Opinions on the sony MDR V6's?
Jul 5, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 24
hey! it's about time someone supplied a graph of the V6. thx a lot The Boss.
BTW, also don't like grado. have SR-60 and don't care much for it.
but the V6 is pretty good, clean-sounding; tight bass that extends well below.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 24
I see mostly positive reviews.

However, someone said that they weren't detailed, where someone else said they were VERY detailed.

I know listening and preference is subjective, but something is either detailed or it isn't. You either hear all of the individual parts or you only hear the more prominent lines. So what is it? It seems like most of you think they are detailed.

Also, those grados seems very appealing, but do they really leak sound that badly? Also, is there any passive noise cancelation? I'm thinking that if the sound can leak that much then you can probably also hear everything outside.

The Sony MDR V6's are also appealing to me because they will block out a fair amount of noise, as the V600s do the same, add to that the fact that the sound is detailed, and I'm almost sold on them.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$115 for Grado SR-60's? A typo, maybe? They're only 70 bucks on amazon right now, and he can have mine for $50 plus shipping.

Ya hear that, swaffleman?
wink.gif

Sorry about the confusion. I meant that he should stretch a little and get both pairs for about $115.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 24
Get the 7506/V6 and feel your ears bleed from the abundance of shrill high-mid/treble.
I will have warned you !

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see mostly positive reviews.

However, someone said that they weren't detailed, where someone else said they were VERY detailed.

I know listening and preference is subjective, but something is either detailed or it isn't. You either hear all of the individual parts or you only hear the more prominent lines. So what is it? It seems like most of you think they are detailed.

Also, those grados seems very appealing, but do they really leak sound that badly? Also, is there any passive noise cancelation? I'm thinking that if the sound can leak that much then you can probably also hear everything outside.

The Sony MDR V6's are also appealing to me because they will block out a fair amount of noise, as the V600s do the same, add to that the fact that the sound is detailed, and I'm almost sold on them.

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the 7506/V6 and feel your ears bleed from the abundance of shrill high-mid/treble.
I will have warned you !

I have a couple V6's, and I agree that the high-mid/treble is a little much, and my ears get hot quickly using the stock pads (I haven't tried other pads). Mine are both well over 10 years old (maybe even 20), so I don't know if current units are any different. I prefer my Grado SR-60's and my Koss Porta-Pros over my MDR-V6's (and over my older Sennheiser PX-100's, and over my Sennheiser HD-201's, which are nice if you want really cheap, but that's another topic.)

PS: Of all the headphones I have, the only pair I would consider a definite re-buy if all my headphones "disappeared" are the Porta-Pros, then I'd also be looking for a new, really good $100-ish headphone.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the opinions.

It seems that these are mostly positively thought about. Can anyone tell me how they differ from the V600s? I heard that the V600s were supposed to be the "consumer" model of the V6's and that they were made of similar parts and materials. What makes the sound so different?

And are there any other opinions on these out there?

I'm not sure what accounts for the sonic difference from an engineering perspective, but the V600 bass is flabby, undefined, and bloated. The V6 in comparison is much more controlled, precise, and extends down further all the while still being very present.

A lot of people say the highs on the V6 can be a bit shrill. Grados have a similar effect on people. As you've never tried either of them out for yourself, the only way to know what you prefer is to try it. Rock music is usually pretty well suited for this bump, which does also have the effect of helping you notice details more.

Quote:

... someone said that they weren't detailed, where someone else said they were VERY detailed.

I think what philco is saying is that a truly detailed headphone can bring out the details even with a very neutral frequency response graph -- although headphones that can do this usually are a fair bit more expensive than the sub $75 MDR-V6's.

Most everyone usually agrees that you will hear a lot of detail on the V6.

Let me ask this since nobody else has asked yet -- what kind of music do you like to listen to and do you want an "in the studio" sound or a "concert hall" sound?

Quote:

Yes, the Grados are very open. If you crank them, people will hear your music. You will also hear noise around you.

There are some other audiophile-approved full-sized headphones in this price class that often get compared and contrasted with eachother:

$60-80
-------
AKG K240S (studio, 55 ohms)
Grado SR-60
Sennheiser HD-280
Sony MDR-V6

And for slightly more ($80-130)
------------------
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Beyerdynamic DT770
Grado-SR-80
Sennheiser HD-25

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #23 of 24
I will echo the same caveat others have made. The 7506 and V6 lack serious mids (top and bottom with nothing in the middle). Can you imagine if they sold Oreo Cookies like this. The filling in the middle is a most crucial ingredient.

In addition, the highs tend to be shrill and cause fatigue after some time.......and that's coming from a Grado lover. My advice is to look elsewhere.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #24 of 24
I have the V6s and I think they are quite nice. I also own AKG 271s which are better sounding but uncomfortable for me (My ears hit the phone) so I use the V6s all the time (with my stock earpads the Sony's have better bass) I am looking for Beyer Velour pads for both of these phones, I especially hope they will improve the AKGs). All in all I think you`ll be happy with the V6... It's a great all around headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back