Opinions on Custom IEMs vs Universal IEMs
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #31 of 37
Just wondering, how deep do your customs go? I have had both deep (originally for swimming) and not-deep (shallow) custom silicone eartips before. Unless you need them to go deep, e.g. you will be singing with them in, the shallower tend to be more comfortable, much easier to put in and out, and likely to seal even if you have strange ear canals.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #32 of 37
To the first bend of the ear. “Musician fit” goes slightly farther but not as comfortable imo. Luckily didn’t have too much fit problem, but my Roxanne on the left didn5 seal well and 5hey fixed i5 right away..

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #33 of 37
Personally, I spent few hours comparing universals and demos of customs, including most of UM line-up -excluding Mentor, and few Noble -including K10, and I clearly preferred the SE846.

Why did you prefer se846? I like these but the constant adjustment of the olives gets annoying. I've tried a million aftermarket tips of every imaginable size and nothing fits. I did order a UE18 but im a little anxious i may end up not liking them.

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #34 of 37
I've shied away from customs after a disappointing experience with a UE pair years ago. Multiple trips to the audiologist and units mailed back and forth trying to get the right fit that never did happen. My left ear has some sort of challenging internal shaping that proved difficult and actually I find that side to be far more finicky as far as keeping a good seal with universals regardless of the tips type I've tried. I can get it to seal, but there's often a shift that occurs far more frequently on that side to break the seal than on the right side.

I have wondered if getting molds at a headphone show by folks who were used to fitting for this type of usage might work out better. The EE office being so close though introduces a potentially better option. The ability to have that resource local and hopefully therefore finally getting the correct fit on the left side even if a redo was needed. Could be a real game changer for me.

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #35 of 37
Just want to cause anyone who wants ciems (and also share my pain : )) that there is a very-very small chance that CIEM will not fit you. Yes, the seal is awesome, sound cancelling is better in comparison with universal iem (but not drastic) BUT if you have somehow soft ear canal (like me) and it moves around more than usual, then your ciems will not fit you, thats a sad fact that I had to accept, no matter how good were the imprints. I have tried to make custom buds (acrillyc) and then ciems but they never fit longer than 5-10 minutes. One company remolded the ciems for me 14 times and they didn't fit. Either my canal pushes them out, or I constantly loose a seal or somehow they move inside my canal regardless several different attempts with different imprints and bite blocks/ I am not a musician (only as a hobby) but its a great mistery for me how people could dance, sing and perform overall with such monitors, I mean I understand how they suppose to work, but can only experience it sitting still in one position, then everything is great.

That does not occur with custom silicone tips or universal iems, because the tip is soft and moves with my *hucking ear canal. Moreover I've compared The same very knowles driver (Gv quad 32830) in custom shell and in universal shell and didn't find the difference in sound (only in noise cancelling) both fit excellent.

That being said just keep in mind that you may appear "lucky' like me. I completely support the idea of ciem and think it's a great thing that now it is widely available, but I haven't even imagined that in my case such a good thing could turn into a irritating nightmare : )) And also i haven't seen any negative reviews so maybe mine will help someone just to be prepared "in case"

P.S. Thinking about remolding them in 5-6 years in case it will be needed is a nightmare fuel. So maybe I am that one guy. Maybe someone can relate? Anyone?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #36 of 37
Just want to cause anyone who wants ciems (and also share my pain : )) that there is a very-very small chance that CIEM will not fit you. Yes, the seal is awesome, sound cancelling is better in comparison with universal iem (but not drastic) BUT if you have somehow soft ear canal (like me) and it moves around more than usual, then your ciems will not fit you, thats a sad fact that I had to accept, no matter how good were the imprints. I have tried to make custom buds (acrillyc) and then ciems but they never fit longer than 5-10 minutes. One company remolded the ciems for me 14 times and they didn't fit. Either my canal pushes them out, or I constantly loose a seal or somehow they move inside my canal regardless several different attempts with different imprints and bite blocks/ I am not a musician (only as a hobby) but its a great mistery for me how people could dance, sing and perform overall with such monitors, I mean I understand how they suppose to work, but can only experience it sitting still in one position, then everything is great.

That does not occur with custom silicone tips or universal iems, because the tip is soft and moves with my *hucking ear canal. Moreover I've compared The same very knowles driver (Gv quad 32830) in custom shell and in universal shell and didn't find the difference in sound (only in noise cancelling) both fit excellent.

That being said just keep in mind that you may appear "lucky' like me. I completely support the idea of ciem and think it's a great thing that now it is widely available, but I haven't even imagined that in my case such a good thing could turn into a irritating nightmare : )) And also i haven't seen any negative reviews so maybe mine will help someone just to be prepared "in case"

P.S. Thinking about remolding them in 5-6 years in case it will be needed is a nightmare fuel. So maybe I am that one guy. Maybe someone can relate? Anyone?
I had an absolute 'mare getting a set of customs that fit. Cosmic Ears, Custom Art, Empire Ears, Inearz. You name it I tried it. No dice. The common theme for me was that I was using the same audiologist each time. That was largely down to lack of choice where I live. In the end I gave up for a while. Then out of desperation as I find iems virtually unwearable for me (right ear small is too small, medium up is too large)I tried a different audiologist. First time fit. Couldn't believe it. Difference was this one listened to what I was asking for and read the instructions (as well as watching the video 64audio has up on youtube on how to take impressions properly).

Maybe campfire audios "audiofile" fit would be a good match for you @ddfcoold ? Shorter option for the canal and doesn't go past the first bend? Either that or try a different audiologist?

Irony is thanks to 2020 being 2020 and additional health issues on my part, I've not been able to get back to the same audiologist yet this year!

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #37 of 37
I had an absolute 'mare getting a set of customs that fit. Cosmic Ears, Custom Art, Empire Ears, Inearz. You name it I tried it. No dice. The common theme for me was that I was using the same audiologist each time. That was largely down to lack of choice where I live. In the end I gave up for a while. Then out of desperation as I find iems virtually unwearable for me (right ear small is too small, medium up is too large)I tried a different audiologist. First time fit. Couldn't believe it. Difference was this one listened to what I was asking for and read the instructions (as well as watching the video 64audio has up on youtube on how to take impressions properly).

Maybe campfire audios "audiofile" fit would be a good match for you @ddfcoold ? Shorter option for the canal and doesn't go past the first bend? Either that or try a different audiologist?

Irony is thanks to 2020 being 2020 and additional health issues on my part, I've not been able to get back to the same audiologist yet this year!
It's interesting, but the thing is they fit, then I use them for a week (all that adaptation period etc) and they start to move around, loose seal and other things. They fit and then the dont O_o ))
Maybe I'll try again later, but for now It's literally enough, I'm done : ) Universal iems fells like such a relief now Lol (I've been messing with cutoms since august, so right now I might be not very objective )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back