Opera – A first review
Feb 27, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #376 of 424
Thank you for the review Iron_Dreamer. Very nice reading as your reviews always are.

Though I'm still waiting for a comparison between DA100 + HP100 and Opera dac + Opera amp.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #377 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the review Iron_Dreamer. Very nice reading as your reviews always are.

Though I'm still waiting for a comparison between DA100 + HP100 and Opera dac + Opera amp.
biggrin.gif

I will have a longer comparison as I eluded to in that review, covering the Opera, DA100/HP100, and Aqvox USB 2 DA MkII. I just need a couple of weeks to burn-in and evaluate the Aqvox which just arrived yesterday. But I think if you read between the lines of my Opera review you might be able to figure out how I'd place it vis a vi the Stello 100's.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #378 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not so sure about that... if you don't use ASIO, the data might be resampled by things like your windows mixer etc - so the signal isn't pure anymore. Can someone verify?

Not exactly. First, you will have a new audio card named USB Audio Card if connected to the Opera, and since the card has been changed, the original ASIO driver is no longer can work. Bear in mind that the data from this USB Audio Card to Opera is in digital format, so the mixer also no longer can work. Remember, all those from wav, line-in, aux are in analogue format.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #379 of 424
Interesting review -- thanks, Ironmdreamer!

Since your reference is a balanced Gilmore (...?), have you by chance heard a DynaMight? How would it fare in comparison?

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #380 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting review -- thanks, Ironmdreamer!

Since your reference is a balanced Gilmore (...?), have you by chance heard a DynaMight? How would it fare in comparison?

I've owned a single-ended dynahi and heard dynamights on several occations (one where I did a pretty intensive comparison with my balanced amp). To me, the dynahi and dynalo are about equivalent in terms of the amount of detail they reveal (assuming they both are well built), the difference is one of tone/balance. The dynahi has a more prominent and palpable bass, whereas the dynalo strikes me as being more neutral. I'm not sure if the extra bass sensation of the dynahi is a coloration or an indiator of a superior amp. Given that the dynahi is the only high-end amp I've heard with bass like that, I'm more inclined to think it's the former.

Anyway, I think a dynamight would increase the gap in bass impact over the Opera, as one would figure from the previous paragraph. At least in my time comparing the two gilmore amps, I didn't find any noticeable differences in soundstage size/layering, so I'd expect that the difference between the dynamight and opera would be very similar to what I reported hearing in my review.

Personally, I don't find the generally insane size/heat output/power usage of the dynahi to be worthwhile in terms of the sound it delivers. The only real use for it that I see is for someone who is a high end basshead, who wants more powerful bass than their current L3000/PS1/HD650 balanced rig can deliver. Being that the Opera is a very different beast from the dynamight, in terms of design ideals, size, etc.; I think they both exist to serve different users.

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #381 of 424
Thanks for your detailed response, Iron_Dreamer!

I've had the DynaMight in my setup some time ago, and the sound just wasn't for me (maybe I'm no Gilmore guy?). Lots of detail, great resolution and soundstage, but also a bit cold, particularly in the midrange.

Although I wouldn't call the Opera warm (or particularly «musical»), it does the midrange absolutely right to my ears and has enormous detail, transparency and resolution as well. And most notably it sounds more neutral (direct-connection check) and offers more natural sonic colors. (Especially overtones sounded a bit artificial through the DynaMight.) It may not have quite the same soundstage extension, though. Its excellent Crossfeed circuit makes up for that.

I was interested to get a clue about the different quality levels among those amps, but I see that it's difficult to draw conclusions from other persons' experiences with maybe deviating sonic ideals. Nevertheless, thanks again!

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #383 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that's true at all. The main impetus to use ASIO (or kernel streaming) is to avoid having the signal mangled by Window's kmixer, which is something that happens before the sound ever gets to the sound card or device, for analog or digital distribution. Therefore it's preferable to avoid the kmixer if at all possible, no matter the device or mode of transmission (unless of course you're running Linux or OSX, where this is not an issue).

"I'm not so sure about that... if you don't use ASIO, the data might be resampled by things like your windows mixer etc - so the signal isn't pure anymore. Can someone verify?"

"Not exactly. First, you will have a new audio card named USB Audio Card if connected to the Opera, and since the card has been changed, the original ASIO driver is no longer can work. Bear in mind that the data from this USB Audio Card to Opera is in digital format, so the mixer also no longer can work. Remember, all those from wav, line-in, aux are in analogue format."

------------------------------------------------------------------
Straight from Jan Meier himself: "The OPERA uses the same USB-receiver chip found in most other
USB-audio devices. As such in principle ASIO is the best
solution."

