Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 2, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,366 of 2,563
Email from Oppo:
Thank you for your interest in the OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones. You are receiving this email because you have registered to be notified about any updates regarding the headphones.
We are very pleased to announce that the OPPO PM-1 will be available for purchase mid-April for $1,099. The past few months have been spent working very closely with a group of beta testers to ensure that the sound quality, fit and finish, and comfort of the OPPO PM-1 exceeds our expectations, and we are very proud of the result.
You will receive another email when the OPPO PM-1 is available to purchase. Please note that initial quantities will be limited. More information about the OPPO PM-1 can be found here: http://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-1/.
In addition to the OPPO PM-1, we will also release an OPPO PM-2 model which will be a more affordable version of the premium OPPO PM-1. The OPPO PM-2 will have very similar performance while reducing costs to the customer. It utilizes the same planar magnetic driver, the same acoustic design principles and tuning techniques, the same tight tolerances for quality control, and its lower price is achieved without sacrificing acoustic performance.
The OPPO PM-2 is estimated to be available Summer 2014 at a suggested retail price of $699.You can sign up to be notified about the OPPO PM-2 on the following page: http://www.oppodigital.com/future/.

Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,368 of 2,563
Here's the press release.

OPPO Introduces Planar Magnetic Headphones

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA--(Marketwired - Apr 2, 2014) - OPPO Digital (www.oppodigital.com), a renowned manufacturer of high performance universal Blu-ray Disc players, introduced its family of planar magnetic headphones today.
The introduction of the new OPPO planar magnetic headphones is a result of many years of research and development led by a team of passionate audio and acoustics engineers, chemical and material scientists, and audiophiles. The technology encompasses a wide range of innovative solutions that deliver exceptional performance.
The OPPO PM-1 utilizes a unique and pioneering planar magnetic driver that sets it apart from the majority of headphones on the market. The OPPO PM-1 driver features a 7-layer diaphragm and an FEM-optimized high energy Neodymium magnet system. The diaphragm has a spiraling pattern of flat conductors etched on both sides, and the double-sided design allows twice as many conductors to be placed within the magnetic field, which leads to higher sensitivity, better damping, and even drive force. The magnetic field and conductor patterns are optimized for maximum driving force and consistency of the applied force over the radiating area, and its circumaural (over-the-ear), open back design provides the best in sound quality and comfort. These aspects of the OPPO PM-1's design combine to provide high sensitivity and extremely low distortion, delivering a transparent, highly dynamic sound that exhibits well-balanced tonal qualities. The high sensitivity and low weight also allow the headphones to be used freely with portable devices without requiring additional amplification.
The PM-1 is constructed with the finest materials for the best in performance, reliability and comfort. Thanks to feedback from OPPO's beta testing group, the design of the PM-1 was revised many times in order to meet OPPO's high standards. OPPO is committed to ensuring that each pair of headphones is equally exceptional and will ramp up production slowly. The PM-1 is estimated to be available in limited quantities starting mid-April at a suggested retail price of $1099.
In order to allow more people to enjoy the benefit of OPPO's planar magnetic headphone technologies, OPPO will release a PM-2 model which is the more affordable version of the premium PM-1. The PM-2 will maintain very similar performance to the PM-1 while reducing costs to the customer. It utilizes the same planar magnetic driver, the same acoustic design principles and tuning techniques, the same tight tolerances for quality control, and its lower price is achieved without sacrificing acoustic performance. Certain metal parts that require many hours of machining time and have relatively low yields in the PM-1 have been replaced by materials and processes that are more suitable for quantity production, and the luxurious hand-picked lambskin found on the headband and ear pads of the PM-1 has been replaced with synthetic leather that offers similar comfort and durability at a much lower cost. The PM-2 is estimated to be available in summer 2014 at a suggested retail price of $699.
OPPO states that the headphones are natural extensions of their product line into the personal audio field. Many users are already utilizing the headphone output of the OPPO BDP-105/105D audiophile Blu-ray players with great results. OPPO will also soon release a dedicated headphone amplifier HA-1. Together the OPPO Blu-ray player, headphone amplifier and headphones can deliver a complete system that communicates to listeners all nuances of their favorite music.
* Trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners.

Contact Information

OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629 Terminal Blvd, Suite B
Mountain View CA 94043
Tel: (650) 961-1118
Fax: (650) 961-1119
www.oppodigital.com
Email Contact

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,371 of 2,563
  Not really... the 1st model will be the one with extremely high R&D costs and overhead as they get themselves set up for the manufacturing of headphones.

