Oppo 83 SE vs Emotiva ERC-1
Jan 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #16 of 56
I just received my ERC-1 too, and yes I agree. It's definitely a looker. One solid piece of machine. Initial listening shows nothing groundbreaking but definitely good solid sound for the price. The remote is a work of art!

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 56
I'm sorry, but Emotiva products look like they belong in a 1970s sci-fi movie.

emotiva.jpg

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but Emotiva products look like they belong in a 1970s sci-fi movie.

haha id disagree, looks like it would look better in the new Star Trek film, than in say Star Wars: A New Hope
atsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 56
The Emotiva got even better after another week of use. I say this as one who has never been much of a believer in "burn-in."

The Oppo was great straight out of the box.

In looks and construction: The Oppo is quite a bit improved compared to the company's earlier models. That said, I would love to own an Oppo with the looks and build of the Emotiva.

I am keeping the Oppo for one reason -- what beats its audio/video performance for anywhere near its price? The Oppo rocks.

I was attracted to the Emotiva for two reasons: its slot-loading feature and its almost ridiculously low price compared to the competition.

Where is the rest of the industry -- do they think consumers really want those silly, flimsy drawers?

But slot-loading aside, the Emotiva is staying at the end of its 30-day tryout because of robust construction, great looks, top-notch performance and affordable price.

I hope this helps others with the same questions I had about these two fine units.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #21 of 56
I just saw this thread and wanted to say... I used to have the PS Audio DL III and since getting the ERC-1 I have sold my DL III. I liked the sound of this CD player better than the DL III. I still have my Power Plant Premere. But wanted to say since Emotiva offers the 30 day trial if you are thinking about it give it a try. Shipping isnt that expensive.

Taam

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #22 of 56
So I can get an ERC-1 on sale since I will not be able to afford a Audio-gd CD-7SE transport. They had it down to $319 during the holidays and now its out of stock at $399. Rumor has it that an Emotiva DAC is also on the way soon that will also be ridiculously inexpensive.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtntrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can get an ERC-1 on sale since I will not be able to afford a Audio-gd CD-7SE transport. They had it down to $319 during the holidays and now its out of stock at $399. Rumor has it that an Emotiva DAC is also on the way soon that will also be ridiculously inexpensive.

Yup and will supposedly be using the same AD1955 dac chip that is in the ERC-1, though from what i gathered in the forum, it will be just one chip, not two or four. But as far as sigma delta dac chips go, this one is multibit and supposed to be one of the better ones.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 56
This does not look like a 400 CDP.. Just proves what a rip off a lot of the really hi end is.. I seen worse looking CDPers that sell for 1,600, with so so loading drawers.. Just gets me more skeptical when ultra Hi end companies re bandage the oppo83 & sell it as their own BRP for 5X's the price of the Oppo..

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by orys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want to buy the ERC-1 too but i'm in Europe. Any ideas how to get one guys? i am willing to buy right now!!!

Emotiva has alot of customers in europe, send them an email and ask them what you ned to do

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #28 of 56
Just wanted to chime in and say I also really enjoy the Emotiva. I don't own it, but got to listen for almost a week at a friend's vacation home, using the wonderful but not cheap Eficion F200 speakers. He added it to his system in place of a higher end Cambridge unit, which was itself a great value. I'd easily put the Emotiva on the level of some of my older high end players from Theta and Lexicon.

I own an Oppo 83 (non-SE) but just send the audio out through HDMI, so I can't comment on how they compare.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #30 of 56
After three months of use, I can confidently recommend the Oppo SE and the Emotiva ERC-1.

Which do I prefer?

The Oppo is well-made, good-looking and sounds great. By a (very) small margin I prefer its low end and soundstage. You also get DVD and Blu-Ray, each as good as you could want.

But the Emotiva also has top notch sound, and its build is way beyond its ridiculously low price point. And the slot-loading just can't be beat. Let's abolish flimsy drawers!

In SQ, you would have to do stringent A-B testing to tell any difference. Both the Oppo and the Emotiva play with the big dogs at real world prices. Pick one based upon your needs and wallet.

I'm a cheapskate, but I got both -- and still can't decide on just one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back