Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #453 of 2,563
Not odd. He makes sense. A ruler flat line will cause upper mids to be a bit harsh. Ideally, the upper ranges need to slope downwards some. That seems to be the way higher end headphones are going nowadays.

Depends on what you define flat as. If it's flat as in, you hear it as flat, then I don't know if you'd really get harsh treble? Unless the recording was harsh.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #454 of 2,563
  And this thread will soon be approaching the post count of the Audeze closed-back prototype thread started exactly a year earlier. You get the picture..

Its because Audeze was quite open with the info on their prototypes.  They let Head-fires try them, they warned/informed people of the price point, and had history to pull from.  Far less to speculate about...

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #455 of 2,563
Its because Audeze was quite open with the info on their prototypes.  They let Head-fires try them, they warned/informed people of the price point, and had history to pull from.  Far less to speculate about...

So Oppo has the moves when it comes to marketing as well :D

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #456 of 2,563
  My guess it is the MDR7520

Great set of phones, those.

But ...speculation....is...such....TORTURE!
redface.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #457 of 2,563
If they truly plan on getting these to market by the holiday season, then they'll be releasing specs and info soon I would think. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #459 of 2,563

Pretty sure we were talking about perceived sound.

I meant flat on a FR graph would sound harsh in the upper frequencies.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #460 of 2,563

There's no agreed-upon standard for a flat graph and thus no single flat graph; but you might say that graphs from person x that are flat indicate a harsh sound, if you know it to be so. To fix this, you could pay e.g. Tyll extra to have him calibrate his graphs for your perception specifically - flat graphs would then be non-harsh.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #461 of 2,563
  If they truly plan on getting these to market by the holiday season, then they'll be releasing specs and info soon I would think. 

If they are not out in the next two weeks I would be concerned about that "late 2013" date.  Note the HP Amp is pushed out to 2014.

My take after reading the info from OPPO is that these HP's will be a lighter version of the HE400.  For one they will be portable and easy to drive, two the BDP-105 has an HP jack that can drive a HE400 or HD650, definitely not the HE500, T1 or HD800. The HP amp is waiting to be released later, so I would expect the HP jack already in their own gear to sync with, would make the most sense to me.

I love the BDP-80 and the BDP-105, but OPPO is new to the field of HP's and I would expect an entry level HP to compete with the entry audiophile HP's like the HE400.  I would be shocked if the price point is above $400.   

Quality, style, and ease of use are what OPPO is about, and if these HP's are successful I would not be surprised if they pump out an upgraded HP in the near future, just as they upgraded the BDP series in rapid succession.

On a cautionary note the BDP-105 can do a lot and do it well, but the Sabre DAC in the BDP-105 for HP output, pales in comparison with the Wolfson DAC in my Meier Daccord.  "Jack-of-all-trades master of none" was my feeling after comparing the Dac's at the request of another head-fi member.

Focusing on a single audio device is a real change for this company  If the HP sounds as good as it looks I think I'll be buying one.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #462 of 2,563

You're just talking non-sense, no purely neutral (20/20khz) flat measuring headphone or speaker exists, at that point if you end up hearing bad aspects of sound that is source dependent not the transducer itself since it measures perfect and is true to source.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #464 of 2,563
You're just talking non-sense, no purely neutral (20/20khz) flat measuring headphone or speaker exists, at that point if you end up hearing bad aspects of sound that is source dependent not the transducer itself since it measures perfect and is true to source.

First of all, I never said a flat 20Hz to 20kHz headphone exists - I said I doubt it would be the goal of headphone creators to make such a headphone. Secondly, while you might want a flat line on a FR graph for a speaker, that is not the case for a headphone. From headroom:
"Headphones also need to be rolled-off in the highs to compensate for the drivers being so close to the ear; a gently sloping flat line from 1kHz to about 8-10dB down at 20kHz is about right."
Perhaps do a little research before telling people they're "just talking non-sense."

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #465 of 2,563
First of all, I never said a flat 20Hz to 20kHz headphone exists - I said I doubt it would be the goal of headphone creators to make such a headphone. Secondly, while you might want a flat line on a FR graph for a speaker, that is not the case for a headphone. From headroom:
"Headphones also need to be rolled-off in the highs to compensate for the drivers being so close to the ear; a gently sloping flat line from 1kHz to about 8-10dB down at 20kHz is about right."
Perhaps do a little research before telling people they're "just talking non-sense."
+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back