Opinions please: AKG 240s (hot 'n' sweaty) vs HD595
Sep 24, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
They certainly are not the most detail revealing cans, and the bass is bloated.... thats where the socket mod comes in and helps out just enough for my tastes. Good all around can, and for $85 you really can't go wrong.

Garrett

I assume it's a tighter kind of bass bloat, rather than flabby? Personally I have no problem with lots of bass, as long as it's tight & right.
tongue.gif

P.S. thanks for the socket mod info... sounds like it could be done with scissors or xacto knife too, albeit with more difficulty and probably not as neatly. I'm definitely going to pick up a pair soon, need some groovin' cans that aren't bloated as badly as the Portapro2.

Sep 24, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I assume it's a tighter kind of bass bloat, rather than flabby? Personally I have no problem with lots of bass, as long as it's tight & right.
tongue.gif

P.S. thanks for the socket mod info... sounds like it could be done with scissors or xacto knife too, albeit with more difficulty and probably not as neatly. I'm definitely going to pick up a pair soon, need some groovin' cans that aren't bloated as badly as the Portapro2.

Hmm its been a LONG time since I heard a portapro... i for one wouldn't go so far as to call the K240s flabby. BUT they certainly arent as tight/refined as my MS2. I would say they bass is bloated, and really extends, but its also reasonably controlled.

IMHO you should scope out your local guitar center or sam ash and try to demo first.

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Hmm its been a LONG time since I heard a portapro... i for one wouldn't go so far as to call the K240s flabby. BUT they certainly arent as tight/refined as my MS2. I would say they bass is bloated, and really extends, but its also reasonably controlled.

IMHO you should scope out your local guitar center or sam ash and try to demo first.

Thanks for the tip... I got a pretty good idea of their sound (I think) from reading a bunch of threads I found via search. They seem to be really well-liked cans around here, and I do like 'dark'... probably can do without an audition with a pair of $80 cans, but will see if I get around to it. I'm actually kinda itching to just buy a pair
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #19 of 22
fewtch: I guess, in the end you've got to listen for the bass quality for yourself. Some find it flabby, some don't.

I'm in the don't camp - to me, it's just a very bodyful and surely phatt bass (in my terms, that's hippo-buttkick-bass!
biggrin.gif
DT770Pro/250-bass being godzilla-headache-bass, btw!
evil_smiley.gif
). More "in between the audience"-like bass than "microphone directly in front of the bass-drum"-like bass, for example.

Altogether, to me the K240S certainly isn't an uncoloured phone, as it seems to envelope everything like in a plush club-room atmosphere - while sound, (micro- and macro-) detail and dynamics as well as sonic image and balance still remain intact within that envelope. That's what really amazes me on the K240S, this thruthfulness within (whereas a lot of other phones, including quite a few more expensive and more widely respected ones fail to my ears due to some glaring flaw here and there, missing groove included...) - almost a white liar of headphones, but at least a groove diplomat for sure.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: You already have one, so that's just for the record: The above goes for use with a good low impedance output amp. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend the K240S so much - there are much better contenders for integrated amp/receiver (or high impedance output amplification in general) as well as portable use.

Sep 24, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Altogether, to me the K240S certainly isn't an uncoloured phone, as it seems to envelope everything like in a plush club-room atmosphere - while sound, (micro- and macro-) detail and dynamics as well as sonic image and balance still remain intact within that envelope. That's what really amazes me on the K240S, this thruthfulness within (whereas a lot of other phones, including quite a few more expensive and more widely respected ones fail to my ears due to some glaring flaw here and there, missing groove included...) - almost a white liar of headphones, but at least a groove diplomat for sure.
wink.gif

That sounds very sweet to me... for some reason "plush club-room atmosphere" just hits the right note exactly for what I enjoy in headphone audio (aside from classical music, perhaps). I think 03 Oct. (next payday) will be the day I pick up a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bfguilford
Had a listen to the AKG 240S yesterday and found a couple of things. First is that the mids and highs sound a little veiled. Some people have said that socket modding them should take care of that. OK. The bigger problem is that I found that after a very short time with them on, my ears were sweating like crazy and that's making me rethink my decision.

I'm now thinking about the HD595 (I know it may be a little unfair to compare cans that are twice the price). Can anyone who knows them both compare them for me - soundstage, brightness, bass, comfort/fit, sweatiness scale, etc.

My musical taste is all over the place... I listen to old rock (Stones, etc), blues (Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc), Clapton, Steve Earle, The Band. I listen less often to some folk, country, classical. I don't listen to heavy metal, hiphop, rap, electronic.

I will be using them on my home stereo system (through an older Onkyo TX-870 amp/receiver)

Any other suggestions welcomed (under $175).

Thanks.

With such music, you just have to buy yourself a HD595 ! (my K141S is far more comparable to my PX100 than to the Senn big boys)
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
You guys should try and order some Beyer DT770 velour earpads, they are a direct replacement for the sweaty earpads that come on the K240S's.

Are you sure? If so, that would be a cool (no pun intended) mod... I wonder how it would change their sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back