opinion on nirvana?
Aug 12, 2004 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Reck45

100+ Head-Fier
What do you think of the band nirvana back in the day? That is a band that just won't seem to go away. I listened most of their stuff out...it's lost the shock value but it's still awesome. Still on of my favorite bands. They have done one of the best concerts in history, Unplugged In New York. Some people say they are overrated but I've still not seen a band with such emotional value...seems like a lot of people just don't understand the music.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 76
overated, but I'm a fan anyway. There nice to listen to everyonce and awhile.

Aug 13, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madcat05
overated, but I'm a fan anyway. There nice to listen to everyonce and awhile.

That was a good one, I like them....

Aug 13, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 76
They definitely wrote some great tunes, catchy yet emotional and sincere (seemingly) at the same time. I think their "realness" is what made them so popular, especially following the 80's. I don't listen to them often, mostly due to having heard most of their good songs far too much on the radio or elsewhere in pop culture (aka Led Zeppelin syndrome).

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 76
Oh, I love nirvana. Dave Grohl insipired me to become a drummer, and Cobain had one of the most inspirational voices and beautiful songs of the decade. There is no question that Nirvana changed the world.

I was a fan before the "popularity surge" with their Nevermind CD. I REALLY loved their song "About a Girl" and it got me to be a huge fan. I am still to this day a huge fan and they are definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. It may just be that because they were from my generation that I like them so much, but it seems that everybody in the 27 club (with Cobain, along with Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morison, and Jannis Jopplin) are all some of my favorite bands/singers of all time. The Doors especially, I just love all these people.

Aug 13, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 76
Well, since you asked, ..............................
I hated the one CD I picked up. Which is also the only time I ever heard the band.
I can't remember the name, and I don't seem to have it any longer.

Aug 13, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 76
Bleach is a sludgy mess, with 2-3 good tracks here and there. Nevermind has some good songwriting moments but it's marred by absolutely awful glitzed-out production. In Utero is a great album.

Really, the only reason why Nirvana was the band that broke alt-rock was that they were in the right place at the right time. Musically, they were never anywhere close to being the standout of the genre or anything. Compared to the stuff that bands like Sonic Youth and the Pixies were doing around that time, Bleach was an awful album. But Nirvana was the band that, for whatever reason, struck a chord with the record industry, so they were the first of those bands to get a marketing push.

Cobain himself said that Mudhoney should have been the ones to explode, not Nirvana. And if you listen to Nevermind and compare it to Mudhoney's album from 1991, he was right. At that point in history, Mudhoney was the far superior band. It may have been a different story in 1994, since In Utero is one fantastic album. But at that point they'd already become the biggest story in rock since the Ramones, so that's irrelevant.

Aug 13, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
Bleach is a sludgy mess, with 2-3 good tracks here and there. Nevermind has some good songwriting moments but it's marred by absolutely awful glitzed-out production. In Utero is a great album.

Really, the only reason why Nirvana was the band that broke alt-rock was that they were in the right place at the right time. Musically, they were never anywhere close to being the standout of the genre or anything. Compared to the stuff that bands like Sonic Youth and the Pixies were doing around that time, Bleach was an awful album. But Nirvana was the band that, for whatever reason, struck a chord with the record industry, so they were the first of those bands to get a marketing push.

Cobain himself said that Mudhoney should have been the ones to explode, not Nirvana. And if you listen to Nevermind and compare it to Mudhoney's album from 1991, he was right. At that point in history, Mudhoney was the far superior band. It may have been a different story in 1994, since In Utero is one fantastic album. But at that point they'd already become the biggest story in rock since the Ramones, so that's irrelevant.

It wasn't bleach that set Nirvana apart but nevermind. While pioneers of alt-rock like mudhoney, ramones, sonic youth might have been doing more with their music. It was Cobain's teen-angst that Nirvana apart, and be identified with it's generation. Pioneer bands never had or could do that in their music.

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 76
Hmm strange that nevermind was so popular...I thought it was their one of their worst albums. I thought the best albums were In Utero,Incesticide and UP In New York if you'd count that as an album. The problem with Nevermind was that they added so many special effects, it became unintelligeble.

Not to mention the awesome remake of David Bowies " The Man who Sold the World".

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 76
I liked Nirvana at the time and still do to some extent, but they are overrated in the big picture. I would give them quite a bit of credit for changing the direction of mainstream rock, but (to make a gross overgeneralization here) I'm afraid I like most pre-Nirvana rock more than post-Nirvana rock. I'd say they started a generation of simple garage music with too much distortion and shallow, angst-filled lyrics from frontmen who may or may not have had any singing talent. But I did enjoy many of their songs
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I think their "realness" is what made them so popular, especially following the 80's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
My Generation >>> Anarchy In The UK >>>> Smells Like Teen Spirit
When music needs a good kick in the balls, it gets it. The question is, who's next? (no pun intended)

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'll receive the kick if it means a real good band arriving.
I'll be a human sacrifice for good music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back