hotel mini-meets in Tokyo.

Hello, OPPO, this is Jude from Head-Fi calling. Pretty please? Yeah, they'll be hearing from me today.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #558 of 2,563
Bring it on!!!
L3000.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #559 of 2,563

At their press event, OPPO trotted out a closer-to-production-voiced sample of the PM-1, and, in direct comparison back-and-forth comparison to a unit that would be more consistent with the version I've got, it was substantially better. To my ears, the bass was more controlled, less emphasized--same could be said for lower mids. The changes opened up and sped up the presentation considerably. It was an impressive improvement from the prototype that I have here that is only a couple of weeks older than the improved version they'd overnighted to Tokyo...and that's saying something, as I really like the prototype I've got here, which several of us were having quite a bit of fun listening to in hotel mini-meets in Tokyo.

Hello, OPPO, this is Jude from Head-Fi calling. Pretty please? Yeah, they'll be hearing from me today.

Thanks for this.  Also, if there is any way they could make a statement about the PM-1 being open or closed, that would be great information. 

There are many of us (myself included) looking to compare the Alpha Dog to the LCD-XC for a closed orthodynamic, and it would be great to add the PM-1 to the mix.  Or, if it is an open headphone, the comparisons will be to the LCD-2/3/X and the HE-500/6.  

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #560 of 2,563
  Thanks for this.  Also, if there is any way they could make a statement about the PM-1 being open or closed, that would be great information. 

There are many of us (myself included) looking to compare the Alpha Dog to the LCD-XC for a closed orthodynamic, and it would be great to add the PM-1 to the mix.  Or, if it is an open headphone, the comparisons will be to the LCD-2/3/X and the HE-500/6.  

The OPPO PM-1 is an open-back design.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #566 of 2,563
Nov 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #567 of 2,563
Nov 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #570 of 2,563
Late 2013??

Not leaving a whole lot of time here.   Not even 2 months left!?   I mean, come on - these are supposed to be a christmas present to me. . . I mean . . . my wife.  She doesn't use headphones but I think she would like them - BUT-  if she doesn't, then I'll take them off her hands. . . I mean return them.  Wow, I'm getting all confused here!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back