Should clear up any confusion.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #384 of 424
Does anyone know how much better the Opera is compared to a Heed CanAmp? A lot of people are raving that the CanAmp sounds as good as much more expensive amps. Will the difference be noticable between the 2? Are the returns diminishing?

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #386 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be extremely surprised if the Canamp sounds as good as the Opera, or has the same level of build quality. And I know it wouldn't act as a source upgrade as the Opera can. While the Opera is a lot more expensive, I think it has good reason to be.

x2 (and i haven't yet heard the Opera). i say that having spent time with the can amp. yes, it is a very nice amp and it is a good value. but there are those who make it sound like there's little if anything made that's superior to it and that's simply not true. i opted not to purchase one as my maxxed out gilmore v2 se is a superior amp, and it sounds like the opera is a real step foward for the good dr meier, which is why'd i'd be surprised if the can amp was as good as, let alone better than, the opera. there is talk of a tricked out can amp sometime in the future and when that happens i'll be keenly interested in it. i'm also interested in a stand alone amplifier built as an opera sans dac. so let's urge both dr meier and the good folks at heed to bring these products to market asap.
cool.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #388 of 424
Shiosai,

Quote:

has anyone compared the ps audio GCHA with the Opera?
biggrin.gif

At your service Sir . . .

I have both and believe them both to be fine, fine amps. The GHCA was actually the first headphone amp I purchased and what drew me to it was the sense of total transparency / lack of colorization (not sure if that's actually a word
confused.gif
). In addition, bass is deep, taut, and well defined.

For the purposes of a more meaningful direct comparison, my comments will reflect these two paired with my W5000's as I believe them to be the most balanced of the cans I own. Please keep in mind that my hours listening to the Opera are only around 30 or so.

Tonal quality - Both exhibit good range, top to bottom, with the Opera seemingly able to extract slightly deeper and more detailed bass. Bass with the GCHA is well controlled nonetheless. In the mids and treble, the Opera comes off smoother sounding as well.

Clarity / Transparency - About the same and it would really depend on the individual listeners' tastes. For my taste, the Opera exhibits a bit more insight into the detail with the GCHA, by comparison, a tad clinical.

Soundstaging - To me, the Opera is a clear winner here as the soundstage seems relatively amorphous (i.e.; open, expansive) with the GHCA being more defined in a more box-like boundry. Not bad, mind you as that box is a big one; rather, it just comes across less natural by comparison.

Build quality - While both really are superb, to me the GHCA's build quality takes the prize. When you get past the flashier style of the Opera, which I rather fancy
cool.gif
btw, the understated and solid look and feel of the GHCA is hard to beat and really grows on you over time. Funny thing is that, although made in America, the GCHA seems more "German tank" to me - think Audi (GHCA) versus BMW (Opera). Again, it's all a matter of taste and what each individual's perception of ultimate quality.

Transient response - Both are top notch and, at this point, it would be for hard to say which one is better. I can see how one might feel that the GCHA would have the edge; however, this might just be more prominent due the fact that the Opera comes off as more balanced over all and does not tend to overemphasize any one characteristic. The GHCA's massive power supply adds to this perception in this area as well as it never seems to sound taxed at any volume. Not sure if that makes sense
confused.gif
, but it's just my gut feel.

DACs - As very little of my listening is PC based using each amps DAC, I do not feel qualified to make a meaningful, well thought out comparison.

Options - (bells, whistles, etc.) Almost forgot this . . . Fairly obvious going to the Opera hands down. Two different impedence slots, crossfeed switch, gain adjustment. pre amp . . . need I say more ??

Summary - Based on the above, my feeling is that the Opera is the better of the two soundwise and with its greater functionality, it seems to work well with a wider variety of cans / sources. Where the GCHA is unabashedly SS, the Opera can fool you in thinking that there are tubes somewhere in the mix - perhaps this is due to the smoother more fluid mid-range. It is definitely a SS amp that tube lovers would likely be very happy with. VFM - the Opera is hard to beat at any price range.

With the above said, in no way am I disappointed with the GCHA which I currently used my Senns 650's (w/ Cardas cabling) most of the time. These two are, IMO, a killer combo, especially with up-tempo and/or Rock music.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers,
Garry

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #389 of 424
GarryH,

thats a great write up.
icon10.gif

My mains cans are the HD650+Equinox, would you say the more SS GHCA suits it or the Opera?

I'am feeling that it might bit abit too sweet with the HD650+Opera?

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #390 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the above said, in no way am I disappointed with the GCHA which I currently used my Senns 650's (w/ Cardas cabling) most of the time. These two are, IMO, a killer combo, especially with up-tempo and/or Rock music.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers,
Garry

Thanks Garry for your input, it sounds like from GCHA to Opera is not a significant upgrade
icon10.gif
Great write-up anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back