Opinions on Shure e2c vs. Etymotic ER-6?
Sep 26, 2003 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Rizumu

Thinks I like him.
I've been using the search to find opinions on both the Shure e2c and Etymotic ER6, and although I've found many opinions on one or the other, I've yet to find a side-by-side comparison of any kind. These are pretty much in the same price range ($100 new for the Shures, $129 for the Etys), both isolating canalphones, both designed for portable use...they're ideal for comparison.

So I ask, has anyone heard these two headphones? I don't doubt that the Ety ER-4S or ER-4P is much better than either of these, of course it is, it costs twice as much as the ER-6. Which is the whole point really, I can't afford the ER-4S/P.

Anyone? My instinct tells me to go with Etymotic. I'm purely interested in sound here (and isolation), so which is better?

Only reply if you've heard both phones and don't preach to me about the glory of the ER-4S/P and how it brings world peace and gives free blowjobs and such.

Sep 26, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Only reply if you've heard both phones and don't preach to me about the glory of the ER-4S/P and how it brings world peace and gives free blowjobs and such.

Free blowjobs? I guess I still haven't perfected the almighty seal.

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 43
rizumu, get your ass over here and try the er-6s. i like em plenty anyways. a god send for travelling.

Sep 26, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 43
pedxing: Both canalphones are designed for the same thing, I thought my needs would have been inherent in my asking. Nevertheless, I'll elaborate on them. I'm looking for an isolating canalphone that can be used for portable use (stationary and mobile). I'll be taking it with me pretty much everywhere so it'll have to stand up to some abuse. Somehow I think the ER-4P would be a little fragile for this, and the ER-6 more durable. Is this true?

I'd like it to be fairly easily driven. If it improves a lot with an amp that's great since I'll be using my CHA-47 with it often. Other times though, when I'm walking around, it should be able to be driven by the headphone out of a portable MP3 player or PCDP. Isolation is important. I'd like to be able to use this to study in the library or at home without disturbing others or being disturbed. I listen to mostly Rock, some Classical, Electronica, some Pop, etc. So it should be able to handle different genres well. More neutral sound is better.

usc goose: Got class in an hour.
tongue.gif
I'll make it down there soon though.

Sep 26, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
and how it brings world peace and gives free blowjobs and such.

Are these blowjobs unlimited? At $279, I could save a LOT of money...
biggrin.gif

I'll have some e2c's soon and would like to hear more about this comparison.

Sep 26, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 43
Hi,

The major differences are that the ER6 is truer or more accurate. It is a bit thin on the bottom (bass) but has better detail than the E2c. The cable is slightly more microphonic with the ER6 and it is not quite as easy to drive as the E2c. The E2c has more bass. I do not consider it better bass but it has more. Detail isn't as good as the Etys and I find the comfort of the ER6 to be slightly better.
So, and it is just my opinion, the ER6 is better all around unless you like a bassy sound or are going to use the ear phones to work out, in which case I would recommend the E2c.

Todd

Sep 26, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 43
Quite a few reviewers of the E2c have claimed that the E2c are much more convenient to use and much easier to take on and off. They also claim they have less microphonic effects. If you walk around a lot or planning to exercise with them, you might want to look into the construction and ergonomics of the E2c.

I own the Ety ER-6. Although I think they sound more neutral than most cheaper headphones in the market, they barely have any visceral or impact in the bass. If you like tight deep bass, ER-6 might be a good match.

Unless I wrap the wiring tight above and behind my ear, the wires are prone to vibrating and creating funny wire noises while walking around. I think they are kinda hard to remove too, and definitely an inconvenience if I have to continuously remove and resinsert them.

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 43
I agree with everything Todd said. I own both, and he described the differences spot-on.

pedxing, I find the E2c to actually be quite a bit less convenient to put on and take off than the ER-6.

Sep 27, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 43
Thank you everyone, especially Todd. You just helped my decision a lot. I can tell that I'll like the ER-6's sound much better. The only thing that might've convinced me to go with the e2c is ease of insertion (....that doesn't sound right, lol) and less microphonics. But more detail, more accurate sound, not overpowering bass, more comfortable...despite some more microphonics, the ER-6 sounds like the way to go.

Sep 29, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 43
Hey guys, I'm thinking about the same earphones. However I'm looking for the best isolation. If I understand the specs right, the E2c has 23dB of isolation vs. 15-20 on the ER6 and 20-25dB for the E4. I'm wanting to use them primarily for air travel, listening to stories and some music. In your opinions, and what I've said, would you say the Shure is the way to go? thanks

Sep 29, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 43
I own, or have owned, all three (how many times have I made this post BTW?) The ER-6 is much better than the ER-4 for mobile listening but still isn't as convenient as the E2. The ER-6 has some strange top-end characteristics absent in the ER-4. Somebody said an amp helps round out the ER-6 (but I'm not going to haul an amp around with me.) The E2 lacks top-end emphasis of the Ety's but still sounds good and is very convenient to use on the move. All are more or less equal in terms of isolation when used properly. The one mark against the E2 is the plastic tips aren't very comfortable IMO and the foam tips get expensive (try ebay.)

Sep 29, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 43
Dunbar,

Thanks for taking the time again. I looked at previous posts but still couldn't decide. I was looking for something more definitive from someone who has used both, like you. One last question if you don't mind: For basic listening (stories and some music) while flying (wanting the most isolation), considering ease of use and comfort, and IF prices were equal, would you choose the Ety ER-4P or the Shure E2c? Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back