Opinions on Shure e2c vs. Etymotic ER-6?
Dec 7, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #31 of 43
...I am in fact on of those people looking to make an accurate comparison. And as I read those reports of the ER-6's fragility, I was getting nervous about getting them. (as I am one of the many pedestrian communters here in NYC) I believe you have made up my mind, and I thank you for dispelling that rumor.

Dec 7, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #32 of 43
i have not tried the shure canalphones.

click here, scroll down about 50% and you'll see a couple good modifications for the er6.

Dec 7, 2003 at 10:16 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i have not tried the shure canalphones.

click here, scroll down about 50% and you'll see a couple good modifications for the er6.

Thanks for the link. I had subscribed to this thread and got the notification for your reply in my inbox. I've linked your mod in my French page about the er6.

Don't try the e2c. Unless you REALLY have nothing better to do, but I think you're married...?
wink.gif

The sound is colored and there's too much bass. They're very far from being flat. With my SlimX, I always have to use the Jazz EQ preset to get a decent sound, whatever recording I'm listening to. Those of you who own a iRiver player know what I mean by the Jazz preset: it's the only preset we never use with any other headphones, cause it's cutting off the bass too much. But it's all compared to the er6. The e2c still sounds MUCH better than any other headphones of same or less price.

The e2c's cord is too big and heavy (actually, IMO, everything about the e2c is too big and heavy). And don't be fooled by its appearence, the er6's cord is as tough as the e2c's. It's not about the size of the cord, it's all about the material and craftsmanship INSIDE the cord.

Also, the e2c tends to make a pressure on a particular cartilage of the concha, and it's kind of uncomfortable.

Another thing I don't like is that you MUST (not to mention I wear glasses) pass the cord around your ears (the phone is designed for this), and then either wear it in the back or not it doesn't matter. Once that cord is passed around your ears, in order to keep it in that position, you have to slide the little tube (see red circle in the image attached if it worked) as high as possible to tighten up the left and right cables, and again, it's uncomfortable. You feel like you're about to be hanged, especially if you wear the cord in the front. I hate the cord in the back (like Shure recommends): you can't sit, you can't lean; it's always pulling on the cord!

The isolation is excellent, no complaint.

Don't bother with the e2c, and I don't understand why it got the same rating as the er6 on Headroom. It must be the price difference.

Dec 12, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #34 of 43
I own pair of ER 6(i) phones. I was on a trip to wales where I attempted quad biking for the first time. I was with my MP3 player and ETY 6i tied around the player; both in my jeans pocket. Funnily I drove my bike into a stream with water wasit deep....so my player and phones were drenched. The player went for a toss after that, but ERs did not get affected (sonically and otherwise) even after their aquatic journey. That's something isn't it?

I use them everyday on the bus and if you can place them correctly the results are rewarding (cannot stress more about the placement...it is very very essential). I use 3 flange tip which gives best response (at least for my ear). As far as bass is concerned, I believe that the bass is just right. It is not over-accentuated as some phones attempt to do e.g. Sony. ERs have excellent mid-range and overall they sound sweet. I travel on a bus that has noisy engine and it snakes through heavy traffic. With these phones, I hardly hear these sounds and I am in an immersive experience of listening music. The queiter tracks e.g. Lacuna coil's Falling makes its way without me missing a single note even with all the cacophony around me. They definitley are easy to use considering that you don't have to coil the wire from behind the ear etc.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikslaphro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own pair of ER 6(i) phones. I was on a trip to wales where I attempted quad biking for the first time. I was with my MP3 player and ETY 6i tied around the player; both in my jeans pocket. Funnily I drove my bike into a stream with water wasit deep....so my player and phones were drenched. The player went for a toss after that, but ERs did not get affected (sonically and otherwise) even after their aquatic journey. That's something isn't it?

I use them everyday on the bus and if you can place them correctly the results are rewarding (cannot stress more about the placement...it is very very essential). I use 3 flange tip which gives best response (at least for my ear). As far as bass is concerned, I believe that the bass is just right. It is not over-accentuated as some phones attempt to do e.g. Sony. ERs have excellent mid-range and overall they sound sweet. I travel on a bus that has noisy engine and it snakes through heavy traffic. With these phones, I hardly hear these sounds and I am in an immersive experience of listening music. The queiter tracks e.g. Lacuna coil's Falling makes its way without me missing a single note even with all the cacophony around me. They definitley are easy to use considering that you don't have to coil the wire from behind the ear etc.

