Opinions for AKG 240 vs. Denon D1001 vs. Grado SR60
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm hopefully getting a new set of phones for Christmas. Now I just need to figure out which ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would love it if anyone could compare these three phones. Or even if it's only between two, it would help. Or if you had to choose a phone in the $80 range, what would they be? Which ones have the most potential?

Thanks again!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 24
I'd get the AKG K-240 for the comfort alone (and that's about as far as I've compared these directly =). Or perhaps consider some MB Quarts, depending on what kind of sound you're looking for.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 24
I listen to mostly classic rock, jazz, big band, fusion, rock, etc.

For right now, there will be no amp, just straight out of my sound card.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 24
I recently purchased the d1001s and felt that straight out of the box they were incredibly lacking. I intended to use these for my daily bus commute and frequent air travel. I can assure you that you will be frustrated with these phones for either purpose. However, I am 100% confident that after my recable and dynamatting of the cups they are an incredible pair of cubicle and hotel room phones.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 24
When I tried the D1001s, I thought they were pretty good sounding for their price. Like other Denons, if you're up for some DIY, as fixt has done, you can transform them, cheaply, into much better headphones. For jazz and the like, I prefer the slightly bassy and full-bodied sound of Denons.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 24
The k240's are very comfortable and have a sound that I find very appealing. I don't like overly bright headphones and thought the grado's might be too bright for my taste, FWIR, so I passed on them. I just did a comparison with the AKG's and my Sonys and my Equations with an old Beatles CD(Rubber Soul) and the AKG's seemed to have the best, most balanced sound. The others were overly bright and even sibilant on some of the songs. But, for other material...especially hip hop, the Equation RP-21's are killer cans. Just my $.02

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 24
I've owned all three. The grado are very efficient,decent low end,but to my ears way too forward,even harsh at times. Next the denon 1001, very dynamic, versatile due them being closed, good for travel, cord is short but comes with extension, unfortunately left them on a flight. Finally the 240s, I still have them and pure listening enjoyment I cannot find fault other than they don't play quite as loud as the others, but as far sound goes I fell I'm love with them within 10 seconds of the audition. Very musical, I find them doing everything beautifully, delicately accurate. Mind you they are semi open so not good for travel. When I bought them I compared directly to beyer 880 and preferred the 240. Keep in mind it's not which is best, but which sound sig you prefer. I have a portable amp but prefer mine without it.hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 24
Agree with Trav. If you like a more forward upfront sound you might like the Equation RP-21's, but otherwise the AKG 240's...smoother and better for long listening sessions. Like most things, it's a matter of taste.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 24
Lejaz man these things just make me smile, all the time. I just ordered velour pad, going to recable with sweetcome devas next week.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 24
Tidbit of knowledge I learned from mcmcmanus.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 24
Tidbit of knowledge I learned from mcmcmanus.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lejaz man these things just make me smile, all the time. I just ordered velour pad, going to recable with sweetcome devas next week.

Just for future knowledge, where did you find the mini-xlr connector for the recable?

BTW, thank you everyone for your input, it is very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back