Opinions sought: upgrade my VPI Scoutmaster by getting the new aluminum platter?
May 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
I have an original Scoutmaster, which I really like.  I'd been thinking of "upgrading" to the new aluminum/stainless steel platter, though, like the new Scoutmaster II comes with.   It's $799, though, which is a good chunk of change.

Have any of the other VPI owners out there done this, and if so, comments?  I like the look of the new platter better, but not sure if it's worth the $800...

May 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 12
Have not considered it at this point.  My first upgrade will be the power supply and or the 30 hz motor.

Have you considered the superplatter as well as the big aluminum one?  Not sure how they compare, although I have seen the superplatter going for more than you are listing the aluminum upgrade for.

Be aware as well that there is a riser for the tonearm pillar as well, since the aluminum platter is taller than the lucite one.

May 18, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Be aware as well that there is a riser for the tonearm pillar as well, since the aluminum platter is taller than the lucite one.

THAT is helpful information - and in that case I will probably pass.  I don't want that much fuss.  Dropping a new platter in is one thing - I spent a LOT of time optimizing the tonearm geometry, and I don't want to re-do any of it.  Thanks!

It's not like I am unhappy with the sound I'm getting know - I think the Scoutmaster with the Benz LP-S is phenomenal.

Oh and I already have the 30Hz motor.

May 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Easy enough.  Have only had my Scout Sig since February, updating my Dad's old Mitsubishi DD turntable. I am still plowing through his 50s/60s record collection, running them through the cleaning system a few at a time.

I will consider the Benz at some point.  The 30 hz motor does not seem to be either that expensive, nor a difficult upgrade, did you find it worthwhile?

I agree that I probably would not want to mount anything higher up than it is already.  I have heard plus and minus for the aluminum across the boards.  It is too far away to even consider for me at this point.  Would consider upgrading the table to a scoutmaster prior to upgrading the platter.

May 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 12
My dealer is rather lukewarm on the aluminum platter idea, even disregarding cost. I think VPI claims it's a special construction that doesn't ring, but it's still a big piece of metal. He also seems fond of the older HW19 series tables over the new VPI classic (and the platter may be part of that). $800 is indeed a good chunk of money, though perhaps high-fi analog has desensitized us to the massive cash hemorrhaging - EVERYTHING gets real expensive, real quick!

May 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 12
I have a VPI scoutmaster also and find the platter to be quite satisfactory for the turntable.  I have heard wonderful things about the outer periphery ring and center weight though, so that might be a worthwhile upgrade for you, which might be cheaper if found used.  Also, those isolating bases are very effective at reducing vibrations (ie. Ginko isolating base).

Finally, another upgrade that you might find worthwhile which also improves other equipment could be a power regenerator.  I have a Power Plant Premier and found that it effectively acts similarly to an SDS system in that it feeds a perfect 60Hz sine wave to the turntable motor.  Since all your other equipment would be hooked to the power regenerator, they'd also benefit from a  blacker background and improved dynamics.

May 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the feedback guys. 

@ Monsuierguzel - My Scoutmaster is already on a Gingko Cloud 10 isolation platform (which is crucial for a TT IMO).  And I am using the Center clamp - it's great!

@ Mulveling - I was wondering about the ringing too - it's a good point you make.

@ Bones13 - I never had the smaller motor, so not sure of the differences, unfortunately.  Sorry!

Thanks again guys - I think I am going to hold off on this.  The $800 is probably better spent elsewhere!

May 21, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 12
I own the VPI  SSM, had the Scoutmaster before that.  I have added the Superplatter , (not the allum. one)  It made a difference, but a $1K worth, you will have to make that call.  If I was you I would invest in either the center and ring clamp or SDS first. I think both of these are money better spent.

May 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 12
That's helpful, thanks Tom.  I have the center clamp - I may go for the SDS next.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 12
I would DEFINITELY suggest you get the SDS and the periphery ring w/ center weight next.  Those are huge upgrades in the right direction.  In my experience, the super platter has a warmer presentation compared to the acrylic platter.  But that degree of change can easily be gotten (in my system) with a tube change or even a change in my vibration control devices (crazy huh!).

I finally tried out the aluminum platter and it has a more dynamic presentation than the acrylic platter.  Lots of "energy" in the system, and frankly, that's going to be a preference thing.  With my current cartridge, I just don't need THAT much energy in my vinyl rig.  There is a beauty that comes about with balance in vinyl, and I've learnt to maintain that by not upsetting that balance.  More musicality is welcome, but tread carefully with these "upgrades".  It all depends on the "tuning" of the system.

SDS, periphery ring/center weight are a no brainer upgrade across the board.   

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, sometimes "upgrades" can take you in an unwanted direction, that's for sure!  I'm going to go with the SDS next.  Seems the biggest no-brainer.  I love the sound of the Scoutmaster as it is (with the Benz LP-S and Eddie Current Transcription phono pre).  I don't want to change the tonality at all.  So SDS seems like the next logical step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back