Oppo HA-2 Review
Jan 16, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #32 of 62
snuffy, 

Oh ok. So you have them stored already? Got it. 

Ok so I guess you should just use nplayer then. I still recommend trying out the HA-2, but up to you. I know you have the Mojo, which has been said to be better than the HA-2 (though it also costs TWICE as much as the HA-2 lol), but I'd like to hear more from people who own or have tried both out side-by-side to see if it's unanimous or not. I used to own the Celsus Sound Companion One, which also costs about the same as the Mojo (though it recently went down $50) and was also rated by professional reviewers as being better than the HA-2. But when I tried them both out in a very extensive side-by-side using Hi-Res tracks, I could NOT hear a difference myself (and my hearing is pretty good), and therefore returned the Companion One.......saving me $300!! So I guess the lesson learned is if you want to know how good a device sounds, you should test it out yourself. lol 

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #33 of 62
I do not actually own the Mojo, at least not yet  I have it on an extended "tour".  My tour host has been more than generous with the loaner time.   So I have settled into a mode where I am using the Mojo as it was truly my unit.  As a DAC / AMP fed by my two FIIO units it is over the top nice.  As a computer DAC it is good as long as one is willing to fiddle with drivers a bit.

But as Apple CCK style device, unlike many, my experience has been mixed.  So that is why I have been asking some questions to the HA-2 community.  Because the HA-2 remains "in the competitive mix".  Except for as far I know the HA-2 can not be fed by the FIIO units.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #34 of 62
snuffy, 

I see, ok. That's cool that your tour host has let you try it out for so long. 

Well again, I definitely recommend trying out the HA-2. Worst case scenario is you don't like it more than the Mojo, and just return it. You can buy the HA-2 from the Oppo site itself or else Amazon for about the same price on either. If you do, after comparing it to the Mojo, please feel free to come back here and let us know your regarding about your experience. I myself would like to know too. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #35 of 62
Paskii, 

I'm very sorry. Somehow I missed your post from 10/26, and just happened to see it now. 

Well I initially owned the $599 (now $549) Celsus Sound Companion One (CO), which a few reviews said was superior to the HA-2. The CO is the first of its kind (portable amp/DAC) that offered Wi-Fi streaming instead of the more inferior but more common Bluetooth. A very cool feature, but when testing it against a wired connection, I was able to tell a small but discernible difference. Once that happened, I wasn't as excited about it anymore. So despite what the reviews said, I decided to get the HA-2 and compare it vs. my CO. Sometimes you have to do that. After doing some very in-depth comparisons using the same tracks at same volumes, I was UNABLE to tell any difference between the 2 devices, and the HA-2 was HALF the price of the CO, and a more portable too (the CO looks like a fat iPhone lol, though still very nice). The CO was a bit bulky, and I was always worried I'd drop it. The HA-2 however is smaller and sleeker and comes with its own genuine stitched leather casing (not a case, but close). Since returning my CO, I have been EXTREMELY happy with my HA-2! So just keep that in mind if you ever wanna reconsider the HA-2. 

Now to answer your question, I have 2 less expensive recommendations: 

1) The Cozoy Astrapi: I don't own it, but I'd tried it out before giving it to a friend of mine for his b'day last fall. When I tried it out, it sounded very good and also a guy at the T-Mobile Store I was trying them out at thought they were fantastic and even took pics of the box so he could buy one himself. lol It's tiny..... like a flash drive, made of metal, doesn't have a battery so no recharging necessary (uses about 5% of your smartphone battery an hour), very easy to use, and nicely priced too. Best price is found by buying it from a reputable seller on eBay (free shipping). It's compatible with all phone types and PC.

2) The FiiO E18K Kunlun: Here you have a great amp/DAC which also offers Low/High Gain options, Bass Boost (I don't recommend it though), and more power than the Astrapi can offer. It has its own battery, so you must recharge it separately. It also doubles as a power bank, so you can use it to recharge your phone. Very nice quality, like the Astrapi. Though it is much more similar to the HA-2 in design, style, and features. 

Hope that helps!!

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #36 of 62
Happy owner of Oppo HA-2 here as well. Had been using it for a month now with an iPad, iPhone and Asus Laptop.

Like most here, I was also curious how the HA-2 stack up against the more expensive Mojo in terms of SQ, specially with how much rave Mojo is getting. Well, today I was able to audition the Chord Mojo and test it side by side against my HA-2. Let's just say I couldn't be more satisfied leaving the store just with my HA-2.

I did the test using Onkyo HF Player and Spotify from my iPad mini 3 and a JVC FX850 IEM with stock ear tip and according to my ears, there's no discernible difference in terms of SQ, sound stage and clarity between the two. The only noticeable difference is that the Mojo has a better amp than the HA-2.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #37 of 62
DropD, 

Wow! You are the first person that I've seen say they ACTUALLY have tried out the $299 HA-2 vs. the $599 Mojo side-by-side, and that the Mojo was NOT any better sounding! That is great news!!! That is what I thought would happen too if I compared them, b/c when I had the $595 Celsus Sound Companion One (CO) before the HA-2, despite some reviews saying the CO was better, I myself did NOT notice a difference at all. So I returned my CO & kept my HA-2 and have loved using it ever since! I've had it for about 4 months now too. 

Well even though the Mojo has a better amp, that doesn't mean the amp on the HA-2 isn't MORE than satisfactory as is I'm sure, especially in High Gain mode. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us here! Much appreciated! This is very great & exciting news!! 
L3000.gif
  lol

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #38 of 62
Indeed, HA-2 AMP is good and is enough for on-the-go setup with IEM's in my case. I'd probably go around the mall again this weekend, been wanting to try out the HA-2 against some DAPs I been eyeing for.

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #43 of 62
Hey Girl, 

I had the $399 Oppo PM-3 planar magnetic headphones around the same time that I got the HA-2. But now I can't remember if I actually tried them out on the HA-2. However, my current $142 AKG K550 MK II (not planars) in my opinion sounds BETTER than those $399 PM-3s did. I've extensively tried out a lot of headphones, and the K550 MK IIs are the ones to beat. I pair them with my HA-2 (which I STILL own and love) and the sound quality is unstoppable! 
L3000.gif

I'm pretty sure that seller on eBay will ship to Brazil, but check anyway. And I got that 3-year Square Trade warranty too, and recommend you do the same. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #44 of 62
Tx for the feedback!I actually have the Ha-2 and wondering what other owners think about them paired specifically with Planars.(Looking at purchasing a better dac/amp but wondering if I really need to!)The Zmf Omni's are hard to drive but they do well with my ha-2's and wondering if I'm missing anything as far as soundstage and detail!Tx again for your thoughts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back