Opeth - Heritage
Sep 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been you-know-what. Along with Dream Theater's new album, but I don't care about that band, although some of you probably will. This new album has no cookie monster vocals for those who have been looking for that from them. Opinions?

EDIT: Yeah, I like what I am hearing in their first 3 songs. It's all clean vocals but the album is no Damnation, the music sounds like something from their Blackwater Park era except with shorter, more to the point songs which I like a lot.

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 82

Quote:
It's been you-know-what. Along with Dream Theater's new album, but I don't care about that band, although some of you probably will. This new album has no cookie monster vocals for those who have been looking for that from them. Opinions?

EDIT: Yeah, I like what I am hearing in their first 3 songs. It's all clean vocals but the album is no Damnation, the music sounds like something from their Blackwater Park era except with shorter, more to the point songs which I like a lot.

OOOO...

They're back to Blackwater style. Opeth was great when they did Blackwater, then went down hill.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 82
I am really looking forward to hearing this....
Edit: looks like I'll be hearing it later today!

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 82
UPDATE

If you loved Blackwater park, you'll like this too

A little bit more subtle, but also hits high too

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 82
I liked it upon first listen, and I suspect I'll like it more after a few more listens.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 82

Quote:
I liked it upon first listen, and I suspect I'll like it more after a few more listens.

I'm on my third listen and I'm really enjoying it

But I fell like I'm going to just get bored of it at some point. Blackwater Park is still one of the albums I always return to, but this seems a little too controlled.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 82
Well, caught a listen at a friend's...Well, well....very prog and King Crimsonish (not a bad thing), but as stated controlled and subtle indeed.  Since this is a discussion, I will respectfully disagree, that it is no Blackwater Park.  Tracks that come close on BP (soundwise) are PITI, Still Day... and a mellow Dirge...BP has an energy to it that is just captivating...

That being said, I have it pre-ordered to add to the collection and I'm sure after a bit more spins it will grow on me more.  Not saying I did not like it, I did, but it was just a different vibe.  Good one nevertheless.

So far out of the three releases this year I was looking forward to they have delivered imo....DT's (ADTOE), Symphony X's (Iconoclast) are excellent as well.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheers

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 82
I'm listening now. I will let you know what I think when it's done.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 82

Quote:
I'm listening now. I will let you know what I think when it's done.

hurry, Im impatient 
tongue_smile.gif

(this thread is silly, the albums is not officially out yet)

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 82
Listening to it as I type. I have only heard one song by them in it's entirety due to the growling (which I cannot stand) and so far it's not quite what I was expecting. Seems to be pretty melodic vs metallic. I'll see what the rest of it brings. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 82

Quote:
No harsh vocals in Heritage?

and is the actual cover that horrid tree with faces or was that a joke?

No harsh vocals........and yes, to the tree w/ faces being the cover.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 82

Quote:
hurry, Im impatient 
tongue_smile.gif

(this thread is silly, the albums is not officially out yet)

Well it's over. I enjoyed it but it was straight up progressive. It lacked what I would think of as metal. I think it needs to grow on me.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 82
The album didn't really remind me of Blackwater Park. I heard a lot of Watershed in there, just without the growls, a little mellow-er and with an overall dark and haunting sound. It was VERY progressive sounding, and suddenly cut from one type of music to another quite a few times. I liked it, but didn't love it. 8/10 for now, although I can tell that there was a lot of talent and effort put into it, and I'm sure it will grow on me more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back