Opinions please: AKG 240s (hot 'n' sweaty) vs HD595
Sep 23, 2005 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bfguilford

New Head-Fier
Had a listen to the AKG 240S yesterday and found a couple of things. First is that the mids and highs sound a little veiled. Some people have said that socket modding them should take care of that. OK. The bigger problem is that I found that after a very short time with them on, my ears were sweating like crazy and that's making me rethink my decision.

I'm now thinking about the HD595 (I know it may be a little unfair to compare cans that are twice the price). Can anyone who knows them both compare them for me - soundstage, brightness, bass, comfort/fit, sweatiness scale, etc.

My musical taste is all over the place... I listen to old rock (Stones, etc), blues (Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc), Clapton, Steve Earle, The Band. I listen less often to some folk, country, classical. I don't listen to heavy metal, hiphop, rap, electronic.

I will be using them on my home stereo system (through an older Onkyo TX-870 amp/receiver)

Any other suggestions welcomed (under $175).

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 22
Well I have the hd555 which is similar to the hd595, and the k240s. For most rock music I prefer the k240s for its better bass performance and liquid mids. Needs to be amped but you could get both a k240s and a go-vibe for $175 and be set for a nice long time.

The 240s can get a bit warm and I do sweat very slightly in the summer with them on, but the pleather pads don't absorb any sweat so thats not really a problem from my point of view. For 10 months out of the year (I live in New England) I have zero problems with that.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 22
I dare say that the 595s are the best pair of headphones you can buy for $175. The reason is it's so versatile. It's not too laid back or forward. Just right for me. Comfort is a major plus, i wear it all the time at home for 3-4 hours daily. Ears don't get fatigued unlike the grados, which i can only take 1 hour max. Best thing is you don't need an amp for it to sound good.

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 22
Yeah thats my only complaint about the K240s... its like a sauna for your ears in the hot summer. Fortunately with winter around the corner I'll be nice and warm. Socket modding removes the veil so IMHO thats a non-issue.

IMHO you might want also to consider the Amazon deal on the DT990...

Garrett

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 22
You guys should try and order some Beyer DT770 velour earpads, they are a direct replacement for the sweaty earpads that come on the K240S's.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
You guys should try and order some Beyer DT770 velour earpads, they are a direct replacement for the sweaty earpads that come on the K240S's.

Have you done it yourself?

Sep 23, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I dare say that the 595s are the best pair of headphones you can buy for $175.

someone wanna explain where you can get 595s for 175$?

jesse

Sep 24, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Have you done it yourself?

No I didn't get a chance to, Garrett bought them too fast! But, I'd imagine they would be much more comfortable than the stock pleather. Hell, I'd even dye them black with RIT dye to match
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
No I didn't get a chance to, Garrett bought them too fast! But, I'd imagine they would be much more comfortable than the stock pleather. Hell, I'd even dye them black with RIT dye to match
smily_headphones1.gif

Its an easy mod. The DT770 pad just stretches right over the AKG earcup... and YES its SUPER comfey!!! NO SWEAT!! The AKG's gentle clamp force and soft headband is the most ergonomic can in my fleet. Unfortunately thats where the fun ends.

The bass and midrange impact pretty much disapperar. Treble opens up a little more which is a good thing. But the lack of midrange and kick drum impact is the real down side. Sub bass still extends nicely, but with less 45-100Hz kick... it just sounds mushy.

Midrange lacks dynamics too. Joe Satriani's marshall JCM tone sounds like his cabniet is off axis AND has a blanket draped over the front.

Where did center stage go??? Theres NO center image any more. Still retains far right / left separation however.

IMHO the OEM AKG sweat saunas sound better, but the DT770 pads feel better... a LOT better. IMHO the DT770 pads sit the drivers up off the ear too far, and you start to loose all that makes these cans special. Its like Todd flats -VS- Grado bowls... same type of thing.

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
someone wanna explain where you can get 595s for 175$?

jesse

I just got mine from Amazon for $199. Also, I opened an Amazon Visa which gives you $30 on your first purchase with the card, therefore the total price was $169 plus shipping.

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
One question, what's a "socket mod"?

I'm curious about that too, planning on getting a pair of k240s soon. Is it related to cutting holes in the material covering the drivers? (my first guess, for some reason).

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'm curious about that too, planning on getting a pair of k240s soon. Is it related to cutting holes in the material covering the drivers? (my first guess, for some reason).

I'll copy / paste this out of a PM I sent someone a couple weeks ago... its a little trick many of the KSC75 fellas are doin' to bring out more of the highs.

Sure you just get a ~1 inch diameter socket and hammer.

Place the foam pad, fabric side -down onto the smooth/slick concrete in your garage.

Place the socket... drive wrench side up on the foam.

Hold the socket firmly in place and give it at least 7-8 good hard smacks with a hammer. Hit the socket around in a circular pattern to distribute the impact symmetrically. Hold it firmly in place because its going to want to jump around as youre beating on it with the hammer. Go to town on it, work out your aggressions, watch your fingers though!! If youve done it right, it will leave a little circle imprint on the concrete.

Search through your toolbox, for a socket with the sharpest edge to it.

When youre done it should have a pronounced circle cut into it. Gently pull the circle out. You might have to trim a little with scissors.

dscn61509sj.jpg

I'm completely enjoying these cans in modded form. I would recommend them to anyone so long as they have a small amp, or stout receiver to push them with. I bounce back / forth between these and my MS2. While the AKG has less highs and midrange projection, it MORE than makes up for it with spatial image and soundstage. IMHO they fit a nice little nitch... more forward/agressive than an HD580, easier to drive & bassier than a K501, bigger soundstage than any comparably priced grado / alessandro.

They certainly are not the most detail revealing cans, and the bass is bloated.... thats where the socket mod comes in and helps out just enough for my tastes. Good all around can, and for $85 you really can't go wrong.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back