Opeth on vinyl with Grados.
Nov 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opeth isn't about being aggressive and exciting, so I don't think they are as good on Grados. They sound better on something dark and smooth with some soundstage like the Senns.

I'm just not seeing that. I just tried, but Grado + Opeth = Satisfaction for me...

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a timely topic. I just purchased the three Koch new releases of Damnation, Deliverance, and BWP, the Back on Black releases of Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH, as well as Watershed on vinyl. I should have all of it soon.

Anyone have any opinions about either the Koch or Back on Black recent releases compared to their CD counterparts?

RTN
I see there is some rare picture vinyl out there for Opeth Candlelight releases.....here is dealer in Netherlands with MAYH

MAYH

Also some Pix vinyl on EBay:

Orchid

That would be super sweet...
wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RTN
I see there is some rare picture vinyl out there for Opeth Candlelight releases.....here is dealer in Netherlands with MAYH

MAYH

Also some Pix vinyl on EBay:

Orchid

That would be super sweet...
wink_face.gif

Hey thanks for the heads up. I researched the differences between the picture vinyl and the regular black release. I heard that the regular one sounds better. I have the Back on Black version, and based on what everyone says, it is bright and perhaps not worth the price. I would be interested in opinions if anyone has any information to add about the different MAYH (or Orchid and Morningrise) vinyl versions. I would really like to get the absolute definitive version of that album no matter what format...

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #19 of 23
My first Opeth album was the limited picture disc vinyl of Orchid. One listen to that album and I knew I was going to buy more Opeth albums. Later on I found a sealed original release of Orchid on black vinyl and bought it. Comparing the two, the original black vinyl was far better (seemed to be a better recording and also much less surface noise) and so I sold the picture disc. I've had no regrets of doing this. I have not heard the re-release on purple vinyl so cannot compare to that.

I also have Ghost Reveries on the original roadrunner black vinyl and it sounds amazingly good. I did get Watershed on vinyl and I just haven't gotten into that album much. Maybe I'll have to try listening to it a few more times....

Oh and I did buy Damnation on the re-release black vinyl and I think it does sound better than the cd version that I have.

So, my recommendation to you is try and find the original black vinyl releases of the Opeth albums rather than the picture discs if sound quality is what is most important to you.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 23

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #21 of 23
Ahh, good advice.
smily_headphones1.gif
I still think the BOB release sounds good enough on my cheap rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 23
I don't have any picture disk but i assume that the image printed on the disk surface must generate some unwanted noise...the BoB reissues however are not picture discs but simply use a coloured "plastic" it should be exactly the same as black vinyl. The mastering seems pretty good, i didn't find it bright or sibilant at all on my system, but i know i'm generally not very sensitive to brightness....

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any picture disk but i assume that the image printed on the disk surface must generate some unwanted noise...the BoB reissues however are not picture discs but simply use a coloured "plastic" it should be exactly the same as black vinyl. The mastering seems pretty good, i didn't find it bright or sibilant at all on my system, but i know i'm generally not very sensitive to brightness....

I'm not either. I mean, honestly, I use SR325is.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back