Oppo Digital BDP-83SE and NuForce Oppo BDP-83SE
May 31, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #61 of 93
OK, I'm using a NuForce BDP-83 NE player as my source.  I want to run both a headphone and speakers solution.  Since my current amp does not have a HP output, I am looking to get a separate HP amp.  I was looking into amps like the Woo Audio WA6SE, but my problem is the Nuforce BDP-83 NE has only one set of outputs.  I could just run a line from my integrated amp's tape out (or line out to power amp) to the headphone amp's input, but not sure if this is better solution than using an external splitter. Does anyone have experience with this?

May 31, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #62 of 93
The only problem with that is that the signal is traveling the double of the length...I think that your best bet is an splitter, get a solid one, it is a trade off between a longer cable or an splitter insertion, both will give you a signal loss, I personally prefer the splitter, or maybe have someone make a set of cables like a long splitter....

May 31, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #63 of 93
All the analog RCA output jacks are active, so if you are running 2ch analog to both your amps you can use the 2ch multi and also the 2ch dedicated rca jacks, or Coaxial, Optical. Or you can simply change the two interconnect cables from your oppo to your amp. The later is the way I would do it there for being able to use the 2ch analog side of the audio board in your oppo.
As far as a HP amp I have a WA6SE max and that would be a very good choice, however the WA5LE max is the best choice for both music and Blu Ray movies. The Oppo BD-83 has the best down-mix for 2ch analog of 5.!/7.1 HQ soundtracks from BDs. Add a pair of senn HD-800s and you may never use your speaker system again, i don't use my 7.1 speaker system anymore. 
The BD-83NE analog 2ch dedicated output is one of the best at any price for both 2ch music or multi ch down-mix.

Quote:
OK, I'm using a NuForce BDP-83 NE player as my source.  I want to run both a headphone and speakers solution.  Since my current amp does not have a HP output, I am looking to get a separate HP amp.  I was looking into amps like the Woo Audio WA6SE, but my problem is the Nuforce BDP-83 NE has only one set of outputs.  I could just run a line from my integrated amp's tape out (or line out to power amp) to the headphone amp's input, but not sure if this is better solution than using an external splitter. Does anyone have experience with this?

May 31, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #64 of 93
The analog 7.1 front outs if the material is multichannel will not give you the whole story, just the part that is encoded for those two channels...

May 31, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #66 of 93
There is basically two audio boards in the oppo se/ne. Yes you can use the multichannel side of the audio board for two ch, you just must set the oppo speaker settings to R/L and down-mix to 2ch stereo.
Of-course for 2ch analog stereo out you are better off using the dedicated 2ch RCA outs and there by using the dedicated 2ch side of the audio board. The 2ch dedicated audio board side of the oppo audio board uses a 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels.

As far as using any splitters external per amps etc, don't do it. Also keep in mind the shortest run with no breaks in your interconnects is always the best way to go.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #67 of 93
Thanks for the advice.  I didn't want to use the multi outputs for my second 2-channel out because I wanted to utilise the dedicated 2-channel side of the Nuforce (Heck, that's why I paid so much for it in the first place).  The other option was to get a Woo Audio WA2 instead and use its pre-amp out.

I sort of knew switching cables was going to be the best solution (from audio viewpoint) but did not want the hassle everytime.

The Nuforce Oppo has a great 2-channel output.  I have always maintained that CDPs more or less sound the same, but when I put the Nuforce into the equation, the difference was readily apparent and to the better.  I had bought it for the Blu Ray because my intention was to run a Macbook Pro through an Ayre QB-9 for my audio.  But now I have put the QB-9 on hold because I am happy with the sound so far.  I'll probably come back to the computer solution some time in the future just because it's so darn convenient having your whole library there.

To those that say run-in is necessary - not to my ears.  The machine sounded great right out of the box.  The only little niggly point is when changing tracks, the new track number does not show up on the display until the machine switches over to it, so not really sure the remote worked as there is no visual confirmation.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #68 of 93
How does the stock BDP-83SE's analog Multi Channel outs (not the stereo one) compare to the regular stock BDP-83?  Is it worth nearly double the price?

I will likely not really use the downmixed stereo output at all really. 

I want for my Smyth SVS Realiser primarily for multichannel SACD / DVD-Audio and for Lossless audio for BluRays (DD TrueHD and DTS-HD MA)

-Ed

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #69 of 93
Well that's a interesting post, and I wounder if the down-mixing capability's of the Oppo BD-83SE/NE would be better than that of the Smyth system capability's, using the Oppo SE dedicated 2ch analog side of the audio board plus you can use a headphone like the HD-800s there by have the huge sound-stage of the HD-800s along with the bass impact/slam of a dynamic system for movies.

Anyway to address your question yes the SE multi channel side of the audio board will give you a little better audio but nothing like the the dedicated 2ch analog side of the Oppo SE/NE audio board.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #70 of 93
Not really, because, the Smyth system is a DSP that creates virtual speakers based on custom measurements done with microphones inserted into your ears.  My favorite is the PRIR calibration I had done at AIX Records' main studio.

-Ed

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #71 of 93
So you have heard the Oppo BD-83SE/NE and its 2ch analog down-mix capability's along with the HD-800's and a high end amp? Just because it claims to have DSP and custom measurements doesn't mean a hole lot to create virtual speakers, Oppo does the same thing except without the measurements and use of a external devise/processor. For movies I would think there could be a slight sync problem with the Smyth system.

What kind of rig are you using with your Smyth?

I should add that when you say DSP that suggest to me that the smyth is doing a a/d/a conversion and any 5.1/7.1 analog out is doing a d/a conversion already, so the amount of processing that is going on by the time a 2ch analog signal goes to your 2ch headphones is tremendous. imo the least amount of processing will help to preserve the original sound-track.
It is for that and other reasons taking advantage of the BD-83SE/NEs great down-mix and 2ch side of the sound board and dedicated outs directly via interconnects to your amp is the purest and probably the best way to reproduce the sound-track using headphones.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #73 of 93
For two ch analog I use a WA5LE with a pair of HD-800's. But something like a WA6SE should work well also, but still not as good as the WA5LE.

Also remember this player is not for use with a balanced amp, however you can get a mod done for a balanced amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back