Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #1,036 of 2,563
At least it isn't 2k or pushing it. Hoping that when it hits Australia it won't go too high in price like the K812 did recently. Be interested to somehow see them in Melbourne if they go there, I'm sure I'll be holidaying near easter.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,038 of 2,563
Funny, when I saw the potential retail price, all of a sudden they didn't look so nice in the pics..

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #1,039 of 2,563
  My wallet is gonna get seriously crushed this year. SMH

+1
deadhorse.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,040 of 2,563
  Funny, when I saw the potential retail price, all of a sudden they didn't look so nice in the pics..

hahahaha +1

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,041 of 2,563

I think it's because the general visual design of the PM-1 are so similar to lots of sub-$300 closed cans (slick form-factor, ovoid cups, easy for storage, minimalistic design overall), and very much unlike most $1000+ headphones with their big cups and wood and excessive leather/fabric.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,042 of 2,563
  Impressions from CES by Brent Butterworth:

http://stereos.about.com/od/Audio-Shows/ss/CES-2014-New-Audiophile-Headphones.htm

He sat down with the designer for 2hours, who laid out all his design process etc. and all he posted in his article was "it has an oval diaphragm and folds flat".... nice lol.

Id really like to have seen/heard what the designer actually said that whole time, im curious how these people approach the ortho design, and how differently it compares to how i would approach it.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,043 of 2,563
  I think it's because the general visual design of the PM-1 are so similar to lots of sub-$300 closed cans (slick form-factor, ovoid cups, easy for storage, minimalistic design overall), and very much unlike most $1000+ headphones with their big cups and wood and excessive leather/fabric.

I think this thread dictated the retail price
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,045 of 2,563
Well, I also think the McIntosh being around $2000 is also a factor. It IS competitive with the new Hifiman at least. One might end up owning the HE-500, deciding the HE-560 isn't different enough and taking a flier on the PM-1.

I'm going to wait for the reviews and hopefully demo both. I'm tapped out for the next couple months from trying to get my HD800 properly amped, so plenty of time to read impressions.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,046 of 2,563

I think this thread dictated the retail price
frown.gif

LOL that would be hilarious...

"So, how did Oppo come up with the price for the new PM-1?"
"Well...a bunch of morons unknowingly ran a focus group for us on head-fi"

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,048 of 2,563

LOL that would be hilarious...

"So, how did Oppo come up with the price for the new PM-1?"
"Well...a bunch of morons unknowingly ran a focus group for us on head-fi"

Morons that buy $1000 headphones on a semi-regular basis. :wink:

I can't imagine many other communities where that would be a regular thing. Even in the Hifi world, it seems like people are more interested in speakers.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,049 of 2,563
Has OPPO published the specs yet? I suppose it is a low impedance design, like all other planar magnetic headphones. I used to own a pair of planar magnetic speakers (Magnaplanar MG-20). They sounded incredible, and to me, far more appealing than a similarly priced moving coil speakers. The MG-20's ribbon tweeters were simply sublime.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,050 of 2,563
  The PM-1 designer has a company - BG Radia - that produces cinema-style loudspeakers.   Price information is hard to find on those loudspeakers, but they look to be on the expensive side, on the order of B&W both for their floor-standing models and their in-walls. 

I think it is interesting how Oppo chose to have the designer be interviewed about the PM-1 at CES.  This is a nod towards a high-end audio product.  Let's see how they sound and measure.  

WHAATTTTT ARE YOU KIDDING... it's gonna be push pull B&G planar driver like neo8 and neo10...

my god!!!

:) this gonna sound awesome..

Planar, electrostatics, piezo are the future of both headphones and speakers

and this time nobody will ever come back to woofers beside for bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back