Opeth - Heritage
Sep 22, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #47 of 82
Sep 24, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #48 of 82
Hmmm .... Heritage is very different for Opeth's previous albums and I think I will need more time to make up my mind whether I like it or not. And yes, think Folklore is the easiest track to like on first spin.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #50 of 82

I went to see Opeth last night. I thought it in many ways was a really great concert. The more mellow intensity of this show gave plenty of room to experience how brilliant a musician and singer Mikael Aakerfeldt truly is.  The set was more than less build around the Heritage album (five songs), starting our with "The Devil's Orchard" , then later on a four song acoustic set!  and then "Folklore" as the encore.

I believe that most people present at this show by now aware of that this concert was not going to sound like the "old" Opeth, but maybe a more mature version. I certainly enjoyed this "version" and Mikael Aakerfeldt has a great sense of humour. I don't remember that I at any other progressive/metal rock concert have laughed as many times as I did last night!

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #51 of 82
I'd argue that this is one of their (well, Akerfeldt's) best albums. Akerfeldt is probably one of the best writers/musicians of our times, especially in the genres he covers. Anyone who thinks this isn't as good because it's not "heavy enough" or lacks growls really isn't appreciating his talent as a musician (not as a metal musician). I've also heard people say it's boring, and I really just can't understand that. This is one of their most exciting albums in terms of writing style, and you can tell it has just as much passion thrown in as their previous albums. People also say it's too similar to older music (from the 70s), but I think Akerfeldt has a very distinct writing style. I suppose sometimes it is subtle, but often it's very clear what is and is not Akerfeldt material. 

On top of that, the album seems to be fantastically recorded, mix, mastered, etc. Very dynamic...sound incredible from my open-backed D2000s, really. Almost eerily good.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #52 of 82

Quote:
I'd argue that this is one of their (well, Akerfeldt's) best albums. Akerfeldt is probably one of the best writers/musicians of our times, especially in the genres he covers. Anyone who thinks this isn't as good because it's not "heavy enough" or lacks growls really isn't appreciating his talent as a musician (not as a metal musician). I've also heard people say it's boring, and I really just can't understand that. This is one of their most exciting albums in terms of writing style, and you can tell it has just as much passion thrown in as their previous albums. People also say it's too similar to older music (from the 70s), but I think Akerfeldt has a very distinct writing style. I suppose sometimes it is subtle, but often it's very clear what is and is not Akerfeldt material. 

On top of that, the album seems to be fantastically recorded, mix, mastered, etc. Very dynamic...sound incredible from my open-backed D2000s, really. Almost eerily good.

I hope your not arguing with me! I can only agree with your perspective and that Mikael Aakerfeldt is a very unique artist and songwriter within his time and he has the ability to reflect on life and music (70's). Not boring at all, please go see them live if you can !

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #54 of 82
Quote:
I hope your not arguing with me! I can only agree with your perspective and that Mikael Aakerfeldt is a very unique artist and songwriter within his time and he has the ability to reflect on life and music (70's). Not boring at all, please go see them live if you can !

Haha, not arguing with anyone in particular. More just stating my opinion and why I feel this album has already been underrated and overlooked for the wrong reasons.

I was actually planning on seeing them live yesterday, but my class and work schedule kept me from that. :frowning2:

Really, though, the sound quality of the album itself is amazing...can't get over it.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #56 of 82
Heya,

This album reminds me more of Damnation. I absolutely love that Mikael just used his natural vocals, which are very good and there's no growling. This is what I'd call progressive rock/metal if I had to call it something. I really felt like this album was a turn from typical Opeth's sound. And I have to say, I really like it. I just bought the vinyl because it's such a relaxing, chill, harmonic album. It's not exciting at all, like some past albums, where it's just in your face riffs and beats. Instead, it's a very intimate sound, acoustic involved, some quiet lone vocals, the sound is relaxed, laid back, and not upbeat, a lot of flats. It instantly inspires a smokey old bar imagine in my mind. I absolutely love it. I dare say I like it more than any Opeth album, and I have them all, and I really liked Black Water Park, and later, Damnation was a total revelation in their work for me. Heritage is basically Damnation's redux, but with improvements on all levels.

This is an Opeth album you can play for anyone. I'm completely enthralled that the vocals are real vocals and not the growling. I'm glad they finally got away from that and into using voice as an instrument. Beautiful work.

Get.

Very best,

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #57 of 82
How can you say this album is not exciting at all? "The Devil's Orchard", "Slither", and "The Lines In My Hand" are all examples of fast, exciting songs. The first one in particular is still has a really heavy vibe to it. Almost every other song has exciting points. I'd go as far as to say that the intensity of this album at least matches their previous works. While I do agree that Heritage is better than Damnation in most regards, I don't think they're very similar other than the fact that they both have all clean vocals. Heritage is considerably heavier, more dynamic, and more exciting than Damnation. Damnation has a distinct soft Opeth style of that time turned into something unique (not really sure how to describe it). Heritage is almost pure 70s and some 80s prog rock/rock in general with a very distinct Opeth feel to it. I would say it's most closely related to Watershed, but even then...this is totally, totally different (though still so obviously Opeth).

Really, Heritage is one of the most unique albums I've heard from the progressive genre (within the past 10-20 years maybe). Akerfeldt is really growing as a musician, and I feel like there is only more goodness to come. I'd say Heritage resembles something as unique as what Radiohead can put out (Thom Yorke is a pretty damn good musician). 

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #58 of 82
Not bad so far but it's going to need quite a few spins before it gels with me.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #59 of 82

Quote:
Really, Heritage is one of the most unique albums I've heard from the progressive genre (within the past 10-20 years maybe). Akerfeldt is really growing as a musician, and I feel like there is only more goodness to come. I'd say Heritage resembles something as unique as what Radiohead can put out (Thom Yorke is a pretty damn good musician). 

I think it an exciting album indeed. (except for 1 track)

but "is one of the most unique albums I've heard from the progressive genre (within the past 10-20 years maybe)" is to praise it too high, way too high. this is not opeths field, Opeth's fields is death metal grolws and heavy thunderous music, they do good here but not that good as best in 10-20 years, maybe this year if nothing else come along.

they sure beat Dream Theater and their latest crap album though.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #60 of 82
I think it an exciting album indeed. (except for 1 track)

but "is one of the most unique albums I've heard from the progressive genre (within the past 10-20 years maybe)" is to praise it too high, way too high. this is not opeths field, Opeth's fields is death metal grolws and heavy thunderous music, they do good here but not that good as best in 10-20 years, maybe this year if nothing else come along.

they sure beat Dream Theater and their latest crap album though.

I don't like the DT singer at all....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back