OPPO Introduces Sonica: A $299 High Fidelity Wi-Fi Speaker
May 24, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #16 of 148
  Sounds interesting, especially since they pair up for stereo use.

However, what the heck is up with the girl leaning out over the subway tracks at 1:18 in the ad? Some type of subliminal marketing, and if so I'm not sure what they're trying to say! 

You got me curious so I looked. Seems to me just a trusting relationship between two girlfriends having fun,
and people who like to have fun like to listen to Sonica speakers of course.
Have no idea what subliminal type thing you think is there, but just looks like a normal promo video. [shrug_shoulders]

May 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 148
I am very interested. However, I will wait to read the expected positive reviews before pulling the trigger. Maybe some early adopters here on Head-Fi will post reviews soon after they start shipping.

May 24, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 148

You got me curious so I looked. Seems to me just a trusting relationship between two girlfriends having fun,
and people who like to have fun like to listen to Sonica speakers of course.
Have no idea what subliminal type thing you think is there, but just looks like a normal promo video. [shrug_shoulders]

True enough. Just having spent a lot of time on NYC subways it's never a good idea to lean out over the tracks like that, no matter how much you trust your friend to hold you. Even if you fall and don't get hit by a train the tracks are not the cleanest place in the world and the rats are the size of raccoons! 

Subliminal thing (was a joke of course) was that the speaker is so good it makes you think about jumping in front of a train... (and pulling your friend with you) 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers 

May 24, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 148
May 24, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 148

Additional services are being investigated, and Spotify is definitely one that we are pushing for the most around the office since Tidal is already supported.

Hi, can you release this device internationally? i asked Oppo Digital hong kong, and they have no plan to release it in hong kong. i'm particularly interested if the device supports tidal and spotify and has internet radio functionality.

May 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #23 of 148
Mine got delivered today. Will try to get it up and running in the next couple of days. It will probably be Friday. I'll let people know what I think.

that was quick, look forward to hearing your thoughts

May 25, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #24 of 148
Quick thought as I just took the time to set the speaker up.

Setup was a breeze. I plugged the unit in. Connected via Android app and had the unit setup in less than 5 minutes. Playing music already.

Will take some time to listen, but the unit has nice bass. I think that it is perfect for my small home office going to let it settle in for a few days. I connected to my dnla server easily and am pulling files over the wireless.

More to come later. I plan on testing Airplay and direct USB connection.

May 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 148
Nice. No dropout issues so far?

May 25, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #26 of 148
  Hi, can you release this device internationally? i asked Oppo Digital hong kong, and they have no plan to release it in hong kong. i'm particularly interested if the device supports tidal and spotify and has internet radio functionality.

Each region runs independent of the other. We are just the first region to start carrying and selling the Sonica speakers. There has been a growing push for OPPO hardware in China and Hong Kong, so I would actually be pretty surprised if you did not see the Sonica speakers made available in that region at some point in the future. 

As for us shipping international, we try to stay away from this for various reasons, the first of most being that warranties are voided once the product is taken out of its intended region (in our case, North America), but we do make exceptions from time to time. So if the product ends up not being made available in your region, we may be able to make an exception in that case.

May 26, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #27 of 148
3.5" woofer is not too bad.  Hopefully it's finally a smaller sized speaker that sounds good enough.  I can't setup a bookshelf system in every small room!

May 26, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #28 of 148
  3.5" woofer is not too bad.  Hopefully it's finally a smaller sized speaker that sounds good enough.  I can't setup a bookshelf system in every small room!

Well, its a compromise of course. A 3.5" woofer in a small box enclosure is not going to sound good enough compared to your bookshelf systems. If you're willing to sacrifice sound quality for convenience then something like this is for you. If you're hoping that this NEW 3.5" woofer in a small box product is going to be better than any other of the million small woofer in a small box enclosure speakers, then you're day dreaming. Yeah, it'll be better than the junk that much can be assumed.

May 26, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #29 of 148

Well, its a compromise of course. A 3.5" woofer in a small box enclosure is not going to sound good enough compared to your bookshelf systems. If you're willing to sacrifice sound quality for convenience then something like this is for you. If you're hoping that this NEW 3.5" woofer in a small box product is going to be better than any other of the million small woofer in a small box enclosure speakers, then you're day dreaming. Yeah, it'll be better than the junk that much can be assumed.

I will say this much. When I compared the Sonica to my media room speakers, I was surprised at how well they stacked up.
In fact, I actually went as far as testing my other speakers to make sure the tweeters weren't half blown because I was kinda shocked.
The Sonica is not just a bunch of speakers thrown together for the sake of blasting music off the walls. They are finely tuned for quality sound and performance.
Don't take my word for it though, just wait until users and reviewers start giving their findings on audio performance.
My fear though is that so many people will be pushing lower quality audio through them and believe them to be limited,
but pushing higher quality music files and HiFi Tidal streams through them and they really sing a pretty song.

May 26, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #30 of 148

I will say this much. When I compared the Sonica to my media room speakers, I was surprised at how well they stacked up.
In fact, I actually went as far as testing my other speakers to make sure the tweeters weren't half blown because I was kinda shocked.

The Sonica is not just a bunch of speakers thrown together for the sake of blasting music off the walls. They are finely tuned for quality sound and performance.
Don't take my word for it though, just wait until users and reviewers start giving their findings on audio performance.
My fear though is that so many people will be pushing lower quality audio through them and believe them to be limited,
but pushing higher quality music files and HiFi Tidal streams through them and they really sing a pretty song.

Are you saying your media room speakers are not "finely tuned for quality sound and performance" because you even checked to see if they were actually broken. I'm sorry your main speakers weren't designed properly, assuming in your comparison that the Sonica is the invariable that was designed properly for quality sound and performance however that can't be true because the Sonica is a major compromise for convenience so either your main speakers are not good, or your perspective is highly askew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back