Oppo Digital BDP-83SE and NuForce Oppo BDP-83SE
Jul 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #76 of 93
anyone familiar with the modwright version of the bdp-83 and bdp-83se?  i heard from modwright themselves that their mods sound better on the bdp-83; apparently, according to modwright, the bdp-83 se modded is overly analytical sounding.  interesting to hear a modder admit that.   any a/b's between the nu force and the modwright? 

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #77 of 93
I had Exemplar Audio mod my 83SE. It was the first SE that they had done. That's why it took two months to do. The ESS DAC's operate on a different voltage than the DAC's in the standard BDP-83 so the mods are not directly interchangeable. And yes, if all you did is change the voltages (for the DAC's) and left everything else the same the SE does come out hyper-analytical, but a skilled modder such as John Tucker at Exemplar Audio listens to his work and adjusts the mods to voice the outcome.

The real question is: do the ESS Sabre DAC's make for a better player when properly modded? Unfortunately I don't have a modded standard 83 with which to compare my modded 83SE. Immtbiker has a Exemplar BDP-83, at some point we might be able to compare them.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #78 of 93
Is there a way to disable the resume playback memory for SACD's?  I'd like to be able to just hit "stop", and then when I hit "play" it starts from the beginning.  Or be able to directly type in a track number then enter, and it plays that track directly without having to play first then skip.   I can't find in the menu where you can disable the resume playback memory feature.

Only hitting stop twice stops then plays back from the beginning of the entire disc.  I'd like to be able to hit stop, then when I hit play, it starts up from the beginning of the track I was on, rather than restart from the very beginning of the disc.

Also, is it possible to start from a specific track, like hitting a number, then enter and have it go directly to that track without being in play already?  I'd like to be able to play from a stop to a specific track.

-Ed

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #80 of 93
Yeah, I read through it.  Couldn't find an option to disable it.  Only pressing stop twice.  Which works, I guess it's not that annoying.  But not being able to directly enter a track number and play it from the start is annoying.  Even my cheap portable CD player can do that

.-Ed

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #81 of 93

Quote:
Is there a way to disable the resume playback memory for SACD's?  I'd like to be able to just hit "stop", and then when I hit "play" it starts from the beginning.  Or be able to directly type in a track number then enter, and it plays that track directly without having to play first then skip.   I can't find in the menu where you can disable the resume playback memory feature.

Only hitting stop twice stops then plays back from the beginning of the entire disc.  I'd like to be able to hit stop, then when I hit play, it starts up from the beginning of the track I was on, rather than restart from the very beginning of the disc.

Also, is it possible to start from a specific track, like hitting a number, then enter and have it go directly to that track without being in play already?  I'd like to be able to play from a stop to a specific track.

-Ed

You seem to have a good understanding of how it works, the only thing I can add is if you want to repeat the same track press the repeat button once (twice will repeat all of the tracks). Or when the track you are playing is near the end just press the last chapter button once and the track will repeat once.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #83 of 93
Seven of them?   LOL.  Wow.  That's commitment.

BTW, nice thing about SACD in DSD playback, is that it's about as pure as you can get.  None of the Speaker Configuration settings have any effect on SACD in DSD mode.  It needs to be in PCM mode to be able to do those signal processing. 

Been reading through the unofficial Oppo BDP-83 FAQ again.
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

-Ed

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #85 of 93

Quote:
I sold two of my DT48, & selling another to help cover the NUFORCE mod.. I really want it bad.. & I still have 7 DT48 which are off limits.

The Nuforce upgrade is really only beneficial for the 2Ch dedicated analog side of the Audio board. Of-course that is saying that your 2Ch system is neutral and clean.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #86 of 93

Quote:

BTW, nice thing about SACD in DSD playback, is that it's about as pure as you can get.  None of the Speaker Configuration settings have any effect on SACD in DSD mode.  It needs to be in PCM mode to be able to do those signal processing. 

-Ed

Yes that link is helpful but remember one thing piratically in the calibrations FAQ that is just one opinion, and not necessarily the right opinion.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #87 of 93

Yes, it's safe to say I'm a bit compulsive, better then 7 R10.. 25,000.

I'm keeping 7 cause when a headphone is in production as long as the DT48, materials, etc change, which effects the sound.. I would never own 7 DT48 if they all sounded the same. That would be sheer madness.. But Kevin who owns & loves his HD800 has 5 DT48.. So there is something to them. Sounding like a headphone is very unique in a day when headphones want to sound like speakers.
Quote:

-Ed

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #88 of 93

You have been great help to me sally & your avatar is inspiring... I'm currently selling my 2930CI & 5900.. I REALLY want the NUFORCE upgrade.. Their place of business is only 6 miles away.. & Yes, I only listen to two Channel.. My 50's NAGRA are ultra clean & neutral.. I know the HD800 is cleaner.. I just wish the oppo83se mated better with my favorite headphones..
Quote:

The Nuforce upgrade is really only beneficial for the 2Ch dedicated analog side of the Audio board. Of-course that is saying that your 2Ch system is neutral and clean.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #89 of 93

Quote:
You have been great help to me sally & your avatar is inspiring... I'm currently selling my 2930CI & 5900.. I REALLY want the NUFORCE upgrade.. Their place of business is only 6 miles away.. & Yes, I only listen to two Channel.. My 50's NAGRA are ultra clean & neutral.. I know the HD800 is cleaner.. I just wish the oppo83se mated better with my favorite headphones..

My 3930ci is long gone, and my BD-09 hasn't been used since last November when I got my BD-83NE. I had a BD-83 (now upgraded to the SE) but only in-case the NE's BD loader goes bad. This way all I have to do is swap the NE's audio board with my SE and I have a new NE, no down time and waiting for Oppo to fix it.

If you want I would think Jason (Nuforce) will let you try the NE before you buy, also if Cassy is in talk to him both great guys.
I think what the difference you will find with the NE over the SE is the NE seems to lift a veil.

I like the Cardas HD-800 cord with my HD-800's (Jude's review of the Cardas HD-800 will give you a good idea). My Cardas cord went bad last Thursday but I had a new Cardas here on Friday. I too don't pay around with my audio. The only thing I don't have a backup for are my nos WE300B's (code 5626).

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #90 of 93

As always, your post is very helpful. So the Cardas works really well with the HD800.. How does it better the HD800? What is the cost for 8FT?
Quote:

My 3930ci is long gone, and my BD-09 hasn't been used since last November when I got my BD-83NE. I had a BD-83 (now upgraded to the SE) but only in-case the NE's BD loader goes bad. This way all I have to do is swap the NE's audio board with my SE and I have a new NE, no down time and waiting for Oppo to fix it.

If you want I would think Jason (Nuforce) will let you try the NE before you buy, also if Cassy is in talk to him both great guys.
I think what the difference you will find with the NE over the SE is the NE seems to lift a veil.

I like the Cardas HD-800 cord with my HD-800's (Jade's review of the Cardas HD-800 will give you a good idea). My Cardas cord went bad last Thursday but I had a new Cardas here on Friday. I too don't pay around with my audio. The only thing I don't have a backup for are my nos WE300B's (code 5626).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back