Opeth - Watershed
Jun 14, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #106 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow .... Hello .haste!
It's imba.sensuki
biggrin.gif

Fancy meeting another auscod4 player here.

Welcome, hadn't noticed you here before.

As far as Watershed goes, I'll have to give it a thumbs down. It tries hard ... but therein lies the problem.

ahha, hey! nice gear
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #107 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might try Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses goes above and beyond anything Damnation tries to achieve.

dude they have the weirdest instrument in this song

YouTube - Green Carnation "Maybe?"

O_O! Holy crap I want one

lol more vids of the instrument

YouTube - Theremin Killed the Radio Star

the sounds reminds me of peter from family guy ROFL!

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #108 of 117
Great album. I still slightly prefer few of their earlier albums like Damnation and Ghost Reveries but I like the direction where the band is heading. Less growling and more singing, way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tracks 3. and 4. are my favorites on Watershed.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #109 of 117
Wow! Head-Fi comes through again. I tried this album based on recommendations here and I think I'm in love. This is the first Opeth album I have heard. For some reason I thought they were just another scream fest band. I haven't given death vox a chance up 'til now but these guys are such good musicians. I love the variety of the music they throw together and make it all work so well. Each song takes you on a journey and you don't know what lies around the next corner, Very enjoyable.

Must have more.

Any other recommendations to my "intro to death vox"?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #113 of 117
Hmm.. I stumbled upon Prostitute Disfigurement with high hopes (despite the name
rolleyes.gif
) from the things I heard in my search for new death metal, but I can't say they were really what I was looking for. Also, if you're just getting into death vox, that's hardly the place to start. I'm not convinced there are actual lyrics involved.

I'm having trouble finding anything I like with growling vocals remeniscent of Mikael's death vox. But if you don't mind stuff a little higher pitched (without being screaming), stuff I can recommend is

Fast black/death - Emperor: Equilibrium (just heard it, very impressed)
Melodeath - Dark Tranquillity: Skydancer, The Gallery. In Flames: Jester Race

Seriously, though, if you've just discovered Opeth, go and work your way through Ghost Reveries -> Orchid & Morningrise -> Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse, and you'll be a very happy camper. Still struggling to find music as complex as Opeth's while still being death metal driven.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #114 of 117
If you like Opeth you will probably like Daylight Dies "Dismantling Devotion". I find this cd to be the most Opeth-like of anything I've heard. There are the occasional clean vocals but mainly it has the low pitched death growling. I really dig their guitar sound too, maybe a tad slower overall than most Opeth but for the most part its pretty heavy riffage.

Of course you still have to work your way through the entire Opeth catalog, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #115 of 117
PWilson you are right. I wasn't ready for that big a step to begin my voyage of discovery. Working my way through Opeth's body of work makes things a little more transitional and I really appreciate their Dream Theater type of complexity and musicianship.

MusicJunkie thanks for the suggestions. They sound more down my path for now. I'd rather eat the onion one layer at a time vs one giant bite.

Much appreciated

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #116 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by holdendebeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PWilson you are right. I wasn't ready for that big a step to begin my voyage of discovery.

MusicJunkie thanks for the suggestions. They sound more down my path for now. I'd rather eat the onion one layer at a time vs one giant bite.

I was half-kidding when I suggested P.D.
rolleyes.gif
I like 'em, but I understand brutal death metal is somewhat of an acquired taste.

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #117 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I missing anything with the 3 bonus music tracks on the bonus disc version?

-Derelict Herds
-Bridge of Sighs
-Den Ständiga Resan

I assume the Bridge of Sighs is a Robin Trower cover.......

I have the deluxe 2 disc version now, the DVD has some great chapters on band practicing new songs and discussion of each members role in the band, amazing how simple and basic everything is for a band of Opeth's stature. You find out female vocals in track 1 is actually drummer's girlfriend

Good thing Ackerfeldt is there to lead current band because other members are not very dynamic personalities, great insight into band......too bad nothing like this exists for MAYH, Morningrise etc. period.

There is one great bonus song here: Derelect Herds
This could have easily been one of the better tracks on the main album, similar to Lotus Eaters in style using many musical styles.

Bridge of Sighs is a cover of famous Robin Trower song, shows Ackerfeldts fascination with 1970's era music, very good straight forward rendition, hard to pull off since this is an unusual style song and very famous.

Last song is a thumbs down for me.........a latin love ballad?
Sound like Enrique Iglesias love ballad with latin/spanish style acoustic guitar, no thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back