Oppo HA-1 with Mac Mini HDMI/USB Conflict
Apr 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

clar2391

New Head-Fier
I've had my HA-1 for a couple of weeks now and I love it so far. I have one issue that I've emailed Oppo support about and they've not seen it before and suspect the issue is on my side. When I use the HA-1 with my 2014 Mac Mini (OSX 10.10.3) via USB it works fine. However, if I then plug my HDMI cable from the Mac Mini to my Samsung TV, the USB driver becomes 'unstable'. If look at the Audio Midi applet in OSX, the USB driver appears, then disappears, then reappers, and so on and eventually goes away...the USB output becomes unavailable. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the Mac Mini, the HA-1 USB reappears and is available to play.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?
I also have an Intel NUC that runs Windows 8.1 and 10 and it works fine the both the HA-1's USB and HDMI connected.
I've tried different USB ports on the Mac Mini, different USB and HDMI cables, and different HDMI inputs on the TV, but the results are the same.
Any ideas are appreciated.

May 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 8

Hi,

It does appear, given your description of the problem, that the issue is on the OS X side of things. It's a bit of a longshot but have your tried doing a clean install of the OS on your Mac Mini? You didn't mention that in your post and it's something I would at least try, if you are still encountering this issue. Good luck!

May 25, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 8
I remember the days of just buying a cd putting it in my CD player and listening to music. Why is it in 2015 people can spend thousands of dollars and have to consider reinstaling an OS to make music play? Not saying it's not the solution to this issue but it's funny how we seem to being going backwards and these kind of issues keep a lot of people away from high end computer audio.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 8
THIS is the understatement of the year. I personally feel you have to be over 40 (before Windows) or so to appreciate this though. We ARE moving backwards in terms of (simple purchasable) reliable playback with high rez music over the past 36 months.

Guys (and ladies), the current frequency of playback issues, ACROSS MULTIPLE TECHNOLOGIES AND AUDIO EQ & DEVICES with/without IT PLATFORMS in the chain, when trying to simply listen to your favorite music is ridiculous and embarrassing....and I'm a "cup half full" kind of guy.

I've worked for large electronics MFGs over past 20 years and currently run a commercial A/V technology firm regional office and have a certain perspective possibly being responsible for delivering easy to use, reliable A/V systems to end-uers.

None of us should be accepting the "current state of affairs" in terms of simply seeking a plug and play HP/SPKR with amp with DAC with source combination system including the literal music. We can read forums after forums, worlwide, with such problems as lead topics.

I'm not one for insisting (nor do I like the idea) that you be forced to stay with one MFG throughout the signal chain but music listeners should feel like they have fewer and fewer choices with hardware purchases when they have $ to spend, when it comes to simply assembling a HD audio kit by paring a few components together.

Don't own a single piece of Sony gear in any of my three rooms but their (or other MFGs) roadmap going forward, from music SOURCE to DAP to DAC to AMP to HPs is compelling and will win the day IMO.

Didn't mean to hijack the topic at hand.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't tend to have issues with dacs whether it's from my windows pcs or iPhone. It's very straightforward and works great. I think you also forget about the trouble of cd cases breaking and the CDs getting scratched up and skipping. Not to mention having to get up to find and switch discs. Seriously? Are you going to recommend to your buyers the massive 100 disc cd changers from back in the day?

As for the original post, sorry don't have a Mac mini so can't try. It looks great in a living room setting tho. Might want to try a external powered sub hub.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Have to agree with amnesiac75....hence my admitted rant. "Ease of use", amongst the various, competing digital music product software / hardware MFGs, so that an entry level user with disposable income to a "veteran" user can quickly get up and going with their mobile device and their PC and their AV gear and their purchased (CDs and download) and yet to be purchased music is far from that... easy to use. Look no further than the 500+ music gear forums from, frankly, experienced users asking HOW TO get started with "listening to my music" Q&A.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 8
Well if you really want ease of use with downloaded digital formats a pretty easy way is to just use media servers such as a Aurender X100L which will serve up your music without any issues.  Computers are multi-purpose, and some people have problems with them, whether they are trying to play music or not.  It's not really an apples to apples comparison.  If the computer uses optical out, there usually won't be those problems.  Using USB enables features not attainable with optical.  BTW I've never had to reinstall my OS to just make it work with a DAC.  You can keep fighting and criticizing the growing trend, but this is the way, but it's the way it's going and it'll get better.  Most people don't have problems playing music from their computer.  And most DACs now come with simple few steps to configure your connection for optimal playback.  

People used to playback with CD's might think computer based audio is complicated.  Just like some people think smartphones are harder to use than feature phones.  But you learn, and you can gain a heck of a lot more functionality.  It's just as easy to stick to CD's/or Vinyl too.  There are plenty of users out there to support that ecosystem.  

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 8

Not sure if you already solved this.

But a simple thing to try would be to see if turning off  'HDMI-CEC' ( see entry on Wikipedia) on your TV (Samsung sometimes calls this feature 'Anynet+' ). This may be interacting in a weird way with the Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back