Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray universal player....coming 1/25/2010
Jan 25, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if this one will get repackaged and sold for $3,000, as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I believe I did see something about Lexicon coming out with a new BD player...

lol... i was about to say the same exact thing.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #17 of 32
sarathcpt -

You will never find an SACD player that can officially output over non-proprietary digital or S/PDIF afaik, it's part of the SACD 'spec' *cough* DRM *cough*. There are mod chips and boards only for certain players that have chips from which you can intercept the PCM data and output over S/PDIF.

I'd been looking in to that area myself but have resigned myself to the fact that SACD, while lauded by some, will never be convenient for those who want to use more than the analog output on the SACD player. I'm thinking it's worth just skipping SACD and looking at 24/96 digital downloads. It might not have the same breadth of catalog as SACD discs but SACD is in limbo at best, the type of music that is mostly on SACD and the clientele for that music is less likely to be involved in file sharing so that's why you see classical downloads at SACD sample rates (and hopefully SACD mastering quality.)

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #18 of 32
I'm so selling off my OPPO to get this new one...

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sarathcpt -

You will never find an SACD player that can officially output over non-proprietary digital or S/PDIF afaik, it's part of the SACD 'spec' *cough* DRM *cough*. There are mod chips and boards only for certain players that have chips from which you can intercept the PCM data and output over S/PDIF.

Ah...makes sense. Thanks! But whats the big deal...even Apple sell non-DRM music nowadays
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sarathcpt -

.)

Quoting waveoman from another thread :

Oppo will downtranslate the SACD's DSD bitstream on the non-HDMI digital outputs (coax SPIDF, for example) to standard low-res LPCM. Older PS3's with SACD playback will give you 176.4, at least if you set them correctly (I use an external HDMI-to-SPDIF converter). Other units will give you 88.2 (like my Wadia SACD player).

176.4 ain't bad, it's an exact 8-to-1 decimation (should be "octamation") of true DSD, and it's the best bitstream I've been able to get from an SACD. But it's not true DSD!

Seems something is possible.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 32
The conversion and downsampling of DSD to pcm is not ideal however. The whole idea behind hi rez loses it's mojo when you have to degrade it from it's original/native mastering format at optimal bit/sampling rates. It's similar to cutting down 24/96 LPCM to 16/48 PCM although not as dramatic in actual terms.

Peete.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quoting waveoman from another thread :

Oppo will downtranslate the SACD's DSD bitstream on the non-HDMI digital outputs (coax SPIDF, for example) to standard low-res LPCM. Older PS3's with SACD playback will give you 176.4, at least if you set them correctly (I use an external HDMI-to-SPDIF converter). Other units will give you 88.2 (like my Wadia SACD player).

176.4 ain't bad, it's an exact 8-to-1 decimation (should be "octamation") of true DSD, and it's the best bitstream I've been able to get from an SACD. But it's not true DSD!

Seems something is possible.

I forgot about the PS3, it needs an additional device like you said to go in to a S/PDIF DAC though. Sony removed SACD from the PS3 too
frown.gif
Is the 88.2 on your Wadia a read of the SACD layer or an upsample of the CD layer? (44.1 x2)

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 32
If Oppo had kept the DSD >>> analog conversion with the BDP-80, it would've been an automatic buy for me. But now, I will just wait for the upcoming summer lease of the 3 Sony Blu-ray players with SACD playback (Kal Rubinson of Stereophile confirmed these will output the native DSD bitstream via their HDMI outputs).

My wallet also need a rest since I just purchase during Thanksgiving an Onkyo DV-SP506 DVD-based universal player that can do DSD >>> analog (and DSD to HDMI) for $200.00.

I must say, however, had I not purchased the Onkyo, the Oppo would've been my choice.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The conversion and downsampling of DSD to pcm is not ideal however. The whole idea behind hi rez loses it's mojo when you have to degrade it from it's original/native mastering format at optimal bit/sampling rates. It's similar to cutting down 24/96 LPCM to 16/48 PCM although not as dramatic in actual terms.

Peete.

See Meyer and Moran 2007
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because it says Oppo on the front doesn't mean it worth a damn. It's still a entry level player and nothing more.

I would contend for 300-400USD a used Denon 3910/3930 or Marantz SA8001 is a far better way to spend your money if you want a truly great performing Universal player (the Marantz isn't quite Universal but it's a great player none the less) for not a lot of cash.

Another drawback to these players are the throw away nature of them....like 50 or 60 dollar Wal Mart specials they are not meant to last very long and it's highly likely the Wal Mart special has the same transport/servo chip in it as the Oppo. Of course I could be wrong but Oppo isn't going to make a palyer they can't make any money on. So what suffers in this mix ? Parts quality and chassis rigidity/mass which are critical to SQ. Don't throw away 300USD on half baked low budget stuff unless you have no other choice. Then again if you do have 300+ and change get yourself a used Maratz/Denon player instead......way way way WAYYYYYYYY better source.

Just my 2 cents when it comes to cheap spinners...

Peete.

it was awarded a Class A in Stereophile for source components. must be garbage indeed. have you at least heard it?

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it was awarded a Class A in Stereophile for source components. must be garbage indeed. have you at least heard it?

A glowing reference from Stereophile frankly means nothing, one way or another, a Stereophile journo gave a glowing review to a radical new cable design that when tested was functionally broken, great ears huh
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 32
good point, but at least they audition the player. i was pointing out that head-fi is polluted with generalization, oversimplification and snobbery. product that doesn't have a "proper" pricetag? ->can't be good. it doesn't have class A power supply? ->can't be good. and so on.

i like the old saying; generalization, in general, is wrong.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
head-fi is polluted with generalization, oversimplification and snobbery. product that doesn't have a "proper" pricetag? ->can't be good. it doesn't have class A power supply? ->can't be good. and so on...

Indeed !

On the MatrixHiFi site (Spanish) they do several blind comparisons of expensive and cheap gear, on numerous occaisions they are impossible to distinguish despite some pieces being 60x the price of others !!

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #29 of 32
Nice BD player for sure with added music features. Still a good buy.

Probably get better treatment if this forum is anything iike avsforum or such.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if this one will get repackaged and sold for $3,000, as well.

Not quite $3K, but you can now stop wondering....here's the Oppo BDP-80 (top) and the very similar Cambridge Audio BD-650 (bottom, $700 @ audioadvisor.com as of this post)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back