Oppo BDP-83
May 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

m0nKeY bUsiNeSs

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my OPPO BDP-83 today. It is really a well thought out player. Even though it is really more of home theater equipment it really has a lot of features for to make 2 channel audiophiles happy, extra space around the 2 channel RCA outputs, PCM conversion, pure audio mode which turns the video off, and lots of audio configuration options.

When I get the chance I'll give it a listen vs my Marantz SA-8001 for SACD, and Bryston B100's DAC for PCM.

m0nkey-business-albums-hometheater-picture2539-oppo-bdp-83.jpg

m0nkey-business-albums-hometheater-picture2540-oppo-bdp-83-reverse.jpg

May 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 21
I received the email as well a few weeks back, but after a few emails back and forth with them, I decided to wait a few months to see what happen. Nowadays BD is really cheap, I do not really need it, and the only reason I would get it if just for the build quality and sound, but I have not heard yet, if is possible to remove the region restrictions for the DVD at least, and unfortunatelly the prior ones were a pice fo cake, and I have a bunch of material in region 2 and some of them in PAL, PAL is not a problem but the regions seems to be. Any news regarding that???

May 17, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 21
just a couple things...

mine should get here thursday...taking a little longer 'cuz i opted for the rs232 port
smile.gif
...but my brother already has his so i've been pestering him to give me his impressions...

anyways, he's been comparing it to his lyngdorf cd-1 and the oppo is gettin' trounced haha...i think both of us were hoping it would be a suitable high-end transport...i'm waiting to hear from him about its high resolution performance...

but it's geared mainly towards visual freaks...which was to be expected...

this place is already offering mods...their ultimate analog audio edition looks like a good start, but is pretty vague on what parts are used (it's still early in the game)...

May 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 21
techfreakazoid,

They did leave DVD-Audio play back in. That being said they don't really mention it anywhere in the manual so it may be an unsupported feature.
I only own 1 DVD-Audio, 1812 Overture on the Telarc label. I don't have another DVD-A player to compare the Oppo against, so I can't really draw any conclusive decisions about DVD-A playback. The one disc I had played back just fine and sounded good for whatever that is worth.

techfreakazoid, thathertz,

As for the SACD Playback I'll get to that tonight. While I have a bunch of SACDs, I don't have two of the same one so I'll have to play it in one player then eject it and play it in the other.

Redbook CD comparison was pretty easy; I plugged both the 2 channel analog and the coaxial digital into my Bryston B100 so that I could switch back and forth instantly. I won't lie the Bryston's DAC sounds more spacious and open. There is a sense of refinement to it that the OPPO doesn't have. The OPPO still sounds pretty good though, just not as good as a DAC that costs twice as much as the entire player.

Blu-ray audio will have to wait. The player came earlier that expected so my Blu-rays haven't arrived from Amazon yet.

Sovkiller,
You can choose to have PAL content converted to NTSC or output as PAL(There are ALOT of options on this player). As to multi-region play back I have not tested that yet as I don't have any region 2 disks.

I'll let all of you know how SACD sounds tonight.

May 18, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 21
I have the 983 and was thinking of this unit but I have region 1 + 2 disks so my question would be can the region free mod work with this model, I have heard it does not.

May 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by emelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a couple things...

mine should get here thursday...taking a little longer 'cuz i opted for the rs232 port
smile.gif
...but my brother already has his so i've been pestering him to give me his impressions...

anyways, he's been comparing it to his lyngdorf cd-1 and the oppo is gettin' trounced haha...i think both of us were hoping it would be a suitable high-end transport...i'm waiting to hear from him about its high resolution performance...

but it's geared mainly towards visual freaks...which was to be expected...

this place is already offering mods...their ultimate analog audio edition looks like a good start, but is pretty vague on what parts are used (it's still early in the game)...

Interesting custom options. Guess the BDP-83 is quite scaleable with the right mods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nKeY bUsiNeSs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
techfreakazoid,

They did leave DVD-Audio play back in. That being said they don't really mention it anywhere in the manual so it may be an unsupported feature.
I only own 1 DVD-Audio, 1812 Overture on the Telarc label. I don't have another DVD-A player to compare the Oppo against, so I can't really draw any conclusive decisions about DVD-A playback. The one disc I had played back just fine and sounded good for whatever that is worth.

techfreakazoid, thathertz,

As for the SACD Playback I'll get to that tonight. While I have a bunch of SACDs, I don't have two of the same one so I'll have to play it in one player then eject it and play it in the other.

Redbook CD comparison was pretty easy; I plugged both the 2 channel analog and the coaxial digital into my Bryston B100 so that I could switch back and forth instantly. I won't lie the Bryston's DAC sounds more spacious and open. There is a sense of refinement to it that the OPPO doesn't have. The OPPO still sounds pretty good though, just not as good as a DAC that costs twice as much as the entire player.

Blu-ray audio will have to wait. The player came earlier that expected so my Blu-rays haven't arrived from Amazon yet.

Sovkiller,
You can choose to have PAL content converted to NTSC or output as PAL(There are ALOT of options on this player). As to multi-region play back I have not tested that yet as I don't have any region 2 disks.

I'll let all of you know how SACD sounds tonight.

Thanks mb. I guess you can expect only so much for the price point to cover the licensing costs for all the audio formats. If I were to pick up the BDP-83, I would use it as an HDMI transport to a quality HT receiver for Blu-ray audio. Look forward to hearing the rest of your impressions.

May 18, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 983 and was thinking of this unit but I have region 1 + 2 disks so my question would be can the region free mod work with this model, I have heard it does not.

Hang onto the 983 for DVD's, the Oppo BD player will be locked to one region.

May 18, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hang onto the 983 for DVD's, the Oppo BD player will be locked to one region.

I was afraid someone would say that
frown.gif

At least this confirms to me the 983 is the best DVD player for the money.

See you are using the RCA multi channel output, I'm too doing this to get the best from SACD and DVDA etc, but I find it a bit weak sounding on the bass, for example if I play a DVD movie using the digital out and let my AMP decode the bass is great. If I switch my AMP to use the multi RCA in the sound is much lower and the bass is quieter.

I have set the 983 to have all small speakers and said I have a sub woofer.

I'm just worried that I'm not getting the best from my SACD and DVDA disks!!

What setting have you set?

Thanks

May 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm not using analogue output from 983, just coaxial into a Lexicon MC-8. I don't have any SACD or DVD-Audio discs.

That's a downer about analogue out, if you can tell on a av amp, I'm sure can tell on a high end av pre-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back