Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Jan 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,051 of 2,563

WHAATTTTT ARE YOU KIDDING... it's gonna be push pull B&G planar driver like neo8 and neo10...

my god!!!

:) this gonna sound awesome..

Planar, electrostatics, piezo are the future of both headphones and speakers

and this time nobody will ever come back to woofers beside for bass

Can I ask why, pretty please? I know how planar tech gives some pretty awesome bass, and that electrostats are super-detailed, but I haven't heard of piezoelectrics much before, so I'd like a little lesson on that. Thanks. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,052 of 2,563
My comment really was more about Oppo's choice of marketing strategy.  

I have no idea whether the designer is somehow using other speaker tech.  It would have been nice for Brent Butterworth to tell us some of the contents of his two-hour conversation with the designer.  

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,053 of 2,563
  Can I ask why, pretty please? I know how planar tech gives some pretty awesome bass, and that electrostats are super-detailed, but I haven't heard of piezoelectrics much before, so I'd like a little lesson on that. Thanks. 
smile_phones.gif

Piezo tech hasn't really entered the headphone market yet save for a few models like the TakeT H2+, but there are a bunch of universities and companies doing R&D related to its future. I attended a demonstration last year of a piezoelectric speaker driver, and it was quite interesting (though its sound wasn't really dialed in yet).

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,054 of 2,563
smile_phones.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/242385/the-worlds-best-headphone-the-taket-h2-review-lots-of-pictures
http://www.taket.jp/about2/about2.html

never heard them but heard good things ... would need to to compare them to really know if they are that good..

it's not just bass and super details.. it's the way and speed they move sound (like a fast wall of waves)

this make music sound fuller/richer as they should in my ear

they also normally have less distortion...

stats can have hard time with low sub bass but planar can do subbass but are slightly less resolute in mid and high because of heavier material than coated paper (stats) (for now that is.. would need to verify)

They both image well but soundstage i'n headphone will always be a work in progress... they should try to angle the driver like hd-800 .. but with heavy magnet im not sure it would be that comfortable..

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,055 of 2,563
I'm more inclined to go with a piezo than a planar magnetic because of the EMF.  Has anyone gotten a gauss meter and checked the EMF from these new headphones?  Just saying, sometimes it's better to wait and see before jumping into a new technology like this.  

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,056 of 2,563
  I'm more inclined to go with a piezo than a planar magnetic because of the EMF.  Has anyone gotten a gauss meter and checked the EMF from these new headphones?  Just saying, sometimes it's better to wait and see before jumping into a new technology like this.  

Planar magnetic headphones have an infinitely more robust pedigree than piezoelectric headphones. Vintage orthodynamic headphones started it all, and now Fostex still persists, as well as Audeze and Hifiman, and very recently Oppo.

Piezoelectric really only persists in modern day through the TakeT headset, and even that is extremely "boutique".

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #1,057 of 2,563

I recall hearing that in the late 70's too....

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,059 of 2,563
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,060 of 2,563
I'm still waiting for Esperanto to become the predominant language in the world!

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #1,061 of 2,563

beyersmile.png
Piezo?  That IS to laugh!  Piezoelectricity is encountered more in truly high-impedance headphones for radiocommunications than anywhere else - piezoceramics are among the few headphone technologies suitable for the crystal receiver, one of the earliest and simplest AM radio technologies.  The downsides are far greater back EMF than any other headphone technology, as the piezoceramic sandwich is self-resonant; plus the need for an AC return, as piezos don't handle DC, unlike dynamic headphones for tube amplifiers.

For most computer headphone amplifiers, I'd probably find planar-magnetics reasonable, as front-panel add-ons such as the Creative® I/O Drive™ use PO technology similar to that on portable devices.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,064 of 2,563

I recall hearing that in the late 70's too....

Hey, I remember when plasma speakers were going to be a big thing too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back