Opera – A first review
Jan 23, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #181 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, now that my Opera is fully broken in, I spent some time this past weekend doing some additional comparisons.

Sky, how long you spent for the break in? Can't wait for my Opera...it is in shipping.

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #182 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sky, how long you spent for the break in? Can't wait for my Opera...it is in shipping.

Really started to sound it's best after 100 hours break in. Even a little better after 150 hours.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #183 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm have 4 home (or office)headphone "rigs", and I'm keeping 4 home amps. That's it. Having the Opera has given me the last piece I was missing.

Uh, huh...we shall see.
tongue.gif

If Jan decides to offer an Opera MKII...
Resistance is futile!

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #184 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, huh...we shall see.
tongue.gif

If Jan decides to offer an Opera MKII...
Resistance is futile!

And Headphile has a new pair of Luke Skybeyer headphones for sale right now (deal 10) -- bet Skylab has never heard a pair of those -- first ones ever!
*snicker*
tongue.gif

countdown starts: 10-9-8-7-6.....etc.

EDIT: they're sold already!
I wonder who bought them? Could it be....nah.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #185 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Headphile has a new pair of Luke Skybeyer headphones for sale right now (deal 10) -- bet Skylab has never heard a pair of those -- first ones ever!
*snicker*
tongue.gif

countdown starts: 10-9-8-7-6.....etc.

EDIT: they're sold already!
I wonder who bought them? Could it be....nah.

I didn't buy those - I'm having Larry SkyBeyer mod my Manufacture DT770's
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #186 of 424
The review at the beginning of this thread mentions a higher noise level of 3dB, and hissing noise with the Shure E500. This sounds rather disturbing. Has anyone who owns the Corda Opera noticed this problem?

Also, would the Opera be a good fit for the Sony SA5000 headphones?

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #187 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielexc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The review at the beginning of this thread mentions a higher noise level of 3dB, and hissing noise with the Shure E500. This sounds rather disturbing. Has anyone who owns the Corda Opera noticed this problem?

I don't have a headphone with comparably high sensitivity at my disposal, so I can't comment on the behavior with the E500. However, with the K 701 and the HD 650 there's silence with maximum gain and volume fully turned up, whereas with the ER-4P there's a very low hum -- plus an irregular crackle in the left channel independent of the volume setting (the latter could be an individual flaw of my unit).

Quote:

Maybe.

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #188 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe.

Best answer I've ever heard.
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #189 of 424
Quote:

I think the Opera's warmth could only help the cold, sterile, thin sound of the SA5000
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #190 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a headphone with comparably high sensitivity at my disposal, so I can't comment on the behavior with the E500. However, with the K 701 and the HD 650 there's silence with maximum gain and volume fully turned up, whereas with the ER-4P there's a very low hum -- plus an irregular crackle in the left channel independent of the volume setting (the latter could be an individual flaw of my unit).

Maybe.

I'm assuming the hum is there only when the volume is turned up very high. The crackle sounds like a significant issue. It's strange that you hear it only with the ER-4P. Maybe it's impedance-related.

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #191 of 424
Quote:

I'm assuming the hum is there only when the volume is turned up very high. The crackle sounds like a significant issue. It's strange that you hear it only with the ER-4P. Maybe it's impedance-related.

maybe it's related to this particular set of er-4ps?

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #192 of 424
Marcel, has the Opera's soundstage opened up after the first 150 hours? I felt that this was one of the things where the Opera still lacked, as well as the Aria and the Corda HA-2 MKII for that matter.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #194 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marcel, has the Opera's soundstage opened up after the first 150 hours? I felt that this was one of the things where the Opera still lacked, as well as the Aria and the Corda HA-2 MKII for that matter.

If you find that to be true of all the amps mentioned, I think there's a pretty good reason, especially if, as I suspect, you're comparing it to what you remember from something like that Headcode Triad
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #195 of 424
Quote:

It's simply because the ER-4P has the highest sensitivity of the tried headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, it has. I'm not sure to what extent the HeadCode's soundstage has to be attributed to its hinted «loudness contour» and «soft-focus effect» and the fascinating sparkle it adds to overtones (which seemed artificial to me after a while, though), but the Opera's soundstage has become very 3-dimensional, clearly more so than from Aria and HA-2 MkII. Also it sounds more coherent than the HeadCode, resulting in better transient response, tighter and more energetic drum beats which sound more as a whole.

Resolution and detail are phenomenal now. The only thing that could be criticized (despite the absence of a technical touch and coldness) is the lack of euphonic colorations. The sound strongly resembles the original signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back