Opinions on the sony MDR V6's?
Jul 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to all here. I'm new. I just registered as I've been browsing for information for my next purchase of headphones. I happened upon this site, and realized that these forums are a wealth of knowledge.

Anyway, I shall begin. I've never considered myself an audiophile, until recently. At first I was using cheap models, such as the sony mdr 150. I used to only listen to heavy metal and rock, but in the last few years I've been getting into just about every type of music there is. I've downloaded and bought tons of different stuff.

I realized, upon listening to a friend's pair of grados, that my current cheapies were god awful.

After looking and sampling, I eventually bought a pair of Bose on ear phones for $130. I loved them for a long time.

However, it slowly became apparent (because I was becoming more aware of what is in the music itself from my time in music theory and analysis classes) that the bose headphones were not allowing me to hear the full details of the music I was listening to. The actual sound quality was great, but the bass was so overwhelming that I had to strain and REALLY concentrate to hear the mids. That aggrivated me to no end once I realized it.

So, I searched once again. I eventually bought a pair of Sony MDR V600s. At first, I was absolutely thrilled with them. I could hear just about everything in the music. The detail greatly exceeded that of the bose.

Even then, after listening to tons of music on them, I'm realizing that the overall sound of the MDR V600s is lacking. The bass is weak and not very well defined, and the overall sound is thin compared to other headphones. While the sound was pretty clear, I'm still feeling like I don't get the full detail, mainly in the actual tones of the music.

I've been reading that the next step up from the v600s, the sony MDR V6's, were vastly superior to the V600's, even though they are made of similar parts.

They are close in price. I'm considering buying them. I don't have a lot of money, so something in the $50-%$100 price range is great. And since the V6's seem to be the choice of professionals, I'm almost sold on them.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 24
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!

Its seems like you've taken a very linear approach to your upgrades. I'll tell you this much, upgrading to the V6 from the crappy V600 will be a definite step in the right direction, and you'll probably notice an exponential leap in quality. The V6 is a terrific entry-level can, and can be made even better by putting on a custom earpad mod -- use Beyerdynamic DT-250 velour pads and you'll have yourself some comfy and awesome sounding sub-$75 headphones.

There are a ton of other suggestions out there, but I'll just say this: I've been around lots of different headphones in my time, and the one I keep going back to as my workhorse is the MDR-V6. It's one can I don't think you'll regret purchasing, even if you eventually move on to bigger and better things down the line.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 24
I should preface this with one thing:

The V6 are not perfect cans by any measure. They do bass and highs very well, and extract a ton of detail from recordings. What they do not do well is mid-range and soundstage. However, they are a good, cheap entry-level can that is leagues beyond what you have been listening to.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 24
Good, mostly flat, with slight harsh highs from what Ive heard. These are more production/monitoring cans than anything, but whatever floats you head-fi boat :]

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 24
The MDR-V6 is far from a bad headphone. I owned a pair for years and years and put hundreds of hours on them. Passed them along to the brother-in-law when the HD-650 showed up, but you could do a lot worse.

Look around for a refurb pair - I've seen them go as low as $50.

Since your budget is $100, stretch another $15 or so and get a pair of Grado SR-60s to go along with the MDR-V6. It's OK to have more than one pair, after all.
biggrin.gif

If you like rock and have already heard Grados, you should have a pair.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 24
v6's are good beater fones, you're just not going to give a crap how you use them. i've used them outside in the rain before without any problems. a similar fone is beyerdynamic dt250 which sounds a little better but the v6 are more comfortable and i'd rather go with the cheaper v6 because the difference in quality is very subtle.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 24
Thanks for the opinions.

It seems that these are mostly positively thought about. Can anyone tell me how they differ from the V600s? I heard that the V600s were supposed to be the "consumer" model of the V6's and that they were made of similar parts and materials. What makes the sound so different?

And are there any other opinions on these out there?

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 24
Swaffleman,

One thing you will learn in your time at Head-Fi is that everyone's listening is subjective; I find the bass on the v6's slightly underwhelming, but fairly tight. At certain frequencies the highs can be piercing which is tiring, these headphones have a bright sound (mids going to highs, there is an increase in volume).

The cans are VERY detailed, you will hear things in your music that you've never heard before. But I find myself analyzing my music rather than immersing myself in it. This makes them great for their original purpose though; as studio monitors. Either way, I got kind of bored of the sound after about 3-4 months so I'm going to upgrade to Denon D2000's soon.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDR-V6 is far from a bad headphone. I owned a pair for years and years and put hundreds of hours on them. Passed them along to the brother-in-law when the HD-650 showed up, but you could do a lot worse.

Look around for a refurb pair - I've seen them go as low as $50.

Since your budget is $100, stretch another $15 or so and get a pair of Grado SR-60s to go along with the MDR-V6. It's OK to have more than one pair, after all.
biggrin.gif

If you like rock and have already heard Grados, you should have a pair.

$115 for Grado SR-60's? A typo, maybe? They're only 70 bucks on amazon right now, and he can have mine for $50 plus shipping.

Ya hear that, swaffleman?
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 24
To my ears, the 7506 are poor headphones, very shrill sounding, too scooped in the lower-midrange, no soundstage.

And as a studio guy, I don't think they provide much detail. Enhanced treble/high-mid response is NOT always synonym of detail. I would never rely on a can that has that kind of hyped treble response to the point of giving me headaches right away,

Seriously, IMHO the Beyer DT250 are MUCH MUCH better. Even the Audio-Technica ATH-M40FS are better cans.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the 7506 are poor headphones, very shrill sounding, too scooped in the lower-midrange, no soundstage.

And as a studio guy, I don't think they provide much detail. Enhanced treble/high-mid response is NOT always synonym of detail. I would never rely on a can that has that kind of hyped treble response to the point of giving me headaches right away,

Seriously, IMHO the Beyer DT250 are MUCH MUCH better. Even the Audio-Technica ATH-M40FS are better cans.

What do you think of the SR-60?

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 24
Never tried it.
I'm completely anti-Grado, so take my comment with a grain of salt.
The only Grados I've tried are the SR325i and I don't wish to try anymore of em.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think of the SR-60?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back