Opeth - Watershed
Jun 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #91 of 117
1. Damnation

I don't care too much for the rest because I don't like growling vocals. I'm a sucker for dark acoustic guitar melodies with clean vocal harmonies on top and this is exactly what Damnation does.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #92 of 117
I received Watershed in the mail last night and I am trying to listen to it on my computer at work. When I insert the disc a program called Opendisc pops up and asks me to sign up for something. I can't get the cd to play, i just get this popup.

My computer uses windows media player to play cds. If anyone knows of a workaround for this please let me know.

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #93 of 117
Simply close it or hold shift after you pop in the cd to prevent auto run. Right click on top of Media player to get the Menu. Goto Play -> DVD, VCD or CD Audio and you should be able to play it.

I was able to play and rip the cd on Foobar without any issues.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #94 of 117
or navigate to your cd-rom.. start --> my computer --> one of these is going to be your cd drive.. you can right click on it and choose open or explore or something

Jun 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #95 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I confess I am more of a prog metal guy than a death metal guy, by far. - do like "blackwater park" a lot, though.

For Prog Metal, check out Isis, and of course Dream Theater. And Porcupine Tree is great but they aren't prog metal, just Prog.

Isis is actually post rock / post metal / avantgarde / ambient, which is a pretty related league of stuff to prog metal, but it's such a different sort of listening experience

edit: crap, just realized the double post.. didn't plan on it, not going to mess with it, you guys will live
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #96 of 117
I just got this album an hour ago, and I'm listening to it now, oh my the mastering on this is really nice. I hope the other Opeth albums I just got are like this
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #97 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummmm rip the Master Of Puppets album to HDD and look at it's waveform. It's exceedingly quiet, because it was pretty much pre-loudness wars, but it has pretty good dynamics. I'm not overly worried about audio outside 20Hz-20kHz because I don't hear it anyway. How do you mean 'look strange'? These are heavy metal songs whose waveforms are always going to look strange compared to well recorded acoustic material

I've been told by a (reliable source) audio engineering friend that you can't look at an audio wave in Audition (or other software) and visually determine (for sure) whether the original source was lossy or lossless. Personally, for three songs out of my entire collection, and especially in the heavy metal genre, I'm not stressing too much about whether it's lossy or lossless. At worst, I'm wasting an extra ~80Mb storing MP3 data in a FLAC shell. If anyone can find a dead certain way to determine whether a WAV file (converted from FLAC) was created from redbook, or from an MP3 (ie missing information or dead obvious conversion artefacts), then I'm interested to know.

Here you go
Audiochecker - Home
Based on the algorithm developed by True Audio Codec Software - Tau Analyzer - CD Authenticity Detector

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #98 of 117
Opeth - Watershed debuted at first position at finnish music sales charts. Now that's quite something. Also, second on the list is Disturbed - Indestructible. In comparision, the new mega-selling album from Usher debuted at position 39. I like those charts
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #99 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by hayste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think it's their best since BWP, compared to GR and deliverance it seems so fresh and new, and yet the same Opeth we all know and love. was surprised to read that it debuted at #7 on the Australian ARIA charts, which is an amazing feat.. curious to see how others rate each of their albums.. I'll start:

1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Watershed
5. Damnation
6. Morningrise
7. Ghost Reveries
8. Orchid
9. Deliverance

Though I enjoy all of their albums, I'm not a huge fan of deliverance, too much filler for an album without very many songs.. I'm finding something new to enjoy from Watershed with every listen so it may just creep up my list eventually. I'm glad I got the vinyl version, too

Wow .... Hello .haste!
It's imba.sensuki
biggrin.gif

Fancy meeting another auscod4 player here.

Welcome, hadn't noticed you here before.

As far as Watershed goes, I'll have to give it a thumbs down. It tries hard ... but therein lies the problem.

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #101 of 117
they ranked #7 in Australia yet the concert tickets which have been on sale for 2 months or so haven't sold out at any of the venues they're playing at, Strange...

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #102 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Damnation

I don't care too much for the rest because I don't like growling vocals. I'm a sucker for dark acoustic guitar melodies with clean vocal harmonies on top and this is exactly what Damnation does.

you might try Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses goes above and beyond anything Damnation tries to achieve.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #103 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might try Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses goes above and beyond anything Damnation tries to achieve.

Omg, if it's that good, I have to give it a try as well.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #104 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got this album an hour ago, and I'm listening to it now, oh my the mastering on this is really nice. I hope the other Opeth albums I just got are like this
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree it is mastered well within the limits, but it is COMPRESSED to the max - so it sounds nowhere as good as it could potentially have.

The fact that it is metal does not excuse the compression.

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #105 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omg, if it's that good, I have to give it a try as well.

Best CD I've bought in the past 2 years, easily ... a real grower too
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they ranked #7 in Australia yet the concert tickets which have been on sale for 2 months or so haven't sold out at any of the venues they're playing at, Strange...

I'd go but I know for a fact that they're only going to play songs I really don't care about, so what's the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back