Oppo HA-2 Review
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 62
Mad, 

You're welcome! 

I see. Cool. Well whatever works for you I guess. Just sounds like a lot of hassle, but if you're willing to do it, then knock yourself out! lol I don't store any videos on my phone, just songs mainly. I backup everything using Google Drive or Google Photos too, so don't need to store them on my phone. I use Microsoft OneDrive to back up my Hi-Res tracks. 

Sounds good! 

One suggestion I'd make is, you could use the program I use (and mentioned earlier), dbPoweramp, to downsample your Hi-Res and FLAC/ALAC tunes to like a High-Grade (320 mbps+) AAC (CBR) files (download the AAC encoder entitled "m4a AAC Encoder (FDK) Release 3" after getting dbPoweramp and install it so you can convert to AAC. That's what I do to save room on my phone. I back them up as lossless FLAC or ALAC, but on the phone high-grade AAC is fine again b/c it's been proven via many scientific tests that although we can hear a difference b/t an mp3 and a lossless FLAC file, we can't b/t a high-grade AAC and a lossless FLAC file, even though AACs are lossy too like mp3s. They use a more complex and efficient method of storage than mp3s do, and sound just as good as lossless. Doing so would save you a TON of space, and you could probably find a program that does the same for your videos. Maybe even make them so small enough that a 256 GB card would be worth it, especially after selling off that HD and HUB. Just an idea. (That's what I would do if I was in your shoes.) 

dbPoweramp comes with a free 3-week trial, but the thing to know is, even after the trial ends, the capability to convert files REMAINS INTACT. I didn't pay a dime for it, but use it all the time. 

No big deal about the pics. lol

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #17 of 62
Well finally got a solution with reading all my music files from a portable hard drive.

Firstly re dbPoweramp:  I actually bought a copy a long time ago, and use it to produce lossless flac files of all my CD's and hi-res DVD-audio files.  I also used it to convert the FLAC files to MP3 320bps to play in the car's sound system.  But I wanted full sound quality in my car.

So.

Contrary to some advice, a salesperson at a local cables and gadgets store advised me that only the cable directly plugged into the Galaxy Note needed to be an on-the-go cable.  We tried an on-the-go cable to a usb hub, plugged hard drive and DAC into the hub (had to buy a male micro b to male USB A cable to connect Oppo HA-2 to hub).

Success. The Galaxy note read the files, the UAPP app detected the HA-2, and off we went.  Access to all my lossless flac files (far more than can fit onto even a 256GB smart card) and the ability to play the files using UAPP out the Galaxy Note Pro's usb port, via the usb hub to the Oppo HA-2, from there to either the Oppo PM-3 headphones, or the stereo line in to my car's sound system.

Merry Christmas!!!!

beyersmile.png

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #18 of 62
Mad, 

Sounds like you've already become an expert with dbPoweramp. The only part I have to disagree with is downsampling them to 320 kbps mp3. I too downsample my tracks not for backup but for when I put them on my phone to play from, and I only downsample them to 320+ kbps AAC (CBR or VBR), usually 400-500 actually. There have been studies done, blind or double blind studies, where people haven't been able to notice a difference b/t AAC and FLAC/ALAC, however, "statistically enough" people have been found to detect a difference b/t mp3 and ALAC/FLAC. In my opinion, if you're not going any lower than 320+ AAC, then you're ALREADY getting full sound quality (from the files at least). What's done is done though. If you have the original files/discs/etc, I would redownsample them accordingly. If not, then all you can do is buy new ones. Just don't do it anymore. MP3s blow. lol 

Yeah, I think I mentioned that before that for Android you are REQUIRED to use On-The-Go (OTG) USB/Micro USB cables for it work. That's what I use to connect my smartphone to my Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC. 

Well that's awesome! Glad to hear it! 

Well it may be more than a 256 GB micro-SD card can handle, but IF you do what I proposed, those files would take up only a FRACTION of the space they do, and sound EXACTLY THE SAME too. Maybe not to a dog that can hear frequencies we can't lol, but to ANY human, they will sound the same. I only backup my Hi-Res and CD-Quality tracks & albums as CD-Quality level FLAC or ALAC b/c that's the smallest they can be downsampled too without losing their losslessness. But to clarify that further, I do that specifically b/c if ever a new format were to come around (anything's possible Mad! lol) that might ACTUALLY somehow make my music sound better than it does, if I try to convert lossy to lossless or even another lossy format, I've been told that it definitely CAN produce artificial distortions to my music, at least minor ones. And I didn't pay good money to have my music messed with. But again, up to you. lol If you are ok with that setting up and carrying it around, that's cool. If not, you always got my option. 
atsmile.gif

Merry Christmas to you too my friend! 

RockStar2005

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #20 of 62
Not sure Azel. The E18 and the HA-2 do seem to be identical in looks and especially features, as you said. I think in terms of looks with the HA-2 having the genuine stitched leather casing and IMO slightly nicer look is why it costs more, but more importantly, it's likely that it also offers better sound quality since it's double the price. I can't vouch for that though simply b/c I've never tried the E18. The only 2 FiiO devices I'm familiar with were both only portable amps, not amp/DACs..........the E6 and the E11k (now entitled the A3). 

