Opeth - Do they only have one "soft" album?
Dec 5, 2008 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
Opeth's Damnation is a brilliant album, and I'm wondering if they have anymore soft material?

As much as I love the music of their heavier material, I just cannot get past the vocals. I have never, and never will, like death vocals.

Am I the only one that longs for another "soft" Opeth album?
redface.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 25
You're not the 'only' one. However, Damnation, afaik was a 'one off' experiment in that direction.

I also enjoy a couple of tracks off Ghost Reveries (e.g. Atonement)

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just cannot get past the vocals. I have never, and never will, like death vocals.

Then just listen to the death vox until you like it. If you can't learn to like Death voxs you are missing out on lots for great music.

You might also start with something with a more accessible death growl, like Amon Amarth - With Oden by Our Side or Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams.

Might as well ask you: why can't you get past the vocals?

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 25
Some of their tracks mix clean singing with growls. Good examples are Black Rose Immortal and Harlequin Forest. For other songs you might like, try Isolation Years and Atonement from Ghost Reveries.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 25
My dad really likes Damnation, so I made him a disc with the clean vocal songs from their other CDs. You could try to check these out.

Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell
My Arms Your Hearse - Credence
Still Life - Benighted, Face of Melinda
Blackwater Park - Harvest
Deliverance - A Fair Judgement
Ghost Reveries - Atonement, Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years
Watershed - Coil, Burden, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega, Bridge of Sighs*, Den Standiga resan* (* special edition)

I think those are all the songs that have only clean vocals, not counting things like the piano interludes in Orchid. Some of these have heavy bits, but no death vocals. There are some songs on Orchid and Morningrise that have a low vocal/music ratio that might help one get into it. I can't say they're all in the style of Damnation, but some are, and the rest are Opeth-like and might serve as a gateway.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad really likes Damnation, so I made him a disc with the clean vocal songs from their other CDs. You could try to check these out.

Watershed - Coil, Burden, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega, Bridge of Sighs*, Den Standiga resan* (* special edition)

That's a good idea to extract the ballads/acoustic clean vox songs from previous Opeth albums to make a "clean" collection
I love Face of Melinda.......

Or.......
Just get the latest few Porcupine Tree albums which are very similar to Opeth "damnation"
-In Absentia
-Deadwing
-Fear of a blank planet

Or......
Keep listening to older Opeth and perhaps the extreme vocals will eventually make sense to you, everyone starts not liking them but soon they come to a new understanding of the diversity and unmatched drama/atmospehere/power they can convey

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good idea to extract the ballads/acoustic clean vox songs from previous Opeth albums to make a "clean" collection

It lets me get an Opeth fix in the car with my wife, which is nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep listening to older Opeth and perhaps the extreme vocals will eventually make sense to you, everyone starts not liking them but soon they come to a new understanding of the diversity and unmatched drama/atmospehere/power they can convey

Blackwater Park was the first album where I started to appreciate death vocals. I think Opeth is a good band to get into them with, because obviously Mikael can sing cleanly very well, so the growls aren't just a cover for lack of talent. They must have some purpose, which helps with the learning curve. His growls are also pretty understandable. It's amazing how seamlessly he can switch between styles live.

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 25
I was just about to suggest the same thing, select soft songs from other opeth albums and make a compilation. It really works and when I am not in the mood for hard stuff, its a good break. The song selection mentioned above is pretty spot on.

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 25
I think you're right. And not the only one longing for another "soft" album

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 25
The growls are an aquired taste. You should try to get used to them if they're the only thing between you and the "full Opeth experience".

Anyway, the lighter Opeth compilation is a good idea. I had a coleague that also didn't enjoyed them for the vocals comparing Damnation to Chris Isaak :)|) and returning with double conviction to groking their heavier stuff.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think those are all the songs that have only clean vocals, not counting things like the piano interludes in Orchid.

There are also a couple of songs at the end of the special edition of Blackwater Park called "Still Day Beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy II" that feature exclusively clean vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back