Oppo 83 SE vs Emotiva ERC-1
Apr 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you could mod just about anything, but why are you already talking about moding the as yet unreleased DAC? The stock Emotiva cd player already is a winner, IMO.

I tried it for 30 days and couldn't bring myself to send it back. And I already had the exceptional Oppo SE as well as the outstanding Arcam FMJ.

If I were looking for a DAC, this would certainly be on my short list.

I'd probably would replace the opamps...there is a replacement opamp wich is said to be top notch beating all other chips. And probably change some caps in the analog section. For 300 quit you have to make sacrifices, wich you can fix yourself easally by putting high end components in. It will surpass most dacs for a fraction of the cost.

I read there will be a smaller, simpler version as well, without headphone socket and digital volume control. I dunno why they put digital control in there since analog has better control anyway. headphone socket will also be mediocre compared to full headphone amp.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #47 of 56
Let me understand this -- you're advising people to replace a product that doesn't even exist, much less one that none of us has heard?

Call me old-fashioned, but I usually like to see the facts before announcing a verdict.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Let me understand this -- you're advising people to replace a product that doesn't even exist, much less one that none of us has heard?

Call me old-fashioned, but I usually like to see the facts before announcing a verdict.

Trust me, it can be easally improved...like anything else commercial. For 300, there's always a compromise somewhere...wich you can fix yourself...better resistors, better caps, etc.

You don't seriously think they can use high end caps costing serious money and still make a healthy profit for 300?!

People will change/mod this puppy as soon as it is out, i just know it. Some won't and are happy with the standard version but experienced modders will change things! Huge improvements can be had in the analog sections.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me, ...

That's the part I'm having trouble with, no offense intended -- pontificating in a vacuum.

What do you say we recess this conversation about theoretical fixes to a sound we haven't heard from a product that doesn't yet exist at least until after the DAC comes out.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

That's the part I'm having trouble with, no offense intended -- pontificating in a vaccum.

What do you say we recess this conversation about theoretical fixes to a sound we haven't heard from a product that doesn't yet exist at least until after the DAC comes out.

The dac is allready known, also it's properties, so we're not talking into a vaccum.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dac is allready known, also it's properties, so we're not talking into a vacuum.

With due respect, it's easy to have thousands of posts when you have such strong opinions on gear you couldn't possibly have heard.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

With due respect, it's easy to have thousands of posts when you have such strong opinions on gear you couldn't possibly have heard.

Neither did you. The reason why the dac will be better is because it has an analoge stage(discrete), wich the cdplayer lacks. Simple as that, even you could read the forums.

Especially the analogue stage is perfect for modding, better resistors and caps will enhance sound considerably. Better opamps...

I guess you expect a bit too much for the money, sorry.

You posted the link to the emotiva forum, so i suggest you read it carefully...then you can filter out quite some information about components used and design. Also some people have concerns about the digital volume control...wich has more impact on the sound then an analogue pot! There is a headphone socket on the dac, but there is no headphone amp stage in there(like most amplifiers, hence they sound all mediocre), so, i can tell you beforehand that the headphone out will sound mediocre compared to a dedicated dac-headphone amp combination.

We'll see when the first reviews will come who's on the money here. That'll be summer/autumn.

So, with all due respect, i know what i am talking about and i will not be easally blown away. heard it all, from cheap to ultra high end.

Nonetheless it's a neat dac to keep an eye on, but i am sure i would change some things in the dac to enhance sound!
As you can read in the emotiva forum, also other experienced people allready have some concerns about the dac... You have to cut corners for 300-400 quit and wanna do it all. It's simply impossible! there will be some weaknesses and by modding you can eliminate them yourself...You can also determin how much you wanna spend on the higher end components, since a modder doesn't have a target selling point to consider but only wants best sound.

Just to counter attack the vacuum; Any bold statements from emotiva is also just advertising! Will it be better then the dac in the cdplayer, no doubt about that (Analogue stage)...will it beat alot of really high end gear, not so sure about that.

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This does not look like a 400 CDP.. Just proves what a rip off a lot of the really hi end is.. I seen worse looking CDPers that sell for 1,600, with so so loading drawers.. Just gets me more skeptical when ultra Hi end companies re bandage the oppo83 & sell it as their own BRP for 5X's the price of the Oppo..

Oddly enough it seems the bane of all things good and holy to high end playback - the iPod - has ushered in a new era of reasonable high end audio. It ha brought awareness to the masses where before high-end was for dweebs with more money than sense. I was one of those myself.

May 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #54 of 56

Quote:
Quote:

Neither did you. The reason why the dac will be better is because it has an analoge stage(discrete), wich the cdplayer lacks. Simple as that, even you could read the forums.

Especially the analogue stage is perfect for modding, better resistors and caps will enhance sound considerably. Better opamps...

I guess you expect a bit too much for the money, sorry.

You posted the link to the emotiva forum, so i suggest you read it carefully...then you can filter out quite some information about components used and design. Also some people have concerns about the digital volume control...wich has more impact on the sound then an analogue pot! There is a headphone socket on the dac, but there is no headphone amp stage in there(like most amplifiers, hence they sound all mediocre), so, i can tell you beforehand that the headphone out will sound mediocre compared to a dedicated dac-headphone amp combination.

We'll see when the first reviews will come who's on the money here. That'll be summer/autumn.

So, with all due respect, i know what i am talking about and i will not be easally blown away. heard it all, from cheap to ultra high end.

Nonetheless it's a neat dac to keep an eye on, but i am sure i would change some things in the dac to enhance sound!
As you can read in the emotiva forum, also other experienced people allready have some concerns about the dac... You have to cut corners for 300-400 quit and wanna do it all. It's simply impossible! there will be some weaknesses and by modding you can eliminate them yourself...You can also determin how much you wanna spend on the higher end components, since a modder doesn't have a target selling point to consider but only wants best sound.

Just to counter attack the vacuum; Any bold statements from emotiva is also just advertising! Will it be better then the dac in the cdplayer, no doubt about that (Analogue stage)...will it beat alot of really high end gear, not so sure about that.

Just to clarify:

I've clearly stated my findings with regard to the Emotiva CD player. Someone else may agree or disagree, but at least I have listened to this product and done the comparisons.

I'm not the one here who is making claims about how a future DAC may or may not sound.

What I find objectionable is someone who makes claims about a product that is still vaporware while proclaiming that he has "heard it all."

Not yet you haven't.

May 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #55 of 56
At this point it's all a assumption.. I do think people jump the gun & already have modding planned before even buying it. All products are adjusted to fit a certain budget, so I'm sure some parts were subsituted to cut cost.. Of course, it's not out yet.. So no one can judge the sound.. I think people feel it's cheaper to mod already good equipment then pay more for a different model, even one that they never heard before.

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #56 of 56
Has someone connect his headphone on the xlr connectors? Is it a difference to other cd players or are there no great differences between cd players/headphones connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back