If I were you, I'd buy both and try them out. I love my HA-2 so it of course has my vote. You may also want to consider a great more convenient to carry around portable amp/DAC, the Cozoy Astrapi. It's well-reviewed, and I myself have tried it out and was impressed. It doesn't get as loud or offer some of the option the above 2 do (i.e. bass boost, which I never use anyway, and low/high gain, etc), but it's a damn good amp/DAC for the price! It's even smaller than most flash drives and made of a premium metal (aluminum I believe) casing. Only sucks up about 5% of a smartphone battery an hour, which is nothing. Maybe even try them all out and see?! I would buy the Astrapi not from Amazon b/c they don't offer the lowest price, but instead buy it from this reputable buyer off eBay. They offer free-shipping and 30-day returns. If you want convenience but not as high volume or as many options, get the Astrapi. If you want higher volume and possibly better the quality (the HA-2), then get the E18 and/or HA-2 and try them both out and return the one you don't like as much. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #22 of 62
I've heard people say the Mojo is better than the HA-2. I dunno if I'd notice a difference, but maybe? The Mojo is DOUBLE the price of the HA-2 though too ($600 vs $300), so you have to consider that as well. I love my HA-2 so I really don't care. 

A lot of official reviews said the Celsus Sound Companion One I used to have was better the HA-2. It was great but also double the price, and when I compared them, I couldn't hear any real difference at all, so I returned the One and kept the HA-2. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 62
I'm going to have to try to audition this Mojo. I replaced my HA-2 stack with the iBasso D6 as I'm thinking I prefer the warmer signature of the Dual Wolfson Dac's. Might just have to leave the HA-2 strapped to the X3 which sounds very good although in some respects it's ludicrous as the X3 cost half what the HA-2 did not to mention the Sabre DAC is now out of the equation and is probably overkill. I keep saying to myself it does not look right. The source should be a little more in line with the cost of the oppo but my ears tell me it's quite a good match.

Just when you think you are done spending on this hobby along comes the Mojo. For the same price a DX80 + D14.

I hate this hobby.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 62
oldmate, 

Yeah go for it (Mojo)! Let me know what you think, especially vs. the HA-2 if possible. 

Well what I've learned since jumping into the "audio aficionado" game over a year ago is that in the end, you can ONLY trust your own ears, not other people's. You can use their input as a "guide" but never "the final word", because if YOU don't hear a difference, than what they hear will be irrelevant to you and your ears. If a certain setup really grabs your interest, then you need to consider that

Haha yeah............. they're such bastards!! If you actually buy the Mojo, then feel free to come by here and post about your experiences with it. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #25 of 62
Thanks for the review.  I just got my HA-2 on yesterday and I'm enjoying it immensely so far as the cohesion with my B&W P7, iPad Pro, iPhone 6 Plus and the HA-2 is spot on.  However, I didn't think the HA-2 would drive my HE-500 cans due to the impedance but it does a great job.  BTW, I'm really digging TIDAL HiFi with me little setup.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #26 of 62
arftech, 

You're quite welcome! I'm always happy to hear someone tell me they enjoyed reading one of my reviews. And I'm glad the HA-2 has apparently EXCEEDED your expectations (HE-500)! 

That's cool about Tidal. I heard the quality of the Tidal HiFi is really good.

I don't really do (or am into) streaming. I listen to my radio.com app here and there, and Pandora too (though very rarely). What I've gotten most into over the last 15 mos is listening to Hi-Res albums. That really was the catalyst for me getting into buying premium headphones and using amp/DACs. 2 years ago, I didn't really give a crap about all that. lol I had a $30 pair of V-Moda earphones and that was fine for me. But all that changed when I started to realize that these Hi-Res albums really did offer improved sound, and that I wouldn't really hear it from just listening in my car or off cheap headphones/earphones. Now I'm listening to albums (even new ones) that I've heard dozens of time before like they were brand new, so listening to music's becoming much more exciting to me than it ever really was. And the HA-2 (along with my AKG K553 Pro headphones) contributes a lot to that. Now there are no weak links......... great source files, check. Great amp/DAC to handle the processing, check. Great headphones to deliver fantastic sound, check. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 62
How well does the HA2 handle somewhat iffy audio files on IOS?  I have been playing some podcasts through another device, and every so often the unit simple pauses.  My sense is that the HA2 is specifically designed for iphones etc. and may handle audio glitches well.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #28 of 62
snuffy, 

Not sure what you mean by "iffy" audio files? The audio formats I know the HA-2 can handle are: mp3, AAC/MP4, WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, and DSD. So basically all the main ones. I don't know for sure outside of that what it can do. 

What I'd recommend doing is e-mailing Oppo and asking them. They are great about responding to customer questions pretty quickly (1-2 bus days tops), and should be able to further confirm or answer your question. You can reach them here.

It probably will handle them better. The HA-2 is designed for ALL devices............iOS, Android, and Windows (and of course PC/Mac computers too). All the necessary cables come supplied with the HA-2, though they are only about 6 inches long. You may want to get an extension cable off Amazon for your iOS device if need be. 

I've owned the HA-2 for 4-5 months now, and I completely love it! 

Please reply back if you have any more questions. When Oppo replies back to you, let us know what they say so others browsing through this post can benefit as well. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 62
By "iffy" I mean audio files from podcasters with unknown 'lineage"   Specifically I am playing, with mixed success, "the Deadpod" which is a podcast of Grateful Dead music.  Some episodes play back perfectly, and others have "glitches" which cause the iphone 6 plus to "pause" at random spots when played through a Mojo using the Apple CCK.   I do not know if those postcasts will cause similar breaks with other external DAC units or not.  That was the question in a nutshell.  I have not been scientific enough to see if the glitches always occur at the same spots as I am driving a car when I listen and I am focused on the road not the location in the podcast.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #30 of 62
snuffy, 

Ok. I know nothing about that format. Just mention it in your e-mail to Oppo and let us know what they say if you would. 

I myself don't stream that much at all. I mainly just listen to songs & albums I have stored on my smartphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back