Glad you like your ER6i. Looping the wire behind ears is a convention, it is mainly to reduce microphonics, and it is quite easy to get accustomed to IMHO.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #36 of 43
The cord on the E2c earpieces breaks in after some use. When you first get them it's very stiff so the over the ear placement doesn't stay put.

I've never snugged up the lasso ring, I hate having anything pulling under my chin like that. They just hang in front of me no problem at all.

The over the ear setup is great to stop the annoying microphonic thrumming you'll get walking around a city with them on.

Also the cord construction is much heavier than other models and that was a major plus when I bought them. They have withstood daily use for I think 2yrs now without any trouble...and I'm not gentle with them at all. They just get wrapped around my iPod and tossed into my laptop case pocket without a worry.

The key is to go through the various sizes of earpieces and get the smallest ones that fully seal figured out for your ears. A full seal is critical to proper sound. The clear silicone ones will soften with use too.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsqueak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The key is to go through the various sizes of earpieces and get the smallest ones that fully seal figured out for your ears. A full seal is critical to proper sound. The clear silicone ones will soften with use too.

x2

Quote:

I've never snugged up the lasso ring, I hate having anything pulling under my chin like that. They just hang in front of me no problem at all.

I've never used it when I had my E4. I think it's for people who wear them behind-the-back style.

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, it certainly doesn't mean ER-6's are not durable... but the E2c is *more* durable...

I find just the opposite That the cables on the E2's were nightmarishly fragile shorting out internally in short order. I had 3 different pair of these & all shorted out in a matter of about 2 weeks. I have had many phones with far thinner cables than the E2's last far longer. That includes the much maligned EX71's which never did anything wrong as far as the cables were concerned & believe me when I say they were abused a whole lot more than the E2's ever were in my possession.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #39 of 43
My ER-6s lasted quite well for a year with lots of use on the subway and some use when running. In the course of the year, I did drop them a few times, step on them once and yank the cords a few times. They still worked fine, but a tear developed on the outer casing of the left phone, which I probably could have sealed with some glue but didn't.

Yesterday though I left the earphones overnight in my car. The temperature did not go below 45 F outside. But this morning the left channel was much weaker, even though the sound quality was fine. I don't know if this is a durability issue per se. I'll probably buy another pair if the problem doesn't go away because I'd rather not have the extra bass of the Shures, but the Shures are very tempting otherwise, especially since their warranty is also one year longer than Ety's.

-Chris

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #40 of 43
I have E2c (2x), er6i, and er4p.

ER4p is more durable than er6i. ER6 has a VERY thin cord. I did use it to workout. E2c has a pretty thick cord. (overall build quality i'd put er4p over e2c though). I dislike the way e2c sounds compared to the Er6i. There is a noticeable difference between the er6i sounded better to my ears.

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find just the opposite That the cables on the E2's were nightmarishly fragile shorting out internally in short order. I had 3 different pair of these & all shorted out in a matter of about 2 weeks.

The e2c used to have a cord problem but that was fixed with the later versions. My first pair broke within a week due to cord, then i got a new one under warranty and it broke within a day. But, i got a pair a couple months later and they have worked since then.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #42 of 43
I had the ER-6 for a couple years. They sounded great and were great for reducing noise in public, but they triggered something in me that made me need to swallow. It was really annoying. I also found that, despite being very particular about keeping my ears clean, I went through filters like candy.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillz10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The e2c used to have a cord problem but that was fixed with the later versions. My first pair broke within a week due to cord, then i got a new one under warranty and it broke within a day. But, i got a pair a couple months later and they have worked since then.

I have had the e2g (black version of e2c) for seven months (purchased Aug 2006). Happy with the sound and delighted with the isolation (they MUST be Kramer-modded, ie remove the wax screen washer with a push-pin... takes 3 seconds and the sonic difference is night and day. No sonic comparison with another phone is interesting unless this has been done.), but the cord, in spite of its thickness and seeming durability, is very unimpressive... it does not seem to like cold weather (ie listening to music outside), and the portion of the cord near the earpieces quickly becomes brittle and cracks, exposing the copper underneath. They still work fine but they won't for too much longer like this.

I'm going to return them for warranty and I'm sure it will be honoured (I'd be highly shocked if it weren't), but just a buyer beware...

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back