Opeth on vinyl with Grados.
Oct 7, 2008 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Last night I finally got around to opening my copy of Morningrise that I'd had for a week and throwing it on my turntable. Sadly, my receiver lacks a line out so I couldn't use my amp, but as 325is are easy to drive I just plugged them into the receiver and chilled.

WOW what a combo! Black Rose Immortal and To Bid You Farewell were both utterly fantastic- now I know why people love vinyl, even on an old vintage table.

Anyone else have Opeth on vinyl?

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 23
Opeth isn't about being aggressive and exciting, so I don't think they are as good on Grados. They sound better on something dark and smooth with some soundstage like the Senns.

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opeth isn't about being aggressive and exciting, so I don't think they are as good on Grados. They sound better on something dark and smooth with some soundstage like the Senns.

?!? Well, I find them aggressive & exciting.
biggrin.gif
Though I would certainly love to try this on some Senn 650s.... hmmm.....

EDIT: You may be on to something. Though I love the razor-sharp tonality of the 325is, maybe a bit of warmth will chill Opeth out a bit...

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 23
I just purchased MAYH and Morningrise on vinyl a few days ago on "Back on Black" records ( They are reissues on coloured vinyl ), is your copy from the same label ? I should get them tomorrow. With my grados Opeth sound amazing to my ears, just like anything with some electric guitars in the mix, be it Yes, Sabbath or Nile...

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased MAYH and Morningrise on vinyl a few days ago on "Back on Black" records ( They are reissues on coloured vinyl ), is your copy from the same label ? I should get them tomorrow. With my grados Opeth sound amazing to my ears, just like anything with some electric guitars in the mix, be it Yes, Sabbath or Nile...

Yup! Morningrise is on beautiful grey vinyl.
biggrin.gif
I wasn't expecting it, so it came as a bit of a surprise to me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not a huge fan of My Arms My Hearse so I didn't pick that one up but Morningrise was certainly worth it. Nice album artwork on the inside, too.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 23
ah glad to hear that, so i must expect good quality products...My arms should be on transparent blue vinyl, i also bought a copy of The sound Of perseverance by Death on the same label
biggrin.gif
Great albums...

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 23
Havent heard them on vinyl but I remember listening to Morningrise with RS-1's and a PPX3 SLAM. In terms of a metal cd, it's produced really well IMO.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Havent heard them on vinyl but I remember listening to Morningrise with RS-1's and a PPX3 SLAM. In terms of a metal cd, it's produced really well IMO.

But it's one of the worst produced Opeth CDs and sounds crude and raw at times. The productions from Still Life onwards is some of the best in metal.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it's one of the worst produced Opeth CDs and sounds crude and raw at times. The productions from Still Life onwards is some of the best in metal.

Well, it WAS their second album.
rolleyes.gif
Even Mark Akerfelt admits that he finds portions of it unlistenable at times, but hey, I sure like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 23
Last time I listened to Morningrise on vinyl was on my speaker set-up and it sounded divine.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 23
don't have any on vinyl yet, but have considered picking up one or two now that they're avail. I've been eyeing Watershed esp. 'cause I don't have this one yet. I'm also a big fan of Damnation and have seen that one at my local spot for such stuff. Whaddya think of either of these two anyone?

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 23
What a timely topic. I just purchased the three Koch new releases of Damnation, Deliverance, and BWP, the Back on Black releases of Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH, as well as Watershed on vinyl. I should have all of it soon.

Anyone have any opinions about either the Koch or Back on Black recent releases compared to their CD counterparts?

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 23
I just came back from school and found my packet, awesome items, the vinyl used is VERY heavy and thick, probably 180-200g, packaging quality is excellent with lyrics and credits in the inner part of the gatefold sleeves, the Death album is even on a beautiful red/clear splatter vinyl
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just came back from school and found my packet, awesome items, the vinyl used is VERY heavy and thick, probably 180-200g, packaging quality is excellent with lyrics and credits in the inner part of the gatefold sleeves, the Death album is even on a beautiful red/clear splatter vinyl
biggrin.gif

Sounds amazing! Enjoy the records.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 23
Sorry for the bump, thought I'd chip in..

Vinyl gimmicks aside (coloured vinyl is nice and all, but I care more about how they sound), the mastering on the Back on Black vinyl (first 3 albums) is awfully bright, I can't listen to them for very long. I'm guessing they were simply done straight from the CD master anyway, so it's quite a pointless buy. Such a missed opportunity. Back on Black have been reissuing heaps of vinyl I'd like to pick up, Meshuggah, Death, etc. but I think I'll be skipping on their releases from now on. I'll be looking for original vinyl for these three titles, plus Still Life...

The Koch reissues are much better and worth the money, they're an improvement over the CDs, particularly Damnation which is very compressed on CD and sounds absolutely fantastic on the vinyl reissue. Watershed vinyl also sounds good, not as compressed as the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back