Good point 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,373 of 2,563
If it's really true that the PM-2 will have the same sonic properties as the PM-1, I don't see much of a case for buying the PM-1 unless you're just a passionate early adopter. I don't think they're going to see much in the way of sales until the second model comes out and comparisons are made.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,374 of 2,563
If it's really true that the PM-2 will have the same sonic properties as the PM-1, I don't see much of a case for buying the PM-1 unless you're just a passionate early adopter. I don't think they're going to see much in the way of sales until the second model comes out and comparisons are made.

The PM-1 will probably be shipped with a wooden case, a balanced cable, etc.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,375 of 2,563
  I don't see how lambskin might be a better choice when you realize that most leather is poisoned with chromium: https://www.google.com/search?q=leather+poisoned+chromium

The pads appear to be vented leather, so maybe they can change them to good ol' velour?  Fat chance of that happening, I'll bet.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,377 of 2,563
You're the one saying that the first oppo headphone will be a flop WITHOUT EVEN HEARING IT. You seem to know how things sound based on reviews ,and graphs. Even the reviewers say take the reviews with a "grain if salt".

You don't see me posting that the new Hifiman He-400i will be a flop just because there taking longer to change the drivers.

All I'm saying is that I'm skeptical. A company that's never made headphones before is suddenly releasing a very expensive headphone with a questionable driver? I'm a bit hesitant to believe that it will actually perform at the level its projected price suggests. We will only know once it's actually released. I was not trying to be an ass, I was simply making conversation while waiting for news. Sorry if I came off as abrasive. 

EDIT: Now that the price has been confirmed, I'm definitely out. I'd still like to try it, but until I have hard evidence that it's good I'm not going to shell out for it to do so.

By the way, I never said it would be a flop. Orthodynamics are really hard to mess up as the inherent aspects of the drive principle means a lot of problems are taken care of automatically. I said it would be overpriced, which is almost a certainty since the projected price is higher than the LCD-2, HE-500, AND HE-560. 

But also, I never even talked about ANY reviews or ANY graphs, I was questioning the design of the transducer. Simple physics dictate that an oval diaphragm will deform in a less uniform manner than a circular one when flexed. In an audio transducer, this most often is heard as harshness, etching, and brightness in the upper regions. It can also cause other problems, at varying degrees of magnitude depending on diaphragm material, thickness, and other design properties. All of these problems can be compensated for in some way, but it would take a lot of trial and error, ruthless tweaking, and tight mechanical tolerances, and I don't know if Oppo is willing to swing that.

Look at other headphones with oval transducers. The modern STAX Lambda series is a prime example, as are some of the older (vintage) orthodynamics.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,378 of 2,563
The Oppo PM-1 to the Oppo PM-2 is what the Hifiman HE-560 is to the Hifiman HE-400i.

The Oppo PM-1 will most likely be a harder to drive, stronger sounding headphone.

The Oppo PM-2 will be a low impedance headphone, that is easier to drive.

The delay is due to the current PM-1 going to be modified to be modded later to be turned into a PM-2.

The PM-1 will be for the audiophiles needing a new flagship planar.
The PM-2 will be a budget friendly headphone for the audiophile who wants the planar sound without the planar price.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #1,380 of 2,563
The Oppo PM-1 to the Oppo PM-2 is what the Hifiman HE-560 is to the Hifiman HE-400i.

The Oppo PM-1 will most likely be a harder to drive, stronger sounding headphone.

The Oppo PM-2 will be a low impedance headphone, that is easier to drive.

The delay is due to the current PM-1 going to be modified to be modded later to be turned into a PM-2.

The PM-1 will be for the audiophiles needing a new flagship planar.
The PM-2 will be a budget friendly headphone for the audiophile who wants the planar sound without the planar price.

Actually, according to them, the PM-1 is gonna have the nice machined metal enclosure with the esoteric pads and headband, while the PM-2 will have something more plasticy. They'll have the same driver, and thus the same sound (for the most part at least). 

In addition to the OPPO PM-1, we will also release an OPPO PM-2 model which will be a more affordable version of the premium OPPO PM-1. The OPPO PM-2 will have very similar performance while reducing costs to the customer. It utilizes the same planar magnetic driver, the same acoustic design principles and tuning techniques, the same tight tolerances for quality control, and its lower price is achieved without sacrificing acoustic performance.

The PM-2 will maintain very similar performance to the PM-1 while reducing costs to the customer. It utilizes the same planar magnetic driver, the same acoustic design principles and tuning techniques, the same tight tolerances for quality control, and its lower price is achieved without sacrificing acoustic performance. Certain metal parts that require many hours of machining time and have relatively low yields in the PM-1 have been replaced by materials and processes that are more suitable for quantity production, and the luxurious hand-picked lambskin found on the headband and ear pads of the PM-1 has been replaced with synthetic leather that offers similar comfort and durability at a much lower cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back